Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Search engine optimization??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Search engine optimization??
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you. I don't even know where to start. I have read a little about meta tags but what else can I do.

thanks

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a feeling there were threads about this here, some years ago, so do a letterville search, or failing that, a google search- you'll get millions of answers.

The 'rules' change over time though, as the engines try to do a better job, and the webmasters try to outsmart the new engines, but the old guidelines still hold true.

Transparent gifs on the homepage with metatags embedded used to be a trick, but after they were overused, engines were reprogrammed to work against you for doing that, as far as I know.

In a supershort nutshell, make sure your photos all have appropriate names with the right searchable words, and alternate descriptions, again using appropriate words, and ensure your website had the right words you'd expect to be found under, in it.

Now the experts can chip in- but a google search will get you more replies than you need for free, or you can pay an expert to do it for you- it just depends on you.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the market you are after is in your town then start telling people where your site is. Put it on your business cards put it on your vehicle etc.
I would say a lot of people use Google you can pay google to get your site up in the searches. Another thing is always make regular updates don't just make a web site and forget it.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Steve thats exactly what I've done, made a website and forgot it but never the less it has always been on the top of everyones list of those who wanted to learn that particular trade.

When making a website you must list every word which partakes the meaning of exactly what you do, does that make sense? That will make it alot easier to find.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, keywording of the site content will get it picked up in search engines, just don't overdo it by repeating the same words over and over and over otherwise the search spyders will think you're spamming them and your site will get blacklisted.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a particular interest in SEO and have done a fair amount of reading on the subject. By far, this is one of the most comprehensive and comprehensible "How-To" articles I've ever read.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey that is great that you are having success with your site using the build once and forget method, but I do think if you put more effort into making additions and regular updates you should get additional interest. I am not suggesting that you do a ton of work daily on your site but some of these search engines look at sites that are active and rank them higher.

Joey I Googled your site and as far as I can tell you do not show up. What search words do you suggest that a person use to find you?

Blake looks like you have a great tool on your site being the Blog it is easy to get into making regular posts and that alone should help your site ranking go up allthough I am not sure if you are leaving your site too goto the BLOG?

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, there are only so many pinstripers in this world and like their mentors the information given is also in relation to my old site. I'm not here for a personality contest but to update a site like mine would mean to update the materials used which I have no control over. My site is geared for pinstripers or those whose quest includes pinstriping and you can be assured that although my site may have fallen since 1996 when it was on top of the google search engines it is still there and available but I have so many irons in the fire at this time of my life that the site only gets updated when theres something that really catches my attention.

To prove a point, just ask any striper if they have ever been to my site, if they have learned anything and have they bookmarked it for future references. if they haven't all I can say is oh well. have a nice day [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blog is on my website. PHPBB is free and cool!!

It is usually included when you set up a site, but if it isn't, I have a copy I can email to you. Like I said it is shareware.

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy W. Robarge
Visitor
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy W. Robarge   Author's Homepage   Email Randy W. Robarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One site I have bookmarked is:

http://www.selfpromotion.com

I've referenced it a few times.

--------------------
Randy
Graphic Details
Promotional Merchandise Distributor
South Glens Falls, NY

Posts: 381 | From: South Glens Falls, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!