Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » LEXAN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LEXAN
Camille
Visitor
Member # 501

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Camille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never worked with Lexan before. Doing a 4'x22' backlit sign on the side of a bldg. I wanted to ask advice or tips on Lexan. I understand you can roll it up. If I use polycarbonate - I'd have to make it in 2 pieces to put in my pickup. How does Lexan work? Can I letter it and roll it up & it will fit in the bed of a pickup?? Do vinyl letters stretch too much when rolled up?
Thanks!

--------------------
signs

Posts: 535 | From: pa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and you need to ask how to bridge the gap in the seam and what kind of glue to use???? and remember to use translucent vinyl, and put the lettering on the right side.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Watkin
Visitor
Member # 7504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Watkin   Email Alan Watkin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Camille,
I work for a large electrical type sign shop and we use tons of lexan. We do lots of long faces and rolling them up works great for transporting them. You do need to use translucent vinyl and put it on the side which is labeled for exposure to the sun. Put some padding on the edge that you start with to keep it from messing up the vinyl as you roll it. Also, put your rope or strap at the other end with half of it under the face and the rest sticking out so it will be ready to wrap around the roll when you get there.
The vinyl can wrinkle a little if you roll it to small but as long as you can squeeze it thru the door it will be fine.
Good luck,
Alan Watkin

[ May 13, 2007, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Alan Watkin ]

--------------------
Alan Watkin
Bosque Farms, New Mexico

Posts: 5 | From: Bosque Farms, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camille ... Lexan is a polycarbonate!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I missing something? i thought Lexan was an acrylic sheet? How is it rolled up?

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud ....Plexiglass is acrylic sheet.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lexan is also a brand name for Acrylic sheets. Plexiglass and Lexan are just brand names for Acrylic and Polycarbonate.

I think the Lexan is a GE Plastics product and I am not sure about the Plexiglass. Other brands are Lucite, Optix, Chemcast, Hyzod.

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camille,
That's a very big sign to be experimenting with.
Lexan is a great product, but it has its quirks.

When cutting it, it can chatter and break itself to pieces. I know it's supposed to be unbreakable, but if you are cutting it with a circular saw or a panel saw it can catch. Make sure it is well secured. We used a piece of plywood, placed close to the cutline so it would hold better.

As far as "gluing" Lexan, it's tricky.
Unless someone knows of a different Lexan glue available, this is what we used to do.
We would use the #16 "thickened" plexiglas glue from WeldOn http://www.rplastics.com/weldon16.html
Anything glued to it we would also rivet with plastic rivets.
There needs to be a clear strip of 1/4" Plexi applied at the seam where the pieces butt.
That strip should be about 3" wide with half on the back edge of one sheet. The abutting sheet will have oversized holes that you will use stainless steel screws to attach to the clear strip. Make sure to carefully predrill the butt strip so you don't crack the Plexi.

Also be careful what solvents/cleaners you use on the Lexan. Read the instructions. "Hot" solvents will do damage.

Pioneer Supply in PA should have anything you need.

And TJ,
I do believe that Lexan is the GE brand name for Polycarbonate ONLY - not plastics.

[ May 14, 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a while since I used it but something that also had to be considered in the past is that polycarbonate outgasses for a while after the protective film is removed. At times that has caused bubbles under the translucent vinyl.

There should be some instructions from the manufacturer on how long to wait between stripping the film and decorating the faces.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Watkin
Visitor
Member # 7504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Watkin   Email Alan Watkin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camille,
Lexan, as well as some of the other brands of polycarbonate are shipped to suppliers in huge rolls, usually 5', 6' or 8' wide by a few hundred feet long. It shoudn't be to hard to find someone that you can purchase a 22' long piece of it from so no gluing will be necessary. As far as the outgassing problem, if you leave the piece inside at room tempurature for a day or to it won't be a problem. It can also be cut using a jigsaw with an all purpose type blade.

--------------------
Alan Watkin
Bosque Farms, New Mexico

Posts: 5 | From: Bosque Farms, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!