Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A post on the Potfolio table inspired me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A post on the Potfolio table inspired me
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you price window splashes...

I loved window splashes before I became "too busy" to do them. I was the only hand letterer & as the owner with "the bigger picture" in mind, I let them go.

My shop of 16-17 years & beautiful 8000 sq. ft. building in downtown St. Cloud, Mn is for sale as some of you know. So i will be exiting St. Cloud.

My plan is to get back to the window splash days & have no idea what to charge.

Please help out! [Cool]

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pierre help the fellow out. [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Window splashes is one of the many products available at my sign shop ( check my web site )... They are fun to sketch out, fun to design....and the best part, I get to NOT do them !

You send Pierre Tardif the ready to work vector file and within a business week, it's at your door step, hand painted on TYVEK with 2-way tape ready to install, no mess, no inventory, no problems. Best value for the buck out there, and better quality than most of us can pull out, yea yea most of us as Letterheads...

Check out www.ptardif.com

Sometimes the best way to do something is to not do it at all !

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and my pricing guide is over 10 years old!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micheal, get whatever you can.
I go to the location and price on many factors.
Height is very important. Are you going to need a lift of some sort? Or can you do it off a ladder?.
Next will be illustration, will the artwork be complex and difficult to produce or will it be a knockout type job?
Next thing to identify is what type of customer you are dealing with. Is this a mom and pop shop who is looking to get some attention to a struggling biz or is this a car dealership that spends $40,000 a month advertising?
I tend to hang around the guys with a budget simply because they #1 have the money, #2 it's not their money and #3 it's their JOB to spend the money advertising so it makes my Job 100% easier.
I don't use a pricing guide because not every job is the same for those reasons i listed.
The way I figure it a good day for me consists of $250 in my pocket, a better day is 4 to $500 bux. An excellent day is around 7 to 800 and about as good as it gets at least for me is $1000 to $1200 dollars in a day but those days are few and far between.
Thats me, and I do window splashes a lot and have developed a system to do them fast.
I hope that helps.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michael,
The approach that works best for me is. I ask
"Do they have a budget for the job?"
Most people say "Ahhh, no not really."
Then I give them the highest possible price for the window splash, explaining it will have illustations, blends, drop shadows, all the bells and whistles etc etc....
Sometimes, they say ok or they usually say ohh thats a bit more than I wanted to spend, I keep working my way down until they are a price that they are happy with. But I never sell myself short, NOW, I have been know to in the past. In my area there are only a few guys that do window splashes so a can charge a little bit more... Besides they are awsome fun out in the sunshine, headphones on being creative!!
Thats my 2 cents.

Cheers, good luck with it!

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Posts: 43 | From: St Marys NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, definately creating a mental picture or even a quick digital printed with graphics layout
will help in getting more money for the job. If it's a big job I usually sell it the same way I sell a sign with a couple of designs starting at high, medium and Low and outlining the difference between them. A picture says a thousand words. It's a bit of work, but that's what it takes.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

Very helpful!

I'll check out Pierre.

The actual design & lettering is what I'll be doing as I did 6-8 years ago.

Sorry to create a double head banger for ya Randy..?

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
simple sq ft pricing is youre best shot.
NEVER EVER GO LESS THEN $3 A SQ FT, and that would be for large sq ft jobs over 100 sq ft.
$4 sq ft for most non art work and windows under 100 sq ft to 50 sq ft. smaller windows then 50 sq ft you need to get $5-8 sq ft. art work adds more per dollar. but window splashes dont happen here in pcola......i see some new guy doin car windshields but when i was doin them i wouldnt do less then 10 and @ $3-4 each. now those you dont spend anymore then 5 min on a windshield.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

I get between $5 and $7 a windshield. I usually tell them I have a minimum of 20 cars so I can at least squeeze $100 out of em'.

If they give me at least 20 and are painting directly on the windshield I charge them $5.

If they give me at least 20 and are painting on
a clear plastic vinyl that I use I charge $6

and if they give me less than 20 I charge them
either 6 or 7 depending if it's on the vinyl or not.

I've charged up to $10 a car (because somebody wanted me to paint cars and it was 2 hr. ride for me so I charged him 10 bux a car. nice....

OP, charge at least $5 for a car that's the
going rate now, at least.

btw, the car dealers love the removable vinyl because of it's ease.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!