Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Repainting appliances

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Repainting appliances
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

I am curious if anyone here has repainted any kitchen appliances? What kind of paint? Surface prep? Did it hold up to normal usage?

We are asking because we are thinking of doing this and I want the straight poop on doing it. White and bisque just don't cut it for me... We are looking at getting some scratch and dent appliances and repainting them to match the decor of the kitchen.

Besides, some true fire flames on the stove would be hot and some icicles on the 'frig would be cool... (every pun intended). Hhahahahahahaha!

Dana says "Hi!" Toby says "woof".

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I`ve done a couple sets of appliances. Just used Automotive enamel and they held up fine. Even the stove lasted for years.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sold to 2 diff people for over 20yrs who obth refinished appliances and they both used acrylic enamel,dont use urethane or you will get an overly glossy finish,unless thats what youre out for.......reg appliance look use acrylic enamel. In addition,99% of the appliance touch up kits/bottles/cans you will find are going to be acrylic enamels

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing them repaint a fridge once on This Old House or some similar show.
They put some kind of wire onto the appliance to keep it magnetically charged so the paint only stuck to it and not everything else.
This had to be 10 years ago or longer, and I think they were actually painting the thing inside of the kitchen.
Sounds pretty hokey but I do remember it.
What color? Purple I bet! hahaha
Sounds cool...I am a hater of Harvest Gold and Avacado appliances!
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bruce, I just painted the top of a dryer that had scratches and a touch of rust. (My rental apartment) It really surprised me how good it looks, almost like brand new. I used Krylon spray enamel.
A fine sanding before painting.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flames & icicles??? You better post pics for us, Bruce!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Bruce,
I've done it with rattle can appliance paint and you couldn't tell it wasn't a factory applied finish. The only prep was a good wipe down to insure the surface was clean. Back then, I used Windex, but I'm sure just about any cleaner, like Rapid Prep, would work.
I've also used Krylon on many similar surfaces and had great results too. Just don't try to use a paint mask with it though.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used base/clear with the best results, however, last week I did a couple in my kitchen with one shot sprayed thru my airbrush! Looks great!

Bobby

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can purchase appliance paint in a rattle can.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a wrap.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail & Dave Beattie
Visitor
Member # 572

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gail & Dave Beattie   Author's Homepage   Email Gail & Dave Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have always treated em like you do a vehicle

1/normal sand & prep
2/then paint whatever ya like
3/clear with what ever level of gloss you want
(2pac works for me cause it's easy to keep clean)

pic is of our old drinks fridge
 -

cheers
gail

--------------------
Gail & Dave
Hervey Bay
Qld Australia

gail@roadwarriorproducts.com.au

sumtimes ya just gota!

Posts: 794 | From: 552 O'Regans Creek Rd Toogoom Qld 4655 Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
basic single colored appliances.....ACRYLIC ENAMEL AUTOMOTIVE PAINT, you can add a hardener/catalyst to it but you will need a well ventalated area and good air mask. as for rattle cans, NAPA(martin-senour/sherwin-wiliams)used to sell the AVACADO, ALOMOND,COPPERTONE 2 tone paints in cans. was good for a touch up but not for overall painting.
with the A/E auot paint/hardner you now have a base to paint with anyother type paint you want be it airbrush paint, one shot or more a/e auto paint.
i was outside sales for NAPA store i worke at and every body shop.....had the neatest painted fridges.....i remember when heavy metal flake was the thing.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rene st-pierre
Visitor
Member # 4116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rene st-pierre   Email rene st-pierre       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have made this work paint fridg
whit epoxy peint look same as new fridg
c-ya

--------------------
rene st pierre
quebec city
canada

red & white 81 forever 666

Posts: 290 | From: quebec city | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!