Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » thank God for them blues!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thank God for them blues!
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Closin' up the shop early today. That little woman of mine has been workin' me to death ... (just kiddin').

Goin' down to Champaign to hear my man Coco Montoya play them bluz. Hurt me! Hurt me! If I was going to be a singer I'd have his voice. He ain't shabby on the axe either.

Music sloothes the savage beast and I are one. I must go and get soothed -- later.....!!!!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Boyyyy! It must be nice being that close to Chicago.
I thought of you this week, got a new ( to me ) group someone turned me onto. First chance you get, look into a band from Florida called MoFro http://www.mofro.net

You will NOT be dissappointed!(sp?)

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Coco in 1999 he is fantasic, you will get you moneys worth.... I cant believe it but I am going to see Johnny Winter in December, yes he is still alive!

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill you lucky dog. It sure was nice jamming with you in Hotlanta! Have fun.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure like that link to MoFro, John. Gotta order a cd from them boys.
Last blues show I saw was a triple header of Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Delbert McClinton, and BB King. What a night!

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,
Hope the show was awesome!
A month ago I took my son and his girlfriend to the Tall Stacks festival in Cincy. We saw Charlie Musselwhite, Buddy Guy and a little blues/rock-a-billy band MichaelLocke & the Repeat Offenders. There were more but couldn't be at 2 stages at the same time.
Had a blast!

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mofro is an incredible live band. Kind of a mix between hippie jam band and a blues band...kind of like the old Chickasaw Muddpuppes.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coco just played here last week and was great! First time I saw him he was with the Bluesbreakers. OT- I just read that the "New Cars" are on tour and will be playing at a ballroom about an hours drive away from here in a couple weeks. Todd Rundgren and Tubes drummer Prairie Prince have joined the band. Think I might put in my earplugs and go...

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess who played on stage with Coco at a Farm Aid concert in Eureka Montana in 1998?

-

-

Yup Rosemary and Latigo. That's Rosemary on Bass.
As soon as I find the picture with all of them in the same stage pan shot I'll post it.

The other guy is Latigo's old guitar teacher, George McGuire, lead guitarist for the Righteous Brothers in the 70s and music writer/performer of the soundtracks for Fire in The Streets.

[ November 04, 2006, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Pierre St.Marie ]

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------
Plan on knowing everything before I die and time's running out!

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say much about Coco Montoya, but this seems like as good a place as any to say that it's nice to see Pierre posting in Letterville with a little more frequency again.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, thank you, Jon.

P

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will second that! Great pics too!

Bill enjoy!

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my 2 greatest blues moments were, sitting at the local blues hole in the wall, during sunday open jamand Luther "guitar jr." Johnson (Muddy Waters fame) showed up, didnt get to jam with him but I got to watch him play in a small, smoke filled barroom

second greatest blues moment was backstage at the Winter Island Blues festival in 1999, meeting the one and only Mr. Bo Didely, also met Monster Mike Welsh and James Montgomery there.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coco was fantastic. The drummer, keyboardist and bass player all played unbelieveable solos. They put on a great show and Coco is was very cool and appreciative of the audience. It's hard to imagine talented folks like that going from town to town and playing in front of such small crowds in bars and still show so much appreciation. He must have said, "please, have me back!" about 10 times. Those in attendance were very lucky to be there and hear it all.

Some how I don't get it. There are those out there with 1/100th the talent -- playing in front of stadium crowds -- making a gazillion dollars and showing little repect for humanity. I will continue to support these great musicians.

John, you're right MoFro is good music (thanks!) It was great jamming with you and Ricky. Jamming with fellow letterheads is more fun than humanly possible.

Pierre, I don't know these kids, but if Coco let them jam with him, they must be fantastic. Tell me about them, because I don't get on the board much and have missed out on who they are.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

You know her here as Rosemary......... and her Brother, Latigo.
My kids.

-

-

This is the original band with George McGuire and "Mondo" Mike Piazza, well known jazz drummer, now deceased

-

The kids in our Recording Studio.

-

P

[ November 06, 2006, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Pierre St.Marie ]

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pierre, was Mike Piazza related to Rod Piazza of Rod Piazza and the Mighty Fliers out of California?

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Dana, I remember that name and I do know he was from California originally. I'll get in touch with his wife this week and ask. I need an excuse to call her anyway. He had 3 kids.

P

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Cool, Pierre, wow!

Yeah, Rod Piazza & the Mighty Fliers kick butt, bigtime!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, you've got great taste!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

MoFro and Rod Piazza cds are available on eBay. Just ordered some today.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto The Mighty Flyers comments. Fine outfit.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Next artist I'm wanting to see is Popa Chubby -- "Low Down & Dirty", "Sweet Goddess of Love & Beer." I missed him Nov. 1st at Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago.

Gonna play them blues on XM right now and get on with the day. Remember music soothes the savage beast ...........

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Another one that I have been buying lately is Candye Kane. Great voice. Just don't hold her past against her.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Wish Piazza would get out of California and tour the midwest again. He used to play Des Moines about once a year but we haven't seen him in a while. Same goes for Little Charley and the Nitecats. He cancelled two dates here this year because of his health. He's booked again at my friend's club in March. Can't wait to see them again.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

You-Tube blues clip of the day

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a search for Coca Montoya I found Alligator Records 30th Anniversary Collection.

All great stuff, Thanks Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Records-30th-Anniversary-Collection/dp/B00005NBXE/sr=8-3/qid=1163506270/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-6181945-3874220?ie=UTF8&s=music

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Dana if you like bluesy women check out Susan Tedeschi ... not only can she belt 'em out, she rips on the 6 string too... she has jammed with many of the old great and is well respected in the blues community, saw her this past summer with Eta James.... shes cute too!

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

quote:
Originally posted by captain ken:
Dana if you like bluesy women check out Susan Tedeschi ... not only can she belt 'em out, she rips on the 6 string too... she has jammed with many of the old great and is well respected in the blues community, saw her this past summer with Eta James.... shes cute too!

Been there, done that.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Susan Tedeschi a couple of times at a local watering hole, back in the '90s.
She can belt 'em out. A lot like Bonnie Rait.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Yeah Steve, I'm armed with a few of Susan's cd's. I think woman who play the blues and belt them out almost get to me more than the men.

Other belters along the lines of Susan and Bonnie would be Etta James, Renee Austin, Kelley Hunt, Irma Thomas and Jane's favorite ... Aretha.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Hey guys, hate to keep adding youtube links to this thread but since we're on the subect of blues women, here's one you ought to check out Barbara Lynn Wonder if she's still alive? Notice that she's lefthanded. Tonight I'm goin' downtown to hear a guy named Bruce Katz on the Hammond B-3.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Great renditions of a great song. She's definately one with that guitar. Her strum technique is way cool. Wonder what year we're talking here.

Thanks, Brent!

[ November 15, 2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Bill Diaz ]

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Brent:

Here's a guy I'd like to see... Monte Montgomery (on guitar)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIbDeuEIqKc&mode=related&search=

Also Junior Brown

http://youtube.com/watch?v=16qsYreBJZE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7JZfhp6jZ-c&mode=related&search=

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Bill, you and me are gonna have to go out bar hoppin' one of these days. I love Junior Brown. Got a chance to see him in of all places, New York city about 12 years ago. That guy can pick!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

You're on, Brent!

Yeah, when Junior goes flyin' around on his guitsteel playing a bunch of high notes and then he hits a low one, my knees get all wobbly. I just love that stuff.

Back in the late 70's we used to listen to "Asleep at the Wheel", Ry Cooder and Leon Redbone. All that music was unique and it doesn't take much for me to get into a mood to listen to that music.

I'm lucky I have diverse tastes, because a lot of the folks that I grew up with just listen to the 50-60's stuff we grew up with and they never left the era or experienced any of the unique stuff that followed, but hey, each to his own ...

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

One of the local legends here in northeast Ohio is Colin Dussault. He does harmonica driven blues.
http://www.colindussault.com/

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to a site for a documentary some friends of mine are working on - good stuff....

http://rockingtheboatmovie.com/

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Yes indeed, Sonny. I've seen Delbert twice -- he puts on a good show with some talented backups. Long tall Marcia Ball and Tommy Castro are on my list, but now that's pretty cool you put that together and all. What's up with this site?

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

OK music lovers, here's yet ANOTHER Youtube link someone sent me this weekend. Banned Cartoon Hope no one finds this offensive. I thought the music in it was great.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!