Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tip for Summa D-60 owners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tip for Summa D-60 owners
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about your plotter but when I try to cut reflective material on mine it just don't work very well. I had an idea recently and tried it and it worked very well so I wanted to pass it on.

Simple fix: duplicate your graphic or lettering, right on top of itself and send both objects to the plotter; it'll be cutting it twice. You'll probably have to do a little vertical test strip to get the right pressure for your blade.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky,

Why not just crank down the pressure? I think I put mine to about 180 gms of force, maybe a new blade would help out too since I think I'm still using the orginal blade after 7 yrs. I can adjust the pressure from my software and made a reflective profile and if it needs a little tweaking I just do it.

I did have some problems cutting reflective when I first got my D60 but a call to tech support and they got me fixed up right over the phone. (I think there was something with the sensor not seeing the material from the reflective bouncing light back or summat?)

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cranked the pressure all the way up and slowed it down to a crawl and it didn't cut all the way thru.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky,

You silly, that wasn't reflective it was sandblast mask [Rolling On The Floor] Maybe one of your employees turned the blade upside down as a joke [Rolling On The Floor]

Well something doesn't smell right! You should certainly be able to cut through the paper with ease, even with that roll of concrete (I mean reflective). Maybe you should give Summa a jingle and ask what the heck is going on? Maybe your pressure thingamajiggie isn't working properly. It's worth a call and they are very helpful.
1-800.323.9766 toll free in USA and if you ever get back to Canada-eh! there too! [Wink]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

I think of reflective as "decorative sheet metal". [Razz] Probably won't be going back to Canada until some of my buds here petition the govt to forgive me of my sin.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky.. dude... I have an old PNC-5000 and even *I* can cut reflective... barely... but it works... you shouldn't be having any problems with that Summa!!

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ricky,
Not sure what software you're using, but Flexi has a "pass" option. I usually set it to two passes for reflective and sandblast mask. ( Same thing your doing with two copies )

We can set blade pressure on the cutter...or in the software. Maybe one is overriding the other in your situation.

We usually extend the blade out just a bit too, just to make sure it cuts all the way through, without the blade holder hitting the vinyl.

I don't cut a lot of ref. or sandblast, but we keep a blade around just for these materials, so as not to dull the normal blade.

One time, I didn't have the blade holder tight in the machine....it went through the motions like it was cutting, but no cuts at all on the vinyl. Had me scratchin' my head for a moment till I figured it out [Confused]

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately I been using a hammer n' chisel to cut reflective. The hammer is out of an old colt 45..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

I'm not having any problems and Signlab will let me change the pressure but if you've ever done that and forgot to change it back before cutting the next job you know what a pia that can be. Just wanted to give a little tip to anyone else that may be having a problem with it. I know the D-60 is a very popular plotter.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the same as Tony for reflective in Flexi just choose 2 passes

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky Never HAd a problem With reflective on the D60 or D610 But for thick Sandblast Just go into Signlab plotter setup in Version 5 and set your endpoint to orgin and when sending your cut do 2 copies. Slowing down your blade and raising your weight.. You will eliminate any streching of the mask. And if your using 7.1 it has a multi cut command in the setup now..

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, you don't say whether you're using the 36 degree blade or the 60 degree blade. The 60 is made for such materials & usually works quite well. of course, you'll need its special blade holder to use it. The down-force needs to obviously be greater than when cutting normal stuff, but that's no big deal since you'll need to put the reg. back in when done; so changing the force back shouldn't either be a problem. Good luck!

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!