Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » It ain't the bow.......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It ain't the bow.......
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan and Ray and their routers made me think of something.

My neighbor bought a $900 compound bow. He had tried for years with a much cheaper bow with no success...no deer. He loaned the cheap bow to my 15 year-old son. He has so far killed three deer with it and two of them were in one season. The neighbor has yet to get one with the new high tech bow.

My two sons just bought new bows off the clearance aisle at Walmart for $100 apiece. They practiced a couple of weeks then took their bows to a 3-D archery tournament. While they were waiting for the match, some of the guys were bragging about their fancy, high-tech compound bows when one guy says: "I thank it's jus' a shame an' disgrace to buy one o' them cheap bows at Walmart".

Out of 35 guys, my oldest son came back with the 2nd place trophy in the adult division and the youngest brought home with the first place in the kids'.

The bow's only as good as the Indian. [Smile]

[ September 21, 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great Wayne. Just stand back and be proud of your boys.Way to stick'em.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just amazing what some practice'll do!
Great on them!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COOL! More archers! My bow is tweaked and so am I! I'll be in the woods Saturday!
Happy Hunting!!!
[Big Grin]

[ September 21, 2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Robert Salyers ]

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since its archery time Wayne
how about a picture of me n you...
in a loin cloth?????
pretty scary ..huh????

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bill and Catherine!

Hey Robert,
I bought one of the "cheap walmart bows" too. So all three of us have the same bow. Pretty nice bow for the money.

I put a whisker biscuit on mine. Those are nice if you have to shoot straight down out of your treestand.

Mikey
Don't give Old Paint any ideas.

[ September 21, 2006, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wiskerbiskuits are good. Some say they are rough on the fletchings but they are not. Real feathers, maybe.
Stands are set!
 -

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, remember that cheaper tools are better the next time somebody wants to know why their Shine-Rite vinyl failed, their Bobcat plotter won't cut straight, their cheap paint store enamel isn't lasting, and Mexican labor is putting them out of business.

[Wink]

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Pat...chill bro....I don't want to start no war! [Eek!]

FYI.....I use an Ioline plotter, Arlon HP vinyl, Oneshot and Sherwin Williams paints.
And I use expensive American labor......

All my shop tools are Porter Cable, except the Two Milwaukees and a Dewalt.

I was just bragging on my boys.
But the most expensive gadget in the world don't make you an expert. It's skill and practice.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that, Brother Wayne, & them boys of yours sure have been raised good & taught well too!

Michael...loin clothes? Oh my, you are a hoot!

Hey, who's that little indian behind that jeep? [Smile]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got your point and agreed with it. I was just rattling your cage. The most expensive set of lettering brushes in the world is not going to make me letter better than Pierre Tardiff using a broken stick, drunk, in the dark.

Congratulations on your kids, too.

[ September 21, 2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Whatley ]

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbie Rochow:
Amen to that, Brother Wayne, & them boys of yours sure have been raised good & taught well too!

Michael...loin clothes? Oh my, you are a hoot!

Hey, who's that little indian behind that jeep? [Smile]

Thanks Bobbie!

I bet that little Indian's gonna be sittin' up in one of them stands...whatcha think?

I recognize that terrain Robert. I used to live by the Withlacoochee River near Dade City. Lots of palmettos and sand.

Thanks Pat!

[ September 21, 2006, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news with your boys! Its kinda fun to see someone with less expensive equipment beat out someone with a bigger gun...

quote:
But the most expensive gadget in the world don't make you an expert. It's skill and practice.

I agree with that statement. But give the high quality tools to someone with the passion and skill to do outstanding work and they will amaze ya much faster than the folks with a slower less powerful version!

Raymond's little router will probably do pretty much anything my much more epensive toy will... ultimately its about the file (plus the exoerience and the creative mind which created it) that is sent to either machine. I have no doubt Raymond's passion for this craft is no less than mine either. For both if us it is all about finding out just what is possible... and a little fun along the way. Bring on ROUTER WARS II! [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Raymond's little router will probably do pretty much anything my much more epensive toy will"

Well, there you go folks...Dan just admitted that his router is no better than mine - just cost over three times as much. Of course, his MultiCam has a lot of bells and whistles that my ShopBot doesn't.

"little router" - I like that Dan! Sorry, that expensive router didn't help your spelling (or typing) any.

Thanks for comparing my passion to yours, Dan. To be honest, I think you are way out ahead of us all.

Tools are just that - tools. They have no value when left alone. In the hands of a skilled craftsman they become precious. Like Dan said, the better tool will make some more productive but it will never replace the creativity inside the user.

More and more, I find folks coming to my workshops trying to find the perfect software or machine that will make them great designers. It's in the heart, folks. One of the recent critiques of my design seminar was "I thought you were going to tell us how to make more money". Well, I did...you do better designs and you will make more money.

There is no magic key.

End of sermon.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

quote:
I agree with that statement. But give the high quality tools to someone with the passion and skill to do outstanding work and they will amaze ya much faster than the folks with a slower less powerful version!
I know you have both the passion and the skill, Dan. You deserve a top notch machine.
So does Ray.

quote:
Tools are just that - tools. They have no value when left alone. In the hands of a skilled craftsman they become precious.
Well put Ray

My 14 year-old son was drooling over a $9000 Gibson "signature model" mandolin in a music store. He picked on it awhile and then I picked out a couple of tunes on it and I'll be honest...It didn't SOUND any better than my $750 Morgan Monroe, and the craftsmanship and materials looked to be about the same.

Mine has a curly maple body, a solid carved spruce top, a quilted maple back, gold plated tuners, a solid ebony bridge, ebony fingerboard with "tree of life" inlays, a dove-tailed neck joint etc. It has sweet, loud tone projection and excellent sustain and it notes easily. In fact, my Morgan Monroe is even MUCH prettier and it sounds so sweet!
But there are folks with high-dollar Gibson mandolins who will never pick one as good as my son can. Maybe my son will be able to afford one one day. Ricky Scaggs plays a $250,000 mandolin I'm told. [I Don t Know]

But then again, I'm sure the more expensive router is heavier duty, faster, and perhaps more durable. But you have to start somewhere. I'm hoping to get a ShopBot as soon as my shop building is paid off. Then Dan will be fighting his war on two fronts. ;

[ September 22, 2006, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always agreed w/theory that good tools make the craftsman...I'm evidence of that, in more ways than one.
Years ago(27), I got the bluegrass bug and have be smitten since, to point: when first starting, the number one chore was to find a banjo for sale, easy, plenty of them around....I picked a cheap little thing and a banjo playing friend with me, made me put it back on shelve and purchase the only gibson there, a rb-250 mastertone, still have it...
Reason for his insistance was that as I learn, I'm not only learning the physical side of it, I'm learning the sound of the notes, properly played...if learned on an inferior banjo, I'd have to re-learn the sound of those notes at some juncture down the road, a unnecessary step if learned on a good note producing banjo to begin with, sorta like two birds w/one stone, heheh....
After all these years, I can't believe I'm still a rank beginner, lol....greatest goal of mine these days is to somehow get the time to dedicate 3-4 hours daily to picking and better yet, w/other pickers!!! Smokey Mtn. smoke must be in my eyes!!!(Wayne will known reference-heheh)
[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I go to buy tools I ALWAYS buy the very best ones I can afford. With the proper care most quality tools will last a long long while and pay for themselves many times over. While the tool doesn't make the craftsman, an inferior tool will keep one from doing their best - especially at the top end of the scale... no matter what the game.

Poor tools which don't work as they should WILL make a job more frustrating and also more tedious. Top end tools (or instruments) will stay in tune and make the final product much better.

A case in point.... a crappy, cheap brush in the hands of a master sign painter will still produce a satisfactory letter with some effort. The master craftsman won't enjoy the experience much however and the lack of a good tool (or the frustration) could limit the amount of creativity exercised. But give this same craftsman an expensive brush which is top end and designed for the job at hand and they will make it sing... seemingly without effort.

In the hands of a hack it doesn't make much difference which brush they use.

-grampa dan

[ September 22, 2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn.. that why I bought all my Sign Brushes at Walmart.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!