Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mounting 60# Carved Redwood sign on Brick wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mounting 60# Carved Redwood sign on Brick wall
Laurie Corl
Visitor
Member # 5324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie Corl   Email Laurie Corl       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone out there have a favorite way to mount a 3' x 4' x 1.75" redwood sign on a brick building?

--------------------
Laurie Corl
Same Day Signs
5327 Jacuzzi St. unit 2D
Richmond, California 94803

Posts: 30 | From: Richmond, California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have I got a solution for you! Cut two redwood splines about 4" x 36" with an undercut on the long edge. You'll also need a small spacer for the bottom about 2" x 36". Mount one spline to the backside of the sign near the top with the undercut pointing down, high edge out, creating a space underneath. Also mount the spacer near the bottom of the sign. Mount the other spline on the wall with the high edge out so it receives the other spline. Use countersunk Tapcons for attaching the wood to the brick or mortar. Simply hang the sign on the other spline and it's done. It won't move and I've never had one stolen that was mounted like that. No mounting showing.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a 1"x4" cedar board. Rip a 45 deg. cut down the length of it. Mount one side to the sign and one side to the wall. And just hang it on there. Also put another 1" kicker board at the bottom to make up the space of the top piece.

Run one screw throught the face and into the brick at the bottom. And its locked in place.

Edited to say. What Ricky said. God thats scary!

[ December 21, 2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: jake snow ]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a stud mount for this situation. Drill and screw studs into the backside of the sign. Make a paper or cardboard template of the sign with the stud locations. Place template on building and mark stud locations on wall. Drill hole in brick using appropriate bit and hammer-drill. Blow out holes and fill with adhesive. Mount sign to wall and fix until adhesive sets.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another way is to use 3" shoes top and bottom.
Screw them to the wall then set the sign in and screw in from the edge.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie Corl
Visitor
Member # 5324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie Corl   Email Laurie Corl       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky

Is the sign just hanging on the spline? Are there any fasteners holding the splines together? Is the bottom spacer just resting against the building?

This is California after all. We had a little 3.5 shaker here ysterday that was within 10 miles so it was exiting! I'd be afraid the sign would jump off the wall.

[ December 21, 2006, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Laurie Corl ]

--------------------
Laurie Corl
Same Day Signs
5327 Jacuzzi St. unit 2D

Posts: 30 | From: Richmond, California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altho a "french cleat" (whats being described here) is a very efficient way to install such a sign you're right about California building codes and I doubt the inspectors would allow such a mounting.

Since you're mounting on a brick building I would suggest no less than 4 anchors ...I use the expanding machinest mounting bolts ( 5/16") they take a 3/8" hole. (the expanding sleeve is 3/8" in diameter...the bolt is 5/16"))make sure the bolt is long enough to go thru your sign and hold tightly. Do this by "setting" the bolt before you install the sign then cut off the amount of bolt you don't need (with a hack saw)then back the nut off so sign can be installed over the bolts. Make sure the expansion sleeve is a 3" (bricks are only 3" and it won't work expanding behind them)

Drill your face where you want the mounts and make an install pattern. One trick I use to hide the bolts is to use a spade bit to drill the sign about half way thru the same size as a 3/4" copper plumbing cap then drill the rest of the way thru with a 3/8" standard bit (tho accept the bolts with a little wiggle room).

Once the sign is in place take some of the background color and swab the hole then insert the cap to cover the bolt tapping it gently with a hammer (rawhide if you have one) this makes for a beautiful hidden hardware install) paint the cap with the same color as the background.

shoud you ever need to remove the sign simply drill a self drilling screw about an inch long into the middle of the cap and as it hits the bolt under neath it will draw the cap out easily with no damage ...otherwise the cap will stay there forever if it's not tinkered with.

Hope all this makes since ...one thing I know for sure ...the inspector will find no fault with this type of install.

This is all much easier than it sounds...just make sure your install pattern is levee when you start.

Good luck...you'll like this install method...it's solid and attractive.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd use king clips (the oversized version of panel clips) from Brooklyn Hardware (they advertise in SignCraft). These are extruded aluminum cleats that work on the principle of the french cleat, but because they are deeper and tighter are a lot more secure. For additional security you could add a bead of silicone to the inside of the cleat - the sign won't shake loose until the building falls.

Another question: Which way does the grain run in your sign (horizontal or vertical)? A redwood sign that size will expand and contract up to 3/8" across the grain, and if it's bolted tight to the wall without room to move, it will either crack or buckle.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use cleats or shoes to easily get the sign onto the wall straight and level, then through bolt into sheilds.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laurie, Jake explained it a LOT more simply than I did but we're talking about the same exact thing. I would add the screw in the bottom for sure.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie Corl
Visitor
Member # 5324

Thanks guys

I was also concerned about the expansion. The grain is horizontal. When I've used cleats on previous installations (Gatorfoam signs) I have another spacer attached to the wall above the other bottom spacer and then screw or otherwise lock the two spacers together from below so there is still no fasterner showing.

--------------------
Laurie Corl
Same Day Signs
5327 Jacuzzi St. unit 2D

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!