Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lil Propane Torch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lil Propane Torch
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I was just a wonderin', can a lil propane torch be used to manlipulate vinyl. Many times I wind up outside, far away from an electrical outlet (holes).

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a little Butane torch for those instances where there is no power available. It's pretty small and will sit upright. It's also self igniting.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used a propane torch many times in that situation. With a little practice, it works just as good as a heat gun. Make sure you have the self igniting feature George mentioned, and be extra careful where you set it down.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4352 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use little lighters.. they are like a tiny blow torch and are perfect for that..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just take care, as Duncan says.

Kick it over accidentally, it rolls under a vehicle...KABOOM!

Or WORSE...you could singe your hair! [Smile]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, many of the people I talk to who do a lot of big semi work, or wraps, say a torch is better than a heat gun. But I'd have to say it could be a learning experience. It could do a lot of irreparable damage very quickly.

Like George said, use the self-igniting one that shuts off automatically when you let go of the button. I've been burned more times than I care to admit on one of those damn invisible flames.

You might want to do a search....surely there is someone on this board who does this kind of work and has shared information about the do's and don'ts of 'torchmanship'. Good luck.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, what's dat smell? Smells like, like,,,ahhh it's my hair!!!!AHHHHH!!!! And then she flings the propane touch at the Catapilar engine and KABOOM!!!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have one of those small butane torches..works great when I need it for something..never thought of using it for vinyl apps..but now that I AM thinking of it...

I watched Rob Ivers do a demo last year..he used a torch..but it had the "fan" attachment on it.

Wonder if there is a fan attachment for the small ones??

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8880 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a torch almost exclusively for vinyl.
Its a more concentrated heat and much hotter than a heat gun which makes it ideal for rivets.
The concentrated heat softens the vinyl quickly
without heating the rivets so much which allows
it to cool faster and stay conformed to the shape.
You must always keep the flame moving or it will
damage vinyl ....really quickly.
A torch is much handier for large truck work
because there are no cords to worry about.Cords
can get real filthy in truck shops and are
always a pain to drag around..
KEEP ER MOVIN!
And dont forget.....keep the torch moving!!

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my torch quite a bit also, and hardly ever use the heat gun anymore.

Self igniters are available that DO NOT shut off when the button is released. Be sure that you get one that WILL shut off automatically.

I use a carpenters apron to hold my application tools. I can use the torch with one hand, then just drop it back in the large pocket of the apron.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2277 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Bohrer
Visitor
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Bohrer   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Bohrer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 10 years ago as I was driving I noticed a Guy at the Phone Company remarking all the vans, Frontier had bought them out. He was an installer traveling the state doing all the trucks. He was taking off the old graphics with a propane weed burner, I thought he was nuts, but he said he just keep the flame turned low and never stopped moving, he quickly heated up stripes and logos and had the side of the van clean in no time.
I have never been brave enough to use a weed burner
but I use a portable camping heater that runs on a small propane bottle so you can hold it in you hand
their is no direct flame but the gas burns in a screen and generates a lot of heat.
I also use a propane Mr. Heater to do truck doors outside when its below freezing have done one at 15 below zero. I stand the heater on a ladder and direct it at the door, within minutes the door is toasty and ready for vinyl.

--------------------
Silver Creek Signworks
Dick Bohrer
Two Harbors, MN

Posts: 236 | From: Two Harbors, MN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Sanborn
Visitor
Member # 6772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Sanborn   Email Frank Sanborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a propane torch for vinyl all the time. I refer to it as my "cordless heat gun".

I did a job several years ago that involved re-marking a fleet of vans all at once (the company had been sold and changed names - 38 vans and trucks in 4 days!). I was at the customer's location and had been using my torch to heat the vinyl on the doors and it was going well.

Apparently one of the employees saw me and decided to grab his propane torch and "help me out" by stripping the old decals off his van, which led to a spot of blistered paint on the door.

I asked him to make sure his manager knew that it wasn't me that burned the paint off his door...

--------------------
Frank Sanborn
Sanborn Signcrafters
Charlotte, Michigan

Posts: 10 | From: Charlotte, MI | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use one too. it is a small self-standing model that I bought at Home Depot, although I buy my Butane at Walgreens(carry a spare). This is a great little tool. It can get hot at the tip and the advise as above to "keep it movin" is very sound. It may take a little while to get use to handling it, but is well worth the effort.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of these handy lil buggers!
 -
Lenk manufactured a small, unique torch that had two tanks, about .75 inch in diameter and about five inches long. The miniature of miniatures. On one tank there is the orifice head with a small wick. On the other, there was a rather large wick at the top of it. This wick is huge compared to the wick in a quart tank! It has a much different purpose in the miniature than it has in the quart blow torch. In this miniature, there is no baffle, so there is no way to self sustain the flame. The wick is positioned such that it is directly under the orifice head and it is then lit on fire. The heat produced by the burning wick heats up the orifice head and also conducts down to the tank, heating it up as well. This heating effect causes the fuel to expand which causes a buildup of pressure, thus causing evaporated fuel to escape from the orifice head. The escaping fuel has considerable velocity. Obviously, this escaping fuel will catch on fire in the presence of the burning wick. You must realize that the wick must remain burning for the torch to burn.

The wick is creating the pressure that causes the fuel to escape as well as the heat to keep the torch nurning. The problems with this style miniature are few. Either the orifice gets plugged up or the wick INSIDE the orifice tube deteriorates and rots. A pipe cleaner is an ideal wick for this torch. When removing the old wick, it is common for the old wick to break off inside the orifice head! Fortunately, the orifice head screws off of the orifice tube, thus simplifying the removal of the obstruction.

http://www.blotorches.com/miniatur.html

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!