Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » vinyl on awnings question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vinyl on awnings question
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a client who needs his awning changed to reflect a new business name. It's a large awning about 100ft long that I have worked on several times over the last 10 years or so. In the past I have removed the old vinyl lettering and done my best to clean it back to a bright white, but it shows ghosts of the old lettering after.

It's really looking dirty now, and probably wont clean up too well. I have suggested to the client it's probably time to replace the awning but he only has three years left on the lease and is not sure it will be renewed and doesn't want to go with the expense.

The face that receives the graphics is flat and about 27inches by 100feet. Has anyone had success with applying large digital prints to something like this? Would it last long enough till the lease expires? Just a random thought how to get this done, so please let me know if you've attempted anything like this.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,
The big question here is the fabric.
Is it vinyl? What type? Is it in good enough shape to hold the vinyl print?

If the fabric can be cleaned without it falling apart, a digital print should work just fine.

If the fabric is worn or thin in spots, the prints may fail because they nothing to stick to.

You didn't say if they are illuminated or not, but if they are not, you may be able to cover the entire face with digital prints on .040 aluminum or thin lexan, and then attach the panels to frame.

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for a recover.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If after cleaning it...if it is still ugly...a gallon of gloss acrylic latex and a roller will make it look like new. Your prints will bond very nicely to the gloss paint!

I have had good luck with Sherwin Williams A100.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really have to agree with Brad, but it wont fly here. I will however make a ton of money out of having to deal with this headache.

Hi Tom, it is a vinyl awning, and it's still in pretty good shape with the exception of years of road grime staining it. I do like the idea of attaching panels, and I really hadn't thought it that far through to come up with that solution. I'll look into it, and it might just be the best solution here.

Si, I had thought about cleaning and then coating it with vinyl ink, but wasn't sure if the white would cover the grime or if it would bleed through. Acrylic latex would be far less toxic. I wouldn't have thought it would bite into a flexable surface and stay stuck for any length of time, but I wouldn't argue with your years of experience and successes. Another alternative to ponder.

Of course this is also a rush job for the stores grand opening, and I leave to take care of my dad for a couple weeks on Nov 3rd. It needs to be done before I go. The client says I am the only one he wants to do it. Sounds like a blank cheque job!

Thanks for the replys, I'll sleep on it and get to work in the morning with one of these solutions.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!