Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » anyone ever use mirror window film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone ever use mirror window film?
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
howdy!

i've got (3)2ft x 5ft horizontal windows that were sheetrocked over from the inside so from the outside they are kinda gray and icky looking(slight tint to the windows.) there are also (4)3ft x 5ft vertical windows under them that i put some full digital prints. so now the customer would like to do something with the top windows like maybe put that mirrored film in.
since there's a theme going on with the bottom 4 windows we really don't want to put another print on those windows. just make them look better than the gray. originally we thought of blacking them out, but with the nice bright graphics below i think the black would look too harsh.
anyone ever use that mirrored stuff??? and where did you get it?

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karyn,

If you mean the mirrored vinyl film?
I know you can get various sizes and finishes, silver or gold. The trick is to not scratch it. I apply it like regular vinyl on windows.
Transfer Tape, generous application fluid and gold squeegee. If you do need to squeegee after removing the transfer tape, either use a felt squeegee (Ameriban/Fellers) or wrap your gold one in felt or soft paper towel. I would test squeegee a scrap first to ensure you don't scratch it. Then trim with xacto.
Another option I have used is mirrored finished acrylic sheet. You could cut the acrylic to size and use vhb tape to adhere to window.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks i will check it out.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn, another option might be Etchmark vinyl from Avery. I've been using a lot of that lately to block out windows. It looks great if applied properly and is really durable.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks brent, i will look into that also.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that film right in stock Karyn. Let me know if you are interested. [Smile]

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric McDowell
Visitor
Member # 6857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric McDowell   Email Eric McDowell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the etchmark. It is made by more companies than just avery. I blocked out all the windows in an office with good results. Also designs look good on mirrors and vehicle windows.

--------------------
Eric McDowell
McDowell's Signworks/Performance Graphics
Wellsville,NY

Posts: 17 | From: Wellsville, NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Wunch
Visitor
Member # 3577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Wunch   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Wunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Chrome-Look Vinyl

Hint: There's both exterior- and interior-grade 'Chrome' vinyl... THAT I learned the hard way... [Embarrassed] Duh!

--------------------
Karen Wunch (kwunch on chat)
A2Z SIGNS in Buford, GA
----------------
"Believe there is a great power silently working all things for good, behave yourself and never mind the rest." ~~Beatrice Potter

Posts: 126 | From: Buford Georgia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch using the etched glass look vinyl for this job. One of my best clients had me do this on some interior windows and French doors that had been studed and drywalled over on the inside. Etch film is not opaque and will let some light through. In my case lights on the outside caused the studs to cast a dark shadow on the back of the drywall. The shadows showed up as dark streaks when viewed from the hallway.

We did one window stepped back and took a look. Decided it wasn't going to work and ate about $100 worth of vinyl that I had precut for the job.

Client ended up having someone else put up dark window tinting film. It lets a little bit of the shadows show through but not much. I think the reflective mirror films are available from window tinting companies. The stuff is used on office building exteriors as a way to block heat and light from the sun. Kind of like sunglasses for buildings.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring them up here Karyn - we'll angel gild them suckers. [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s important what window film you decide to put on there, not just any film will work on insulated units. The wrong film will heat up the glass too much and blow the seal.
Typically, window film is installed on the inside of the glass not the outside. We have installed film on the outside for a situation much like yours where the glass had been covered over on the inside and the film has held up nicely. The film you would get at the auto parts store would not and would also blow the seal. All of the dark films we sell are not recommended for insulated units, it absorbs too much heat. You need a mirrored film that rejects heat.

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

thanks jen...i'll probably be giving you a call today. yeah i definitely wouldn't want to damage these windows...that would be a drag.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!