Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » business ethics question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: business ethics question
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering. I'm pretty new to the signbiz and I don't come in contact with too many sign painters. I see stuff on here that I really like and that i know I could produce if only the customer had something to look at to give them ideas. Ok, ok let me get right to it. Have any of you ever taken pictures from magazines or the internet and put them in your portfolio (not to say you did them to people) but to give customers more ideas so you can sell work that you'd like to do but havent had the opportunity to yet.
Well, I have and it always kind of bothered me when a potential customer asks me "did you do all of these? And i'd say something like "I can do a sign just like the ones you see here"
of course I only used a few, but I always felt odd about it like I should have gotten permission first or something.

I'd love to hear your thoughts

[ February 17, 2007, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Dawud Shaheed ]

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of different bizzes use sample pages to show what can be done. However, they are descrbed as samples. Not as your portfolio.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion... Take the time to make a few samples that shows first hand what YOU can make. They don't have to be huge. A sample on the wall will sell a sign before a picture on a web page anyway. Then you have first hand proof you can do it.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For ideas, you might try showing them the Portfolio edition of Sign Business, the Commercial Contest edition of Signs of the Times, or some issues of SignCraft.

If they pick a concept out of your field of expertise, you know where to get the help to do it.

I've also had customers show me pictures of signs they liked and every time, there were photos of my signs in there. That usually ends up as an easy sell. Of course, I've been in the business since slightly after dirt was invented.

Edited to add to what Dave Sherby said:

Samples are wonderful sales aids. Many processes and finishes cannot be adequately portrayed in photos. Making the sample gives you some practice as well.

When I first started doing sandblasted signs in the mid '70s, I made some samples. I never failed to sell one when I could show them first hand what it looked like. At that time, there weren't too many around and describing one or showing a photo just didn't do the trick.

[ February 17, 2007, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the recipient of many images being 'borrowed' off of our site and presented as their own work, I can say, while flattering, it usually doesn't make me too happy. The next call is usually to my attorney, and the offender's ISP and them, which result in their site being taken down (ISP's are liable for copyright infringement on their servers so they don't screw around with that).

I've also had my company name, and my own name embedded into people's META and ALT content on their site. That doesn't make me or my attorney too happy either.

Make some of you're own portfolio pieces - and it will help you sell the type of work you really want to do.

[ February 17, 2007, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Dan Antonelli ]

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so now I know not to use any of Dan's stuff.
Scratch that idea.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

seriously, though. I don't own a shop. I have a workshop and a truck. I don't get walk in customers. I go from door to door when I'm slow and the rest of the time is repeat business or word of mouth. I'm in a new area now and I'm not working off repeat business or word of mouth so, I've been thinking of beefing up my sales techniques. I think photo samples will be the way to go for me.

*Not yours though Dan.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...N E V E R ! ...Displaying others work (in your portfolio is totally unethical! You will label yourself as the new HACK in town. If you are so new to the biz that you don't have any examples of your own stuff to show, get a job in a sign shop (until you are more experienced).

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ever show someone elses work, please, be certain to have their name on it displayed very obviously so as not to allow for any misleading info. It also needs to be clear that you didn't do it for their shop. Probably easiest to make some samples yourself that are your design.

I remember years back a well respected sign person moved to a new area and made a deal with a store to do a killer sign for free as a maens of getting his work displayed, with the condition that the price would never be divulged.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud-

Lugging a portfolio around is time consuming and can be awkward. It should be good for drumming up work, but I remember going up and down Albany's main drag begging for sign jobs 25 years ago...

These days, the website does a lot of that work much easier, especially if you maintain the site yourself. It IS your portfolio and is seen at your customer's convenience while you are using the same time to be productive or with your family or get enough sleep.

I don't think you need a LOT of photos, but judging by your website, I think you should take a day and go around your area with a camera and get the BEST shots you can of your work. You don't need a lot of photos, just GREAT ones! A simple photo-editing program like MicroSoft's Picture-It (came with my computer) can brighten up, sharpen up photos. I like its edge-softening feature. On your site, less crowding and softer edges would keep the photos from competing against each other.

Oh yeah, just because you've moved, don't think it's hard to get good pics of your old work. Someone back there might do you a favor (or owe you one) and get some shots to you. Maybe some of your signs are on the web and you don't even know it- a lot of businesses put their storefronts and signs on their websites.

Good luck,

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very proud of the work displayed in my portfolio and on our website. Its all the work we did in our own shop of course.

A portfolio is a display of one's own work. Its a showcase of what YOU can do. It is a wonderful and effective sales tool.

When we got our router I spent many months learning how to run it and honing my techniques. I did this by making samples for our walls. The better ones ended up in the portfolio and on the website too.

Although it hasn't happened often I get pretty upset when someone else claims our work or slides in on our hard earned representation - even by sly association.

I think it is unethical to have someone else's work in your portfolio unless it is labeled clearly as belonging to someone else and then only with their permission too which you wouldn't get from me for that purpose.

If you aren't really busy doing paying work, spend the time to do up some samples for your portfolio. If you are short on money paint a different sample on each side of the board. Take your pictures and repaint them again.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's unethical to put photographs of other people's work in your portfolio. Even if you say you didn't do the work, it gives the impression that you are somehow associated with it. I wouldn't want to see samples of my work in someone else's portfolio.

However, I don't see anything wrong with creating your own unique design first, and then showing the customer some examples from SignCraft that give a rough idea of how you plan to build it, or carve it, or color it, etc.

Also, make sure the photos you put in your portfolio are the best you can take. Some of the ones on your website are darkish and blurry.

[ February 18, 2007, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Russ McMullin ]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud,

I guess you can't use any of Canada Dan's stuff either!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud-

Your site doesn't say copyright. [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

[ February 18, 2007, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Frank Smith ]

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Sawatzky:
When we got our router I spent many months learning how to run it and honing my techniques. I did this by making samples for our walls. The better ones ended up in the portfolio and on the website too.

...and on the cover of Signcraft!

I've proudly shown off the work of both Dan A. & Dan S. (and several others here)when showing my sign mags to customers... It's impressive enough to say that I participate in an on-line community where folks like these guys help share techniques & inspiration with guys like me.

I also had several dozen sign mags dating back from before my time, that were handed down to me, but in somewhat poor condition. I ended up cutting out dozens of my favorite images before handing down the remainder of those magazines to a newbie sign guy who was coming around a lot learning from me. I have my own 2 shelves full on mint condition mags now... but those old images are in an envelope & have been used to show clients for inspiring them to identify some design preferences to help narrow down what I should try to sell them.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking on the same line as Doug keep your portfolio seperate. Their are tons of books and magazines with designs even Dan A has a book in my collection.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawud- Not only do I think its unethical to show someone else's work in your portfolio I don't think much of someone who would even consider doing such a thing. Your "About" page on your web says you have been in business for over 10 years. Do you mean to tell me that in 10 years you don't have enough work to make your own portfolio? I'm sorry- that doesn't make much sense. Perhaps if you haven't had much business you should consider raising the bar of your business ethics instead of raising the bar of your work -with someone else's.

And before I get a barrage of emails about how I was mean to Dawud- consider his question. I think they call it karma.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting other people's work "In your portfolio" is obviously wrong...because the phrase implies that you would pass the work off as your own, or that a prospective customer might reach that conclusion on their own.

I see no ethical problem whatsoever with hauling out an "Other people's work I admire" file, containing clippings from magazines or websites that clearly credit the signshop in question...and reviewing it with a customer. Why not? I might caution against creating expectations you can't personally fulfil, if there is any risk that you can't produce a similar look.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very wise art teacher once told me....

Your portfolio is a display not only of what you produce, but of how you have progressed.

Dawud,
Building up a portfolio takes time. Showing that time can be a valuable asset in making an impression to a potential customer. Keeping some of your older work in it not only shows your improvement over the years, but dedication to your career choice.
Although not my best work, I still have samples of older work in my portfolio to reflect those aspects.

IMHO, a person's portfolio is hallowed ground. It's an extension of the artist/creator and should never include the work of someone else. It's a misrepresentation of both you and the original artist.

If you're trying to open new doors and market different methods and materials, there are ample displays, samples, catalogs and examples available from manufacturers and suppliers. They can be shown SEPERATELY as needed.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Deri-
I think what Dawud did was neglect to make much of a portfolio because he had a local reputation, etc. Now that he's hundreds of miles from his old location, he doesn't have much to show...

Eventually, it'll balance out; we all need our portfolios, samples, sign magazines, etc. But, ultimately, it's up to us to take control of each situation and determine what will WORK for the client. Good quick sketching helps clinch the client's confidence. Just don't let go of more than you have to (including ideas) before you get a deposit.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have my customers bring me pics of what they think I could do. (ie Real Ghost Flames) Once I explain the process of how that job was done, then they understand a little more. Then I'll tell them how I could do a similar job, with the tools and skills I have to work with, and take it from there.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I don't think that's the case at all. What makes you think that? I have sent out probably 85% of my work with no pictures. Well too bad so sad for me. I lose. I suppose I could take some field trips some day and try to recapture some of the "lost pics". But I probably won't, because as time goes on I hope that my design skills are getting better- not staying the same. And I hope that my next sign will be a far better one than I produced 14 years ago when I started banging on doors for business.

Dawud says:
"to give customers more ideas so you can sell work that you'd like to do but havent had the opportunity to yet"
To me that says he has not done the calibre of work that he has put in his portfolio. Therefore it is not HIS portfolio. I think that's false advertising.
Let's take a look at the signmakers in his area that have been there for years. Do you really think its fair that their new competition is portraying himself as a better designer/signmaker than he himself admits to being?
Boy howdy, I tell you, he's lucky he doesn't move here. The customers would eat him up and spit him out! Particularly if he accidently put a sign/design in there that someone knew the real designer. It would be the END of his career as a signmaker. Small towns- large gossip!
And what happens when he does land the job of his dreams? Now he has to produce the calibre of work he has portrayed himself as being capable of! So what now?

Your portfolio is not only a great advertising tool. It is a reflection of your life's work, as Rapid says. Mine is like my bible to me. I just can't comprehend putting someone else's work in there and claiming it as mine. There's just too many reasons not to.

Every signmaker has to start somewhere. We all paid our dues to get where we are. It takes work. SO WORK!

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are one or two signs in my portfolio/online portfolio that I worked on with Stevo.
He is going to put them on his site when he refabs it soon, and neither one of us cares.

But other than that, I would never use pix of someone else's work in my portfolio. That is misrepresentation of your own abilities.
I have tons of Letterhead panels in my shop, but am quick to point out that they were gifts from friends. There are a few of my own there too.

I have heard that some people will not put out their portfolios at meets due to nefarious others who take pictures from them and put them into their own portfolios at home! And I'm sure these types do the same thing with websites that Dan Antonelli mentions.

Love....Jill

[ February 19, 2007, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Jillbeans ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dealt with a city a couple of years ago that had a committee of 3 or 4 and didn't know what they wanted their new park signs to look like. Nothing I suggested or showed them sparked an interest.

I finally showed them signs in SignCraft to see if they could get a better idea. This worked ...to a point. They found a sign that they liked and wanted theirs just like it. I let them know that there might be problems as the sign was copyrighted and we would have to get a signed release from the company to use their design.

I called the company and they were gracious enough to send a release. So everything worked out.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting someone else's work in your portfoilio can be a bad problem for you!

Example:

many years ago a new window splasher was going around looking for work with a portfolio. His mistake was to call on one of my customers. My customer recognized my work in some of the pics and told him to come back on Saturday at 9:30 am. He then called me . I was there a bit early and parked out in back and we waited for him to show up.

I made him remove all my pics out of his book and warned him that IF he did it again, I would hunt him down and BREAK ALL HIS FINGERS!

Do I need to tell you that he decided to move away?

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to build your own portfolio and put in things that you personally created. if you don't have much to show, you better get busy and start making some samples. Paint is cheap, and you can get a bunch of small samples out of a sheet of plywood or even coroplast or cardboard - anything you can use as a substrate to snap some photos, then repaint if you want. You could even make layered dimensional signs out of cheap stuff just for photo purposes. Maybe you include some hand drawn sketches and computer generated artwork as well to show versatility.

Now if you want to also carry around a separate "Idea Book" and include photos of ideas from sign magazines, fine but put the entire page from the mag into the book so there's no chance a potential client could think you produced the work. Just make sure you don't copy the work straight from the mag, just use the mags to generate some ideas and concepts and make sure you can actually produce the work you want to sell.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you never touch another designers portfolio in any way.

One thing you can do is what college grads do. All design grads have made up projects in thier portfolio in one form or another. That is how they get employed....by showing thier skills with exercises they did in college. Why not design conceptual projects? Another way of expanding your portfolio is showing your proposed work...the stuff that was not chosen. In a lot of cases that is the "better" work anyways...why not show it off! Concept and proposed work are your skills and your way of showing the clients the possibilities in your area of expertise. It's not cheating anyone and not leading a client on with your abilities. And most clients understand the idea of concept work and great work that was thrown away. As time goes on, you can replace your conceptual work with real projects but you may want to keep the proposed work to show the clients your process.
A few years ago a client showed me a design that they wanted the style copied from. It was one of my favorite styles from my favorite designer at the time (the style is called "Bonehead") but they wanted me to pinch too much of the look. I told them to go to the design firm that did it. I could have done it, but why do that when someone was better than I was at it.
I have a lot of books and magazines but the last thing I want is the client thumbing through by library asking for an certain look that another designer has perfected, I would just have the go to them. I don't sell font's, vinyl colors or catalog design, I supply solutions. Last thing I want is them going thrugh my font books, one-shot samples or my 3M vinyl catalog. I want them to be more interested in my process and the reason I have the process than just the pretty pictures...but if all they want to see are pretty picures than I want them to be mine.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawud Shaheed:
....... I see stuff on here that I really like and that i know I could produce if only the customer had something to look at to give them ideas......

Just checked out your web sight. Not quite sure what "stuff" that you are talking about as far as "you can do if only.....". But heres my take.

"Thinking" you can do it and "doing" it are different things. If you haven't done the kind of signs that you really want to do yet (because if you did you would already have a picture of it...right?), then you might want to make one before you tell a customer "Ya I can do that..". Samples, like said above can be produced on a smaller scale and done cheap(er). This, also noted above, gives your customer a look at what "YOU" can produce.

Not criticizing your work, but from what you have on your web page, your still "learning". And "ALL" of us are. Some have just been learning longer than others. Portfolios take a while to build up. At least pics of the "good stuff" that you would want to present.

There again, not sure what "stuff" you are wanting to sell. But you better make damn sure you can produce it before you sell it. Or you make yourself AND the trade look bad.

Golden rule....If you didn't design it, paint it or build it, then don't put it in your book. Because you'll just be lying to yourself and to your customer. And that my friend is not good biz.... [Smile]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

For the record. EVERYTHING on my website is my work. I would never misrepresnt myself or my business in that manner. For the first 3 or 4 years of being in the sign biz I did only car lots , window lettering etc. Then when I decided to branch out doing other types of signs and businesses (like restaurants) I would find pictures of a window splash someone did for let's say Mc'donalds and approach Mcdonalds in my area and say "I can do something like this for you. Again, over the years I have weaned this practice out of my approach because I have built up my own portfolio. I do have my own portfolio and I use it.
Again, i would not try to sell something I couldn't do and, I know I am still learning. There's a lot I learn from this board and from the people here. I respect your opinions on the sign biz, so let me clarify myself when I mentioned portfolio I did not mean my website portfolio. All of that is my work. I have however (for example) seen a window splash of a certain chain business (not in my area) and taken pictures of them to show the same chain in my area what I can do for them.
Obviosly lying and telling them I did it when I know full well that I didn't do it is un ethical, but that's not what I was asking about.

I appreciate the feedback.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Pipes:
Now if you want to also carry around a separate "Idea Book" and include photos of ideas from sign magazines, fine but put the entire page from the mag into the book so there's no chance a potential client could think you produced the work. Just make sure you don't copy the work straight from the mag, just use the mags to generate some ideas and concepts and make sure you can actually produce the work you want to sell.

thanks, Mike, that's pretty much what I was talking about, Now I don't feel like such a complete hack. Ah, we live and learn.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For the record. EVERYTHING on my website is my work. I would never misrepresnt myself or my business in that manner."

I guess that answers you own question.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

You still don't get what I was saying, I guess, neither did Deri but a few heads on here have said that they do use others work as ideas, so, really my main mistake was saying the word "portfolio" in connection to using others work to inspire ideas in a potential customer.

It seems there's a clear divide on even using others work to give customers ideas so If a guy in La Mirada California was driving around with a signcraft magazine window splashing off of it, he could get his fingers broke for that, Jack.
ya see?
Oh well, clearly lying about what you've done is wrong, but using others work as a selling tool?
And another thing to consider is a person may not even want to rip off a design, It may be that he is bidding on a housing development sign , but he has never done a housing development sign, so does that mean he can't do a housing development sign? Of course not. So, would it be unethical for him to show pictures of other housing development signs from signcraft or from letterhead.com or wherever to give the customer ideas on colors, shapes, etc???

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

David Schulz
Visitor
Member # 6931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Schulz   Email David Schulz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually use whole signcraft magazines with post it notes on my favorites. We have a slideshow of finished projects on a lcd monitor on our front counter and a few samples on the walls. When I show anybody trade magazines I caution them that I can't make everything in there and that these are the work of the best in the business. People seem to appreciate my honesty about my skill level and still encourage me to experiment on their signs.

--------------------
David
The Sign Factory
Roanoke, Virginia

Posts: 19 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawud Shaheed:
So, would it be unethical for him to show pictures of other housing development signs from signcraft or from letterhead.com or wherever to give the customer ideas on colors, shapes, etc???

It would be unethical to show someone elses work prior to getting a contract or to attract a client.
You are the designer, why give clients "ideas"? It's your job to come up with them. If you showed them signs you did not do once the contract is signed it is stilll leading them on, that is unethical to a lot of people. Once a contract is signed, It would be better if you designed a housing development sign and showed examples as how it holds up to similar projects...that is called research or justifying why you design the sign the way you did, but you should not ever take credit for the example signs. Otherwise build up your portfolio in other ways.

Not to get off the subject too much, but this is how serious a portfolio is. I have a lot of work I have done for other companies, work that I was involved from start to finish, yet I have no right to show it on my business portfolio. If I can't show my own work, how could I justify showing someone elses?

[ February 19, 2007, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Dawud,

I've sat back biting my lip on this one since it was first posted, but now the kid gloves are off.

What you are asking is if it is unethical to include another person's work into your portfolio. It's fu**ing theivery, a method of lying to a customer and outright fu**ing larceny plain and simple.
If you can't do it, don't own it and didn't make it, it shouldn't be in there.

You want to know where the line is drawn? Figure out the difference between plaugurism and inspiration.

Yer kicking a dead horse here...it unethical. Nuff said. Defending yourself isn't making it any more right to do.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

You still don't understand what I am saying to you Ray. I'm not defending anything I come here to learn and enjoy the craft of signmaking And your attitude is out of line. There's not just letterheads here, there's some big heads in here also.
Whatever,man.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Go ahead dude, dig yourself a deeper hole.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Okay...point for point.

"I'm pretty new to the signbiz..."
According to your website, you have 10 years experience.

"Have any of you ever taken pictures from magazines or the internet and put them in your portfolio"...etc
"Well, I have..."

Statement noted.

"I can do a sign just like the ones you see here"
Proving that to a customer would require a sample of finished piece that you made.

"...let me clarify myself, when I mentioned portfolio I did not mean my website portfolio."
I fail to see the difference between what you place on your website and how it differs from what you would include in a folder or photo book. Those are simply different forms of presenting your work as a portfolio.

"For the record. EVERYTHING on my website is my work. I would never misrepresnt myself or my business in that manner."

"I only used a few, but I always felt odd about it like I should have gotten permission first or something."

"If a guy in La Mirada California was driving around with a signcraft magazine window splashing off of it, he could get his fingers broke for that, Jack."
No, but as mentioned, the person was including Si's work and claiming it as his own in his portfolio.

Dawud,
You have admitted that you have practiced this in the past. Minimizing it by using words like "I only used a few" doesn't lessen it's ethical impact. Using even one piece from another artist in your portfolio is just as wrong as using five of them.

In all fairness...
"my main mistake was saying the word "portfolio" in connection to using others work to inspire ideas in a potential customer."
I won't disagree with that point at all. The separation of your portfolio from examples is the real key point here.

Inspiration you get from the work of others is a great thing. It drives you to exceed your own limitations. I would think taking that inspiration and adding it to you own design ideas can produce good results with the customer as well. Take that inspiration, work it over with your own style, and present THAT to the customer. If they like what they see, it opens the door to bigger and better things.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a confession to make...

About 7 years back, I had never done a large lighted sign before, but having experience in welding, fabricating, concrete work etc. I knew I had the expertise to do it...

One day a Mobile Home Sales lot approached me about building them several lighted signs... the man showed up at the shop one day, and started asking questions, wanting different ideas for lighted signs. I told him up front it would be a new area for us but that I was sure we could do it because of my construction background...

Needing ideas, we started flipping through Sign Business magazines I had lieing on the front counter... now I'm not sure, but I don't think at any point he thought I did all the signs in those magazines... also, I'm not sure I wanted to do 20 different Photoshop fake designs to put in my 'PORTFOLIO' not even knowing what he had in mind...

So, calmly flipping through the magazines, without even a twinge of the guilt from the hellish and demonish action I'm committing, we found one he liked, I said... "yes, we can do something similar to that.."

I designed it up, and it ended up looking completely different, but he got the STYLE of sign that he saw in the magazine... sold 3 signs for $16,000 each and we completed them with extruded pan faces reverse painted, concrete work, posts and all.

Now in retrospect, I'm glad I did not read this post first... if he had come in asking about this sign, tries to reach for the magazines to explain what he has in mind, and I slap his hand with my yardstick and tell him "Sir, if we open this magazine, I can no longer ethically build you a sign" I'm sure I would have lost an almost $50,000 contract...

Or if he had shown up with a picture of another sign in his hand and told me, "I would like a sign like this" and I would have sadly had to tell him... "No, I cannot do a sign like that for you, it's been done by another sign shop, and therefore I'm not ethically allowed to create one similar to that..."

Pardon me, but what a bunch of freakin' bullcrap.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

It's all one big happy mix of portfolio, samples and maybe a sign mag or two. I don't care to use the sign mags much because they tend to distract from what I want to produce, yet they help me gauge the client's reactions and preferences.

It's a lot more comfortable when I start thumbnail sketching the client's actual sign.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!