Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gold Leaf Glass

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold Leaf Glass
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.
I have had real trouble finding gelatin capsules or gelatin sheeting so I used gelatin crystals boiled it strained in and I am getting a slight clouding on my gild. I clean the glass to perfection I am sure that it is the geltain! I made serval washes changing mixures and distilled water on all of them but I can not fix this problem...
Is there another way I can do this?
Could anyone please give me some advice.

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Posts: 43 | From: St Marys NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never used the crystals Clint, but I suspect that is the culprit.
Although the diamonds are the best solution according to most of the more experienced, I have had good results with the capsules which I had the local pharmacist order in. Have you tried some pharmacies? Usually they have their orders in a few times a week so you shouldn't have to wait too long. I'm sure Paul Jordan could give you a heads up as to where to purchase supplies from Australia.
I'd say that if you have had repeated problems, it's time to change tracks. [Smile]

[ January 23, 2007, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also. . .you don't boil the capsules or gelatin sheet. Only heat to "before" boil.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try cutting back on the strength of the gelatin by using less.

Never boil, only bring to a steam, if you boil it will ruin the capulary action of the gelatin.

Clouding or Snail Trails can occur with old gelatin.

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks eveyone..

I will try the chemist.

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Posts: 43 | From: St Marys NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan Nicholl-Caddell
Visitor
Member # 2882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brendan Nicholl-Caddell   Email Brendan Nicholl-Caddell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Clint,

I was going to say the same. Try two caps per "billy" full. ie. 500ml hot water. Stir it and let it cool. I suppose it depends upon the size of the caps. The more gelatin you put in the harder it is to get off.

--------------------
Brendan Nicholl-Caddell
Better Value Bright Signs
1/36 Whitworth Av. Springvale Vic 3171

Posts: 1 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empty gellatin caps aren't as plentiful as they
once were.

Clint, what size caps?

Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get the diamond sheets from Sepp, or probably one of our Letterville merchants like Letterhead Sign Supply or Canadian Signcrafters.
I have heard that sometimes capsules from the pharmacist can be old and don't melt properly.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Urban J. Billmeier
Merchant

Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Urban J. Billmeier   Author's Homepage   Email Urban J. Billmeier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Clinton,

Kelly has it right. Your local pharmacist should have this in stock or be able to acquire it for you in a short amount of time. We stock the capsules for a convenience to our customers. That won't help you much in Australia though. We also have a recipe that has been handed down from my grandfather and beyond. Here goes:

GELATINE SIZE

2 or 3 No. 00 Gelatin capsules--separate (open) capsules and put into 1/2 pint distilled water. Slowly bring to boiling point and dissolve same. Add 1/2 pint more distilled water, return to boiling point. Strain through a cheese cloth and add a few drops of grain alcohol. Note: Be sure that all pots and cloth are perfectly clean!!!
This recipe is from my Grandfather Urban F. Billmeier, Master Gold Beater now deceased.

A few notes my father has added is that the water is brought to the boiling point and not to a rolling boil or ragging boil. Also the pots used were porcelain and very clean. Today you would want to use a stainless steel pot. Don't use aluminum or something else that will leach off into the water.

The gelatin capsules we stock are made by the Eli Lilly company of Indianapolis, Indiana USA. They come with 100 in a box of the No. 00 size. This is important because the capsule sizes go from No. 000 thru No. 5. This may help when you see your Pharmacist.

And one last thing! 1 pint is just over 1/2 liter (.568).

Hope this helps,

Urban J. Billmeier
W&B Gold Leaf

--------------------
Urban J. Billmeier
W&B Gold Leaf, LLC
A Chicago based company
PO Box 544
Sheboygan, WI 53082-0544
USA
920-459-8206

Posts: 6 | From: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clint,
I got a bottle full of gelatinie capsules from a chemist in Sydney years ago - 100 capsules for about $3 back then...let me know if you need some & I can post them, but they should be easy to get, from ANY chemist. Very easy.

I used to use 1/2 a capsule to the metric cup of water. Cloudiness is caused by impurities in the water, whether from minerals, or from excess gelatine.
You then add 50-100% extra water to halve the strength of the gelatine, for a second gild.

P.S. they were sizeable capsules, too- each half was about 3/4" long.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went ot the chemist yesterday, They have heaps...
I gilded yesterday and it looks pretty good. I think I might need to drop the gelatin down some more before I get it perfect. Thanks eveyone for your help. I recieved some great emails with lots of useful stuff...
Once again thank you.

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I believe that there are gelatin caps derived from both animal and vegetable. I've only used the animal and could wonder about the other.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it sounds like you have found an answer, I have a few suggestions. First, sheet gel is more pure gelatin and has fewer clouds as a result, using 4 diamonds to a pint. Capsules have some minor contamination which are acceptable for something to be digested, usually particles of gelatin, but can cause clouds as a result.

The formula for using granulated gelatin is very specific and if you skip a step, the result is clouds in the gild. I only use granulated when I am stuck, out of town for instance, without sheet gel. First, the amount to be used in a pint of water is one single layer covering a dime (US). Place this gelatin in a pint of cold water to soak and expand, usually to twice its size, which may take 5 minutes or up to an hour, depending upon the age of the gel. Because granular gelatin is uncooked, you must bring the water with the expanded gelatin to a full boil, then allow to cool but not chill as the gelatin will solidify. It is good practice to strain this mix before applying as some granules may not dissolve fully. I use a piece of fine mesh screen print fabric, not a coffee filter as some have suggested as too much of the gelatin is lost in the filter. There are other mesh fabrics that are suitable including pantyhose etcetera.

[ January 24, 2007, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Kent Smith ]

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Jordan
Resident

Member # 1198

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Paul Jordan   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clint, call me if you need a hand with anything.

--------------------
Paul Jordan
Jordan Signs
http://jordansigns.com.au
paul@jordansigns.com.au
Australia
"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing" George Bernard Shaw, I think.

Posts: 166 | From: Caringbah, N.S.W., Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!