Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » LCD Monitor Questions - Bunches of 'em!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LCD Monitor Questions - Bunches of 'em!!
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I received an HP w22 22" LCD Widescreen for Christmas. I love the size of it but no matter what I do I can't get the text to look crisp. In addition, it has this high pitched buzzing noise that is killing my ears and making me have headaches. Is that normal?

The native resolution is set to 1680 x 1050. That makes text quite small for my eyes! However, if I try to go to a larger resolution the fuzziness is even worse.

Right now I have it plugged into the VGA. I do have a DVI-D plug but my video card is not DVI. The problem I'm having is my 3 year old Dell has a 250W power supply and I can't find a AGP card with DVI that has both widescreen resolutions and will work with the 250W power supply. Most want at least 350-400W.

So, if you have an LCD monitor (particularly widescreen), how do you have it hooked up? VGA? DVI?

I'm thinking about taking this back and ordering the Dell 2007WFP 20.1". However, that monitor is also best at 1680 x 1050. I'm figuring I'll have the same issues with trying to make the resolution a little larger. And I'm still stuck with using VGA since I can't seem to find a video card to work with my PC.

I'd love to hear from anyone who owns an LCD. Makes/Models, types of connections used, sizes, video cards, etc.

I need to figure out rather quickly what I need to do with this monitor before I can't return it. It was $400 and I already have to pay 15% restocking fee, but that's OK if I can find something more suitable for my eyes.

Like I said, I really do love the size and the gain in desk space. Looking in the store is worthless since they don't have anything hooked up with digital signals anyway.

Any input appreciated! Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Amy,
Did you try messing with the display properties?
Under the "Appearance" tab, you can select your font size and the "Effects" button in the same tab you can to choose the size of you icons.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are using Windows XP, there is a download called clear type that helps with the display of type on LCD monitors. You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

Hope it helps!

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's buzzin' cousin, I'd return it. That is NOT normal. Both of my Viewsonic LCD's show crystal clear type, are totally silent, with one plugged into my Mac and the other in my Dell.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The high-pitched buzz is not normal...

However, I have seen the fuzziness in many different LCD's when the screen resolution is set too low. My dad-in-law runs his 19" LCD on 800x600 to make the icons and text larger, but it causes everything to be slightly fuzzy.

To me, it's easier to read with the rez cranked up. It makes the text smaller, but the clearness makes up for it. Since I do CAD and graphics on a daily basis, I like the screen area it gives me also.

Also I highly recommend the Dell's. We have 6 Dell LCD's and love them. Crystal clear with good color. Personally I'd rather have the 2007FP which is the normal aspect instead of the wide screen. If I were watching a lot of movies on my machine, it would be different...

If you go Dell, make sure you get the Ultrasharp FP series.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LCD's are only clear when set to their native resolution. If the text is too small at that resolution, you can select larger text from the operating system, but don't reset the monitor resolution.

The buzzing is not normal and may indicate it is not being powered properly. I'm no expert at that however, it may be that DVI includes power where VGA does not.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Viewsonic do you have Dave? How are they connected? VGA, DVI?

Thanks.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, Everyone is Right.. The Buzzing is not normal so why would you have to pay a 15% restocking fee on a defective monitor.

As for the Video card. Unless your doing massive amounts of 3D Work or Gaming you do not need all that video RAM. Most 2D Programs don't even Access the Video Ram.
Take a look at this Card and this should work fine on your Power supply. A 250 Watt power supply is a little weak for most any computer but that is an easy relatively inexpensive upgrade Just get a good Supply like an Antec. Clean Power is very important.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA23370

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21825

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Dell 2007WFP 20.1", and at first I wondered if I would like it at the highest resolution. When I first set it up the letters sure were tiny, but I thought I would at least give it a fair trial. After a few minutes I got used to everything being smaller, and I never went back. I love this monitor. I also got the clip-on speaker accessory, and couldn't be happier. No more speakers falling over on my desk, and few wires too.

Buzzing is a bad thing. Never heard of that on an LCD. I would return it as defective.

I use the VGA output on my video card, which seem to work just fine.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like they may have sent you an X-Ray machine instead of a monitor!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noise is not normal. The sound like a leaky power supply within..
Power supplies should be up around 300 watts any more. The newer CPU's and fan requirements ask for that.
In fact my son's AMD 64 chip needs a 400 watt power supply.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!