Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Post Your Worst (or Funniest?) Sign Goof! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Post Your Worst (or Funniest?) Sign Goof!
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another incident from the annals of pre history:

We sent our sign painter out to change the sign at an apartment complex clear across town. The next day, the customer called, livid: "You were supposed to change the sign yesterday!" "We did." "Well, it reads the same as it did before!"

I called the sign painter in and yes, he had repainted the sign at the wrong apartment complex. Worse yet, being somewhat directionally challenged and in an unfamiliar part of town, he never could again find the place he had done wrong. Those folks probably never knew what happened.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Harding:
This went unnoticed for a long time. The company had their Christmas card photos taken with all the employees in front of the sign, etc.

SSSTOP!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, one more from me, it's not so much it was misspelled, but just a funny sign.....

Bob's Engine Rebuilding, any American six cylinder, $79.95, parts and labor extra.....

Also, sign installers hung a billboard sign upside down for "The Brickyard" here in Vegas, I called customer to make amends and figure out when to come and install it properly, his reply? Leave it, in the few days it's been up there upside down, office has fielded more calls than ever before, stayed up for over 20 yrs. till owner died and so did business....it was a full billboard, 16 4x8's.....

Now Mark; make up your mind, as author of this post do you want input or should we honor recent requests to STOP????? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Magoo:

Now Mark; make up your mind, as author of this post do you want input or should we honor recent requests to STOP????? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

No, hell no don't stop!

I'm truly starting to see effective sign work in another light! "Make it ugly, misspell half of the copy, hang it upside-down and WATCH WHAT HAPPENS!"

[Rolling On The Floor]

I mean I'm almost serious! It gets attention and that is what a sign is SUPPOSED to do! [Rolling On The Floor]

"Upsyde Down Signz" I love it! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops.  -

I'm trying to think of some that went out at shops where I've worked.

I stopped by a friend's shop and he just applied some digital prints. Only problem was he did some flipping and stacking to maximize the stuff he could fit for printing and Illustrator just does what you tell it so some things had drop shadows on the bottom and some were on top.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only word I've ever misspelled on a sign in 30 years was "tailoring" which I spelled "tayloring," but I caught it while I was painting the next word in the line and fixed it while it was still wet.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hand letterd in script on the glass door of a beauty salon "Wecome". Its one of those words that didn't look wrong until someone came along and pointed it out to them. I went back, red-faced and changed it to "Welcome"

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1052 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in college, the athletic department contracted me to paint "University of Central Arkansas" across the sideline fence of the football field- a huge sign for me, 3 foot tall letters well over 100 feet long.

The existing letters needed to be covered, so the athletic director contacted the maintenence department to have them send over someone to paint the background. They kept forgeting to send someone for about a couple of weeks- finally one day I noticed it had been painted, so I laid out all of the letters by hand with a yardstick- took some rollers and started cutting in and filling the letters. I spent most of the weekend finishing it up and I was proud of the work.

I didn't bother telling the athletic department that I was finally starting on the sign.

It seems that on Monday morning the Athletic Director drove by, glanced at the fence, thinking it was the old sign and called the maintenence department and told them he was tired of waiting on them and wanted that fence painted over RIGHT NOW--

they sent a huge crew over and painted over my entire weekend's work in about 30 minutes.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to sandblast mirrors, hand cutting the stencil patterns with an X-ACTO-- a huge, long process. I was making 4 small mirrors that had a detailed logo and read: "Fellowship of Christian Athletes".

1-- I misspelled "CHRISTAN"
1-- I misspelled "ATHELETES"
1-- I misspelled "FELLWSHIP"

The 4th one was the only one correct-- only to be knocked of the work table before it could be framed. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell does anyone know if a word is mispelled in Australia [Smile]

When I was an apprentice I was given a suite number in the Petroleum Building (downtown Denver)that said to remove all the copy from the office door (no other info)
as I arrived I saw the gold leaf on the outside of the frosted glass and there was a business name and about 8 names stacked neatly beneath.

I sprayed the glass with a soapy water solution so as not to scratch the glass and just as I was about to scrape off the name a scream came from within the office...I froze...the secretary came out and asked what I was doing...I told her and showed her my work order...she read it and replied "this says the Petrolem Building" I said yes ma'm and I'm here to remove it...she glared at me and says "You're in the Security Building.

Man was that close... same address one block over!

Oh... and the correct door had one name lettered in black.

Even tho I had to take credit for being in the wrong building, I told the boss about it...every work order from then on described the copy to be removed. [Smile]

A good lesson for both of us I guess!
[Bash]

[ May 17, 2007, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For wedding presents, we often do sandblasted glass signs that say "Barb & John Nafziger" and the date of the wedding. They usually are a big hit... UNLESS you misspell their name!!
We made them a corrected version.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The time I was on my way to a far away install and 20 miles into the trip I discovered I had forgotten my toolbox. I yelled so loud I had a sore throat for a day. When I got back to the shop I couldn't find it only to discover it was in the truck behind something the whole time.

[ May 17, 2007, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1052 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great googly moogly!

This is a clasic, but when I red this poost I thought of this comercial. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first sandblasted sign system for a multi family residential development re-naming the place "Chateau Glen"( even did up some billboards for this project) man I pulled out all the stops on the Main I.D. sign and tricked it out with all the "SignCraft Magazine" extras...fully carved flower blossom, multiple decorative posts on each side. Anyhow, sent out my brother-in-law who was doing our installs at the time, with my 35mm camera with the instructions to stop off at the one-hour photo mat and develop the pictures on the way back to the shop (remember those days?). Well he got back late that afternoon and we were both proud as peacocks and ohh #*!!%^#!! Chateau is spelled Chateau...not Chateu.
Still have a picture of that job somewhere.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I can't get enough of this post, another one, slightly distant, but funny just the same....some here are aware that I came from a newspaper background, as a kid my grandfather(senior editor of family newspaper business) decided that I was up to being a "cub" reporter, this was timed to coincide w/upcoming Boy Scout outing, a jamboree....when first issue came out, my report declared J___J______(one of my worst enemies in school) was the camp burglar, the following week, the retraction stated he was now the camp bungler, finally after the third time, I got it right, he was the camp bugler....... [Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Some classic, CLASSIC stories in here! Michael Clanton's story about the fence job has me ROTFLMAO!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

"What CAN go wrong WILL go wrong." So true!

I feel much better now about my previously mentioned goofs! [Rolling On The Floor]

Y'all keep 'em coming! Everybody should have at least ONE!

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Variation on the "spelling Mistake"

Handlettering a shop Awning in One Shot one day. "Suzanne's Boutique". Nearly finished.

Voice below: "You spelt it wrong" !!!!

Yeah, yeah, hear that all the time ... ignore it.

"You spelt her name wrong!"

BS! ... check anyway ... no problems ... mutter mutter ..get these smart arses all the time when you are painting ... finish the job.

Get down ... same guy comes up to me ... MY WIFE's name is spelt "Susanne", she own's the shop!

DUH! ... Sue, MY wife's name is spelt "Suzanne"!

Edited to correct spelling!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ May 18, 2007, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas, 2001. Had a small residential sandblasted to do for people by the name of Disney. (No, I wish!) As usual I was behind because it was Christmas. The draft was approved 2 weeks before Christmas, I finished Christmas Eve day. They picked up their sign at 10 in the evening. Gave it to their parents and called Christmas Day. I do usually get about a half a dozen calls Christmas day with customers that are just thrilled with their sign. So that was what I was expecting. But no. I had spelt Disney Disnesy. And hadn't noticed. Nobody else noticed either until new company came in for Christmas dinner and their 7 year old said "Gee, I didn't know you spelt your name differently than we do."

Yes I did a new one.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue Brown
Visitor
Member # 6677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Brown   Email Sue Brown       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do alot of alum signs for some of our clients..
We had a day with over 150 18 x 24 signs to knock out all differant.. This one is one of the last ones we did that day.. Bryan (my partner in crime) cut the vinyl.. i weeded it.. taped it.. applied it.. all was well till i started rounding the corners.. Thats when i notice this one.. It was for Avon..and Im glad we caught it before it went out the door.. As i was rounding the corners.. I asked Bry.. UMMM.. How do You spell alcohol??? .. anyway.. Here is Bry posing with the sign before we fixed it.. .. He looks like he sampled some of the drugs.. lol..

-

--------------------
sue brown
american instant signs
pasadena, calif

Posts: 90 | From: southern california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

We had a few of the "spelling" mistakes at the t-shirt shop I worked at, here are a few I would like to forget:

1. A college psychology club came in with handwritten instructions for the art-- the word "psychology" was spelled 3 different places, each one wrong. I didn't pay attention and just spelled it the first way I read it from the instructions-- "PSYHOLOGY" The job went through 5 people in the shop, including the owner who printed the job, and we finally noticed it after it was finished.

2. I was creating t-shirt art for a school-- an old world flat map with all of the continents and oceans labled -- After printing over 500 t-shirts FRONT & BACK, the customer spotted that I had labled the "ARTIC OCEAN" and the continent "ANTARTICA" - we tried to save face by claiming it was a "Southern" map, but the customer was not very happy and we got to print another 500 t-shirts with the correct map.

3. We contract printed about 800 t-shirts for a local salesman -- when he gave us the information for the sponsors, he couldn't read his own writing, so he just made up the name from memory-- but he got to pay to have them reprinted because "Dr. Jim Roberts, D.D.S." didn't appreciate being listed as "Dr. Tim Robertson, D.D.F." (still not sure what he thought D.D.F. stood for).

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a local theatre company, Gloriana Opera Co. After a dozen years they were performing an assemblage from their previous performances. At the entrance to the city they had this sign installed advertising the event "Gloriana's Biggest Hits" There was this yellow background with big blue letters, and the B and H were huge. Well, being an early morning person, I snuck up to the sign around 4ish and measured the big letters. Later that day in my shop I cut another letter in blue, a big T, and stuck it onto a piece of yellow vinyl that would cover the H on the sign.

Well the next morning came and I snuck up behind this sign at the intersection. I waited a couple lights till there were no cars or trucks there, and came around the front of the sign to cover the H. Stuck the vinyl on, squeegeed it down, then disappeared in the morning darkness back to my truck. I drove out across the fields with my headlights off giggling like a little kid.

I went up the road and made a U turn to come back to face the sign and view my vandalism. I was the only car stopped at the red light, and while stopped I read the "Gloriana's Biggest Tits" and saw the vinyl actually slide down the sign and fall on the ground. Morning moisture? Act of God? I was the only one to enjoy this mischief.

I realize this wasn't a mistake, but thought it might fit into the exchange well.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6720 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This wasn't a goof, but it could have been hard to live down.

About twenty years ago, we installed a sign for Dal-Tex Glass Corpration using 24" upper case letters facing LBJ Freeway, the most congested road in North America.

My installer started putting up the letters from the back of the sign toward the front. He got up "CORP." and the last three letters of "GLASS" and noticed it was pushing 6 PM. He packed up the ladders and started to drive off, glancing back at what he had done so far.

The realization hit him that he had better install at least one more letter before he left or we would have lots of explaining to do. The fact that I am able to relate this story shows he did the right thing.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Painting a name down car lot back wall "Peter Roberts Honda" ,,,, finished up to the 2nd "t" and stopped for lunch not realising what it read. !!!!

Lucky Peter is a good friend and has a sense of humour!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

I was 8 or 9 years old and the eldest son of a divorced working Mom. I wanted a dog desperately, and while Mom was at work one day and with no permission or knowledge from her, I found some paint, some wood and a brush and painted my first sign:

"ATTENTION! THIS IS A HOME FOR UNWANTED DOGS!"

It was crude but effective, and after I somehow planted it in the front yard it didn't take long...an adult female Lab mix was promptly dropped off by our postman, who evidently saw the sign and went scurrying home to get what he had to help me out. I took my new dog down into the basement to surprise Mom when she got home, and named her "Princess", even though she appeared overweight and wasn't very friendly. Didn't matter,...I had me a DOG!

Mom got home late that evening from a hard day's work and I drug her down to the basement for the grand surprise, but in the interim, "Princess" had birthed a litter of about 12 pups and met us with a threatening snarl. The way my Mom looked at me could have cut glass, and I got chewed out the way you get chewed out and never forget about.

Mom somehow managed to get the dog and pups to the pound the next day and was furious with me for about a week when she then said; "You did a nice job with that sign you painted, son. You may be stupid, but you ARE talented!" [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ May 20, 2007, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Mark Tucker ]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Mark...

My first official sign was painting sale signs for a greenhouse I use to work in, must have been around 12?? yrs old. I had no idea what I was doing but thought it was cool all the same. I found some paint and set to work. I'd done alot of painting but never a real sign viewd by the general public!

The next day I was in charge of all these plants for sale at some flea market. It was a VERY hot sunny day and my instruction was to water them every couple hours in between those expected busy sales moments. And I proudly did. Biz wasn't busy at all but plants got watered just fine. When the boss returned, I had managed to scorch every one of them. He didn't tell me to not get the leaves wet...

Even though I 'really helped big' that day, he still told me with light heartedness, "These signs ARE great though! I just love the colours you used together! Very effective! You have a future in this!" To this day, wish I still had them to see what the heck I had done to impress him so. I didn't even pay attention to the colors!

Cody's first sign was last year at the campsite. We were there all summer and situated in a busy part so he got a brainstorm that he'd like to make some money while sitting and playing. He promptly found a piece of paper and pencil and scrawled, "good singing, 5 cents." He sat at his picnic table beside his sign with this hopeful look and even gave out 'free samples'. (unfortunately, my boy canNOT hold a tune) In an hour or so he came to me upset and asked why no one wanted to hear him sing. I told him they were too busy but I'll buy, and paid him a nickle. Guess I should have suggested he try a lemonade stand instead... LOL

-

[ May 20, 2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Broughton
Visitor
Member # 2237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Broughton   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Broughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sign I made for a bicycle and motorcycle workshop except it said "Bicycles & Motorycles" for 18 months before anyone noticed [Rolling On The Floor]

[ May 22, 2007, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Stephen Broughton ]

--------------------
Steve Broughton
Alpha Grafix Signs
Lowfields Road
Benington, Boston
Lincolnshire, England

Posts: 315 | From: Boston, Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob bergen
Visitor
Member # 7697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob bergen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first van was "JIM'S MOBILE LOCKSMITHING".
I started on the back, working in a small garage where I couldn't step back & look at it. AT least not till I went dwn the steps leading to the basement. On my return I saw "JIM'S MOBILE LOCKMITHING"
I fixed it as it was only the first color but have for ever regreted not going w/ my first thought which was to have a bandit making off w/ the S under his arm! I did save a picture of the misspelling to keep me alert in the future. The bandit would have been great though.

--------------------
bobbergen
3324 hwy 55
new meadows Idaho 83654

Posts: 1 | From: mtns of Idaho today | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've misspelled "Ophthalmologist" - TWICE! ...hand lettered of course. I also mispelled "Recreation" as "Recreaction"; once again, hand lettered with a fitch on concrete block.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Endicott
Visitor
Member # 628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Endicott   Email Joe Endicott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a banner for the Untied Methodists.

--------------------
Joe Endicott
NEXCOM (Navy Exchange Service Command)
Signing Programs Specialist
Virginia Beach, VA
jeendicott@msn.com

"I want to be Stereotyped....I want to be Classified."

Posts: 681 | From: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Endicott:
I made a banner for the Untied Methodists.

Must have been a singles group! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

This didn’t happen to me but it happened not long after I left a company I founded.

A truck was sent out to the Valley Ranch area to remove a sign. The crew called back to the shop. The conversation went something like this:

“We’ve removed the faces and need a cutting torch to cut off the posts.”

“That sign has wood posts.”

“No, they’re steel.”

“They’re wood, just saw them off and come back.

“These posts are steel. We need the cutting torch.”

“Um... what do the faces say that you removed?”

“Dallas Cowboys.”

“PUT THOSE BACK!”

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Post Your Worst (or Funniest?) Sign Goof!
 -

Consider him posted. [Razz]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Kelly, that is GREAT!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst or Funniest?....Hmmmmmmnnn.... [Wink]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shart?
Isn't that a wet fart?
[Smile]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Goofus... doofus... I think I resemble that!

Now, where's that cutting torch?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Peter
Resident

Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter   Author's Homepage   Email Peter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the funny ones that come to mind are ones I've seen fellow signpainters do (I'm like Raymond, haha).

"Swedish Body Massage" came out as "Swedish Body Massacre."

"200-count Filler Paper" came out as "200-count Killer Paper."

Both by the same guy.

One of my favorites is one I spotted when I visited the Don Garlits Racing Museum in Florida years ago. Hand-lettered on one of his rail dragsters is the line "Top Elimator." (!!!) I have a picture of it somewhere; I'll post it when I find it.

--------------------
Pete M.
Jet Signs
Farmingdale, NY
www.jetsignsoflongisland.com

Posts: 349 | From: Farmingdale, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Flint
Visitor
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Flint   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Flint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I misspelled the word concrete on truck doors. Funny thing is.......he never noticed CONRETE was not the correct spelling - but a customer of his did - 3 Years Later!

--------------------
Rich Flint
FLINT SIGNS
6 Holbrook Road
Oxford, Massachusetts
rich@flintsigns.com

Posts: 90 | From: Oxford, Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahaha, Jill... I didn't notice that in the sign the first time I read it. That's a pretty funny sign goof in itself! Good catch!!

(Sorry, Kelly...)

BTW- that's one of the most hilarious parts of 'Along Came Polly..'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNZdTSH3-A

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!