Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » QUICK POUNCE WHEEL QUESTION...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QUICK POUNCE WHEEL QUESTION...
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never used a pounce wheel before, always just made a pattern, then used Saral paper to transfer it. I can see where it would take less time to use a wheel, tho, just never tried it. I do not have a pounce wheel. Can I use a sewing dart wheel? I know the holes may not be as close together.

I do have some charcoal pounce powder someone gave me a while back. Can I stick this stuff in a sock to pounce it?

Ok, I guess if someone could give me a simple how-to, using only my dart wheel & a sock with some pounce powder, I guess it will help! Lol! Sorry! [I Don t Know] I do not have time to order anything, the truck comes tonite & will be lettered tomorrow.

If you guys help, I promise I will post a pic of this big project. [Smile] For me, this is BIG!

Guess that wasn't so quick of a question, huh? [Smile]

[ August 30, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Rochow ]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie
I have used one of those wheels for years and found it better for most work. I filed the spikes to suit the work and I always pounce in reverse, that way the little spikes of paper catch the powder nicely. if you are doing multiple jobs using the same pattern then I would sand the spikes of paper using a 180grit paper.

If you are using a sock you might want to double or triple up the layers as you could find too much powder coming out. As a pounce bag I used discarded nylon sockings that my wife has thrown out. layered up a few times they hold the powder well for me.

Works for me.

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Bobbie,
Yes you can, but you're going back to the age of Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel!
Check out your local art supply or click here...
http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/11/
They're fairly cheap and easy to use. The only thing I would suggest is sanding the pattern a little after you pounce to open the holes and allow the charcoal to flow through better.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Miles!!! Got some old nylons in my drawer!

Lol! Checkers! That is funny! I have been putting off buying a pounce kit for too long, & now it has come back to bite me in the butt!

I already drew the pattern out with my plotter. I will be using the pattern 2 times, one for each side of the truck.

I always thought for some reason that I would wipe off the charcoal as I painted, therefore I always used my transfer paper. But I use a mahl stick now to keep my arms out of my wet paint. This should work.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just gave Ernest my pounce wheel.
Time to order another one from N Glantz (or a Letterville Merchant)
I usually pounce with my plotter.
But if you are trying to pounce a pattern, you want a pounce wheel as the wheel itself has a much tighter turning radius than the sewing kind.
Put a piece of cardboard under your pattern, run the wheel over your lines. Then flip over and sand the back.
Use a small sock or a circle cut from t-shirt material. Add a cotton ball and some graphite powder or pounce chalk. Fasten with a gumband or masking tape.
You'll eventually learn to put just the right amount of powder down.
Miles does have a point about the backwards idea. I always plotter-pounce backwards.
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, when you go to pen plot, whether front or reversed, watch the letterspacing. Some programs---which I will leave un-named---have a bad habit of spacing poorly. Some letters are too close together, and some are spaced far enough apart to throw a dead cat through. "AWA" or "ATA" next to each other are good examples of "too wide."

It isn't always easy to see this when setting up the proggy before making either the letters or the pattern.

FWIW.

bill preston

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, I used to use an old tshirt type pounce pad, until I dicoverd Hansee Pads, years ago.

http://www.pacificcoastsignsupply.com/catalog/pg_75.htm

I have one in white and one in black....and DON'T get powder all over myself anymore.

Just my 2¢ worth!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill I know what you mean about the radius of the wheel & the points. I will have to get me a pounce wheel. I think my plotter might do it, but I never checked it out!

Bill, my Signlab program does that, messes up with the kerning, depends on what font I am using.

Si, the charcoal I have is Hansee. I guess I know now where to go to get me set up!

WHOAAA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can use a regular pounce bag and avoid the mess by placing the pounce bag in a Ziplock bag backwards, in other works with the loose end towards the bottom. Grap the loose end through the bag, fold the bag down over your hand, pounce away. When done, fold the Ziplock back up over the pounce bag and shut it. It's tored away safely for the next time and your hand are mess free.
I forget where I picked up that trick on here or in SignCraft but it sure works great [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah Bobbie... I have a variety of wheels and only one or two are actual pounce wheels! heh I think the others are sewing thingies. Got the white (talc) and black (charcoal) along with the colored chalks used in chalk lines. in that box!
Pounce away!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . and when-- people inquire as to HOW-in-the-WORLD you get all those little holes in that paper, tell them it takes HOURS with a straight pin and now they know why we charge so darn much!!

[Wink]

[Razz]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call your sign supplier...he'll deliver a pounce wheel in the morning!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My good friend Carlos Manrique Segovia (sign painter for Corona in Cancun Mexico makes all his pounce patterns by laying them out on plastic sheeting with a Sharpie then poking holes in it with a hot nail (one hole at a time) thats how he spends his evenings while you and I are watching t.v. It takes a long time sure...but the patterns are nearly indestructible & waterproof.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!