Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Fire!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fire!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This afternoon around 4:00 I recieved a call fom my dad who lives about 10 miles away. He sounded a little upset. He asked me if I could give him a ride to our place... kinda unusual as he has a car of his own.

Then he started to explain... Turns out the appartment building where he lives was on fire. He had been taking a nap and the apartment one over and two floors below had started on fire. He heard the fire alarm and woke from his nap. He looked out the window and saw the reflection of flames in the windows of the apartment across the alley. It was time to leave!

By the time he got dressed the fire had spread to the second floor and by the time he got out of the building it was up into the third.

He called me a short time later and when I arrived (in a hurry!) the whole end of the building was pretty much gone. His apartment was next to a fireproofed stairwell which the fire had to burn through and around.... but when we left the scene a short while later the flames were shooting 30-40 feet out of the roof over his apartment.

His car is in the underground parking which was separated from the fire by a concrete ceiling. It was also sprinkled so his car should be fairly clean we figure.

Unfortunately he didn't have fire insurance so he only has the clothes on his back. But he's in good spirits and making light of the situation. One of his cracks was that he should get his damage deposit back without too much fuss. We'll go get his prescriptions refilled tomorrow, and some new glasses too. The rest we'll figure out over time. In the meantime he'll be staying with us.

We spoke with some of the firemen who were there a few minutes ago (one of the attending firehalls is across the street from us here in Yarrow) and they say there's not much hope for any of the contents of his place.

But they also gave us the good news that everyone got out of the building safely. None of the firefighters were hurt fighting the blaze either. Everything else we can easily replace.

My dad is even staying up late tonight (which he never, ever does) just to watch the news which will feature a story and footage of the spectacular fire.

All in all it was a pretty exciting day for all concerned!

Tomorrow is a brand new day.

-grampa dan

[ February 05, 2007, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your dad's lost possessions, but it's not surprising to hear that he is in good spirits. I was really worried about your place when I saw this post. Of course it's unfortunate that your dad has to suffer through this setback, but I'm also glad you did not have a setback at your magical shop & home.

Enjoy his time staying there with you & good luck rebuilding whatever is required to set things right for your dad.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for your dad's losses, but glad he is OK!

MC

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was holding my breath too when I saw the post. I am so very sorry for your dad's loss.

But the good news is we get to have your dad puttering around the shop listening to stories about you... [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Costa
Resident

Member # 3366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Costa   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Costa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of use here are firemen or have been, and have seen the results of a burned home. Bottom line..
He's safe and with you. God Bless.

--------------------
Ron Costa Sign and Design
28 Ingerson Road
Jefferson, NH 0358

Posts: 620 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad everybody's OK!
And what a great attitude:
"Tomorrow is a brand new day"
Enjoy having Dad around.

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant that he got out safely- enjoy his company!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really good to hear that everyones safe.. but loosing everything in a fire is traumatic, and should'nt be taken lightly, as I'm sure you are not. Loosing all your possessions is a terrible thing to go through, but I'm sure your dad being around you and his great grand Daughter will certainly ease the pain.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had terrible visions of a Magic Mountain meltdown, but your Dad's possesions are just as important to him as yours are to you. I am extremely saddened to hear of his loss, but equally happy to know that he awoke in time to get out safely.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good attitude will get you through allmost anything. How lucky for your father that you are nearby. Now make sure all your fire extingwishers are full and available. Don't let it happen to you.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your Dad's losses Dan, but glad to hear he wasn't hurt.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad your dad is OK. Man, there's tragedy every day lately. Build him a fancy apartment on your property!!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to know your father is safe. I'm also glad to know he has a loving family to fall back on.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news out of bad news. Your Dad's spirit is very encouraging and it's apparent that the acron doesn't fall far from the tree. (Aren't you glad that I didn't use the term "nut"?)

It's sad that he lost all, but everything that is important is still safe. And it's equally important that he has a family to fall back on.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that your Dad's OK. You can always replace your things but you can never replace your Dad.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad when things like this happen, but the main thing is...he is ok. He is unreplaceable.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, glad your dad and everyone else is unhurt.
Material possessions are.....well just material, but they still are a part of your identity. Keep your dad busy, it will help, and remember he is your father and he does know more than you . [Wink]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad everyone's OK and I think your dad will be just fine, afterall he gets to live at mini-Disn.. err.. I mean.. Danland [Smile] for a while!

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Dan posting under David Harding's ID:

Donna,

When Dad get to telling stories about me, don't believe a word he says... because it's all true!

I now return control of the computer back to David:

Dan, I'm glad everyone is OK. Possessions can be replaced but people cannot.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I'm so sorry to hear your dad lost everything, but happy that he and everyone else is ok. I had to call a friend last night to make sure he was ok too, because it looked like the building he lived in , but it wasn't.

It was a four alarm fire, and that's pretty nasty. When they get that size, a fire takes on a life of its own and we firefighters can't do much but a defensive attack by standing back and dumping tons of water on it.

I'm sure you'll take care of your pops and give him the comfort he needs at this time. My best wishes go his way.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God you're all safe.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad that your Dad and residents were safely evacuated. My parents lost their home and it's contents thru robbery & arson so I can sympathized with your Dad. Some items like pictures and momentos can't be replaced but it is possible to start over and get back to living.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you are all safe....here is a big hug for your Dad.....squueeeezzze.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear your Dad is OK and no one else was hurt.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure glad to hear all are safe Dan...Pat and Ruth

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad all are ok.I think I'll call my mom.By

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, I feel really bad for your Dad's lost possesions. But the best part is that he's okay and he has a great son like you to help him out.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,
You had me holding my breath about maybe your place; thank God your dad's okay; what a scare.
My dad also had his trailer burn down in the keys in the 70's. It was after his boat blew up with him in the engine room too. After a year of intensive care, he started doing fine and rebuilt;
He was so tough; and I'm so glad your dad is such a tough bird too. God bless him and glad you still have him to watch him smile! My dad used to be an electrical engineer for Chicago railroads and loved his lionel trains but they were burnt up in the fire. Yet, he saved a couple, and it just reminds me that it may be time for your dad to run those trains for you!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Cisco & Kelly, said as well as all others.
Most importantly...When the shock wears off from
the event, your dad will need your attention.
The good thing is that you will have someone
beside you with knowledge.
Good luck to all of you.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!