Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Digital Printers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Printers?
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been thinking hard of leasing a digital printer, but worry about getting enough work to justify having one.
One of my competitors, who constantly drives prices down, is also in the market, and that adds to my worries about making the investment.
This is a small town, and getting enough business to make it is getting harder due to everyone getting plotters and setting up shop.
I know I could do alot more with one, but still hesitate to make that step.
Would some of you printer owners give me your thoughts on this?
Thanks

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheheheheee... if you have 72 virgins, I can find an Iraqui that will blow up his shop for you!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie Nicholson
Resident

Member # 6690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie Nicholson   Email Jamie Nicholson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am from a small town and it was hard for me to bite the bullet and get an edge, Especially the lease payments on an edge 7 years ago. but the production time and the new types of work you can do pays off. I am on my third edge and love it.

--------------------
Jamie Nicholson
Graphics 'n Signs by Trimline
Kenora, Ontario

Posts: 96 | From: Kenora, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John I have said it before, but I will say it again. If you buy a printer to do the work you "ALREADY" have, than you should be fine. If you are buying a machine in hopes of bringing in that kind of work then you are sunk from the start, unless you have the cash reserve to keep it paid for while you establsih the market.

When I bought my Edge i used it to do any job that had more than one color like an outline or a shadow. It was doing the work I already had more efficiently and profitably as well as opening up other markets that had not yet been establshed. But the main market of lettering and signs paid for that machine.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I decided whether I should get one or not based on how much I was subbing out. I found that what I was paying my supplier a month would quite easily pay for the lease. I have also found that the printer DOES bring in a LOT of new work. Just as soon as clients see it in the shop they get new ideas of what THEY need. And then they tell someone-who tells someone and so on and so on.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John D.....My town is 3500 folks, and my digital printer is working more days than not.

This business of subbing out work till you can justify getting one works for some, but the plain fact is that when you actually have one, you find markets for it that you didn't think of before, and couldn't practically do "subbing" it out.

Small decals for hardhats and stuff
T-shirt and cap transfers (the hats in particular can be REALLY profitable)
Enhancing what you already do
Anything more than two colors is more EXPENSIVE in material, time and effort to do conventionally as opposed to digitally.

Just a few thoughts...but I love mine, and it definitely turns a profit.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey John,
IMHO, you have a lot of talent and you should focus more on the design and less on the production.
Do like Barry said and outsource it until you're doing the $2K+ per month in sales to justify the expense.
When you have the sales, you do like Bob said. Fit it into your routine and figure out how to incorporate it into more of the work you already do. I think you'll be surprised how much work you can print.
I would lean towards an Edge. The current inkjet market is saturated already and I feel the Edge would work better for you. You can always outsource your prints to your competition [Smile]

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a 36" encad.
The work came .. THen I needed a bigger so I got a 60" encad. The work came.

I moved to the great white north,, Im getting some print work here too. I just did a load of yard signs for a golf tourney. The print work is comming. The printer allowed me to get full color work I only dreamed about before.

Get a big one. Nothing less that 5o" That way you can do 4ft full color banners with one lick.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,
I agree with Curtis about getting a bigger machine if you can. I got the 30' Roland Versacam 2 years ago and now looking at upgrading to the 54" machine. My payments were only $300. each month. One maybe two jobs makes the payment each month and we use it just about every day.
Making some of your usual work faster by not having to layer vinyl is definitely a big plus.
Combining digital and vinyl is an upsell on banners or other signs. Just the added full-color graphic makes normal signs stand out. You could use your toons on a truck or sign from your digital printer and letter the rest in solid vinyl or paint. I can see a printer being a valuable tool for you. I just wished I had gotten the bigger one first. This one is just about paid off! Good Luck in your decision.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,,,,the stuff you can do....dimensional, airbrushed looking stuff that you can replicate time after time is amazing.

You have the talent....a digital printer will enhance that talent...and like Bob R. said, if you have a decent customer base now...you can transition them into even hotter, more lucrative stuff with a digital printer.
You can get into one of the smaller, slower units....which will still give you brilliant results and not break your budget....

When I saw your post, I thought instantly, "John Deaton and a digital printer? It's a natural."

Good luck on your decision John. [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

I agree with Bob Rochon on this.

My suggestion is to look at the work you are already doing. Is it stuff that you could have done with a digital printer? If so, was it enough to justify the monthly payment?

The other thing to look at is on getting the right machine for your market. For myself, I have plenty of work that is perfect for my Edge but not nearly enough to justify a wide-format inkjet printer. After doing a thorough research, you may find that a WFIP be the better choice.

Another thing to keep in mind are the peripherals required for a WFIP such as a laminator, the laminate, what ink to use and what materials to stock.

I strongly suggest going to a trade show and become more familiar with what is available.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
We held off for a long time before getting a Versacamm. I was told by many that if I leased a 30" I would be sorry. So we got the 54" SP540V.

It is a stand alone cutter/plotter or a stand alone printer or it can print, then go back and cut a contour.

There are others printers out there that do the same. I really love the Versacamm. We still have the Gerber Edge hooked up and try NOT TO USE IT.

We felt it was time to move on, and up.

As for work...if you have it, it will stay busy because you will make it stay busy. New markets you haven't even tackled yet await you.

And if you are thinking of keeping it busy in your community only...you are not thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We Himmed and Hawwed over buying our Versacamm for over a year. I agree with what Bob Said.
At first it just made our Life easier and saved me from having to Hire help. I can say after a month or so the machine really Paid for itself in a couple of months.
I would never design for prints as out-sourcing was to much of a hassle. Now the printer it is running everyday. We usually go through 2 rolls of media a week. "4 rolls this week"
At the time I could not swing getting a 54 so we ended up with the 30" But am seriously considering the 54 in the spring or possibly a 60 UV flatbed.
For us it really expanded our Capabilities. Now we do so many other things with the machine that you really wouldn't think of.. Suprisingly one thing that really took of was the Digital Wallpaper. We have one account (A sports Bar) that changes his walls as the sport seasons change. Just changed to football. And we really haven't even really marketed it yet. Just word of Mouth.
Its just a tool and John your creative enough to surly make it work.
As for laminating we just use Frog juice on the smaller prints (Vehicles and the such) and Clearstar for larger stuff

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, lots of good info, & I will keep mine short & sweet.

Go BIG & don't look back!!

Research is a great thing, but get it today & it could open up new markets that guarantee it's paying for itself in less time then you could spend doing research.

Bill, what media are you using for "wallpaper"?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ultraflexx.com/wallscape_suede.htm

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice and insights.
I expecially agree your work would be be faster, more versatile. With your superior abilities your product is going to knock the socks off your competition's.
If your competition is in the market, your decision in essence is made, as I see it.

Put small decals with your name and number on stuff that's a little different and that you're proud of, and the quality and originality will make people notice and you'll get calls.
One such decal, this week, brought me two large profitable banners.

I was very nervous when I got my Edge. I simply integrated it into everyday production, and my abilities exponentially increased as I learned more about what it could do.

Now I'm on my second Edge.
I have bought them used. I got the second because I was worried about replacement parts and lack of service contracts for the original Trunnion, and I sold it to a person starting out with digital printing who said he was mechanical and could do a lot himself.
It was still running great. A used Edge - with a history check by serial number - is a good deal. They are like the 4Bs, they run and run like tanks. You may need a new printhead down the road, by the time you do you can afford it.

With the additional things that will fall into your lap that you'll be able to do very easily and simply, such as bumperstickers, decals of any sort, wonderfully laid out and digitally printed 12 x 24 pieces to slap on magnetic sheeting.... on and on... your life will change and you will never look back.

If I were not close to hanging it all up and retire to paint pictures, I would buy a Versacamm, probably. Now I sub out large stuff, but I fully know in the same way I integrated an Edge into my life, I could make the bigger machine pay for itself.

Ask Dave Draper if he wants to sell you his Edge, if that's where you're leaning.
I personally buy lots of my foils on Ebay. Never a problem.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!