Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Clear Reflective Vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear Reflective Vinyl
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere I recently saw an advertisement for a reflective film that would go over existing lettering and still allow the color to be retained in the daylight, but making it reflective at night. Anyone know about this product? Who sells it? Who makes it? What is it's life expectancy? Anyone have any history with it?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about that one Rick, reflective over a color. But I have done the other way around, transparent over reflective. Transparent, not translucent, is a macmark product designed to do exactly that, either go over reflective, or it can be used on windows for a great effect.

Check out the macmark website for more info on this product and its uses, or contact your macmark supplier for color swatches.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the mention of it in Sign Craft this morning and went to the web site. As best I read, it's a water based paint that is a clear that can go over paint. Some question as to whether it works in the weather....rain...a wet surface might render this ineffective.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked similar Question last month Rick, but no luck so far...

I know it exists, I've been told it's called Ghost reflective, but I haven't tracked it down yet.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, it does sound interesting Rick. What issue and what page, or if you will, please post a link to the site.

Thanks

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Ames Reflective Paint

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Joanna Barnett
Visitor
Member # 6544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joanna Barnett   Email Joanna Barnett       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello I was just reading up on that off of that site you sent Rick,... You can buy it right there, it says from USA but i'm sure there has tobe more places then this one,.. one can $99 +shiping ouch

--------------------
Joanna Barnett
Blackfoot, ALberta

Posts: 207 | From: Nipawin | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill Steblyna
Visitor
Member # 6642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill Steblyna   Email Jill Steblyna       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought some Ames reflective spray paint .I tried it over top of silkscreened graphics on coroplast.A really light coat gave some reflective qualities not as much as I hoped.A heavy coat was more reflective.Trouble was next day I checked the work and the ink had lifted off the coroplast.Needs more experimentation.

--------------------
Jill Steblyna
Commonwealth Displays
Burnaby,B C Canada

Posts: 7 | From: Burnaby,B C ,Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
That's interesting. Wonder how it would do over a enamel painted surface? Was the reflectivity even? It seems there might be a problem with consistency.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill Steblyna
Visitor
Member # 6642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill Steblyna   Email Jill Steblyna       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,
The paint went on evenly,my son is good with a spray can,he's had lots of practise.He reccomends a few thin coats rather than one thick one.The reflectivity was even.We're gonna try it on wood and metal we'll keep you posted.The paint is a light gray,supposed to be clear,how much it changes the colour would depend on how many coats are applied.We were dissapointed with the reflectivity,it was nothing like reflective vinyl
and sprayed over top of slikscreen ink on coro it lifted the ink.We were left with completely clean coro not a trace of ink or reflective paint left it all just flaked off.So we'll stick to reflective vinyl.We'll experiment with it on enamel painted wood today I'll let you know how it goes.

--------------------
Jill Steblyna
Commonwealth Displays
Burnaby,B C Canada

Posts: 7 | From: Burnaby,B C ,Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JIll how are you making out with your experiments?

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Spray bomb product is being sold around here for blinding the camera's at intersections for
those who run the red lights.
I don't know if it works, but if it does I
might get some. There are way too many camera's
around here.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!