Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - kinda - Bizzare band names....list 'em

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - kinda - Bizzare band names....list 'em
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just posted a logo/banner I designed/made for my 17 year old's band on the portfolio site.

They're playing their first [unpaid] gig for their high school's winter homecoming.

They tried to think up a really retarded name and succeeded - - they named their band "PUS"....it stands for:

Pimple Under Skin

I know a lot of you are in bands or have kids/relatives/friends in bands.....what are some of the crazy names you have - or have seen out there in the ameteur ranks? [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this one isn't really crazy, but I always thought it was one of the best names I ever heard, they aren't/weren't really amatuers either, they played on the local bar scene for a number of years.........."Rockers Oysterfeller"

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My freinds bands, Boccigalupe, and Moments Notice, and another I heard when i was a kid, Emergency Exit.

Blue Oyster Cult used to play clubs as Soft White Underbelly.

MC

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like a band called "Ozric Tentacles". I've got most of their stuff. Kind of a spacey, trippy prog style rock with bubbles.

Another that I've always thought was a great name is "Brand X", A proggy jazz/rock stuff that Phil Collins drummed with.

Before Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd, they played under the name "The Architectural Abdabs".

And of course how can I not mention "The Mothers of Invention" being the Zappa nut I am. They originally wanted to call themselves just "The Mothers", but I guess the record industry in 1965 didn't think that a very nice name in the day and frowned upon it.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my favorite semi-local band by far was a band called "Spank the Monkey" from Nawlins... they played at the Pink Pony Pub, a bar on the beach in Gulf Shores, AL...

But like so many, they got cracked out and went their separate ways... bummer.

Other local bands around here: the Heebie Jeebies, (lost a member and became the Threebie Jeebies), Acoustifunk, Electric Koolaid, Dr. Awkward, Ready Set Run!, Deadly Fists of Kung Fu, and finally my favorite "Alligator Death Roll."

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No............... I DIDN'T........

Argh.

[ February 03, 2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to go and listen to a local metal band at The Excelsion tavern in Christchurch New Zealand called "machine head" others were called "Killing mr onion" and "elephant jam".
I have a rock posters book and I love the posters from a band named "The String Cheese Incident" tehe. I've never heard any of their music but they must tour fairly extensively in the states as they had a lot of really funky tour posters.

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead Kennedys
Smashing Pumpkins
Naked Wednesday
The Knuckleheads
Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Friend The Chocolate Cake
Machine Gun Fellatio
TISM (This Is Serious Mum)

All well worth a listen

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Flewelling
Visitor
Member # 2577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Flewelling   Email Dale Flewelling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My oldest boy (21) plays for "Last Kid Picked" (same as website)My youngest (18) "Ground Cover"

--------------------
Dale Flewelling
Art Attack Signs & Design
Newport, NH

Posts: 114 | From: Newport, New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's friend's band is: "Where The Blood Trail Ends". Another band at her school is "When Angels Mourn". Both would be good except they are what's known as "Screamo" bands. No singing, just screaming. She's not really into it (thank God).

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Squirrel Nut Zippers" was one that always one of my favorite wacko band names...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Buttless Chaps.... local band. The Be Good Tanyas...The Perpetrators

lest we forget...Songpainter!

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's not up there with previous examples, but didn't 'Elvis' sound pretty wacky until he became famous?

Or was it one of those quite regular names in the States which sound so strange to the foreign ear, like Hiram and Peggy-Sue?

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...Our local bands include:
Jill West and Blues Attack
Donny Iris and the Cruisers (that's his real name) he also had a band called "The Jaggerz"
The Slammin' Doors (Doors cover band)
The Jentz (my cousin's band who played at the Mars Meet)
Mind's I
The Earth Quakers (they dress like they're Amish...it's hilarious)
Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers (used to be Iron City Houserockers)
Haywire
The Clarks (not their real name)
The Povertyneck Hillbillies
Johnny Angel and the Halos
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicola Rowlands
Visitor
Member # 5371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicola Rowlands   Email Nicola Rowlands       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
matt vinyl & the decorators.......a scottish punk band [Smile]

--------------------
Nicola Rowlands
RGS Signs & Screenprinting
Reval Green
Finavon By Forfar
Angus scotland
01307 850 260

'learn from the mistakes of others..you can't live long enough to make them yourself'

Posts: 108 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite band of all time,...Govt. Mule
Phish, Widespread Panic, 3 doors down

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Loaded Rubber"

The band we used to have at our "Summer Bash" every year when I shared a house with 4 other guys.

They have since "DisBanded"

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David O'Hanlon
Visitor
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David O'Hanlon   Author's Homepage   Email David O'Hanlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about "Chester Drawers and the Lowboys" and
"Jock Strap and his Elastic Band"?

--------------------
Army Dave
Oz

Posts: 229 | From: Brisbane, Oz | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As my son has been playing local clubs regularly for the past few years (mostly shows where there are like 10 young bands) I've heard some real doosies. (the names and the bands)
One night on the way home from work I stop at one of the clubs to pick up pre-sale tickets (band keeps everything after 25 sold)...
There are a couple young drunk girls (young to me, I'm getting old) sitting on the floor yelling "where's my penis" ... turns out it was the name of the next band (screamo's in their 30's, sad).
I thought that was pretty dumb.
although there is a local group named Retard Riot
along with (Copied from local band forum ... yes they are real)
Father son picnic
Blank Stare
Kill the Messenger
Candy Bowl Mousetraps
Scars of Tomorrow
Ghost Arm
Good As Dead
Quit Your Day Job
Suffocation
Decapitated
Atomic Bitchwax
Crazy People Next Door
Devil His Due
Kill the Pandas
Holy Handgrenades
GoatWhore
No-Arms Boy
Elly May and the Critters
Dirty Projectors
Eyes Averted
Elf Power
Damien's Birthday Party
Define Normal
Stifling Neglect
Ruben Stuttered
Knife Crazy
The Leaf Blower Incident
Helmet of Gnats
Hateful Young Urban Professionals
All Too Human
Sweet Action
Blinding Fists
My Bitter End
Pitbull Daycare
Armcarver
Remove the Veil
16 Bitch Pile-Up
A Thousand Shades of Cold
Torment the Vein
Loud Desperation
Divine Hysteria
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Hung
Mindspray
Yer Mom

so, what kind of music is PUS?

(edit really crappy spelling [Smile]

[ February 05, 2007, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great names folks....and "what a list" Mark!! [Eek!]

"Pus" is correctly spelled as the type of pus which it refers to.

quote:
Main Entry: pus
Pronunciation: 'p&s
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin pur-, pus -- more at FOUL
: thick opaque usually yellowish-white fluid matter formed by suppuration and composed of exudate containing white blood cells, tissue debris, and microorganisms

Mark - I guess you'd say they play mainly "punk" type stuff??

They're just getting started and having fun, so they are basically playing others music which includes:

Green Day
Blink 182
Angels and Airwaves
Semi-Sonics
Eve 6
Relient K

My son is a big Travis Barker fan (ex-drummer for Blink 182) as far as liking his skill/style...and he can play all his past and present songs perfectly......

They're having fun....vocals are the weak link....with one of their guitartist/vocalists...but they have another kid that plays the base who has a really good voice.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Free Beer" was a great name and "Chongo & the Murkin Fluffers" are the two that jumped into my head.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd,
let us know when you got a youtube link to hear your son play.

That would be cool!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Butthole Surfers

a great double bill is "Free Beer" and "Bare Naked Ladies"

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On of my favorite albums from the 70's is Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends had a band back in the late 80s-early 90s call...

The Screaming Iguanas of Love

Another one was called...

The No

???

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenny Lund
Visitor
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenny Lund   Author's Homepage   Email Kenny Lund       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super Heavy Goat Ass
Zero Charisma
Agoraphobic Nosebleed

There's a ton more that I can't remember at the moment.

--------------------
Kenny Lund
Phenomenon Designs
Farmingdale, NJ

Posts: 72 | From: Farmingdale, New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan Allan
Visitor
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivan Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Ivan Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arthur Vanson... you are looking scarily like Roy Orbison in your forum photo man!

Which is very cool...

My 15 year old son's band is called "Living Room" because... you guessed it, they started practice in my living room.

--------------------
Ivan Allan
Eye Signs
SK Canada

"One's first step in wisdom is to question everything"

Posts: 102 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!