Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How much 'stand-out' you got?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much 'stand-out' you got?
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to compare tape measures. I have a Stanley Fat Max 25' footer that has around a 12' stand-out. It's about the favorite among our workers, I think. One of them tried to steal it from me, and I had to beat him with it. Almost killed him.

I have heard that stand-out is over-rated, other things such as a strong spring for smooth retraction, cushion grip, and a rugged durable casing are important to some folks...

What do you use?

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] Oh boy, this is going to be good.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one that is in my installation kit is a "house brand" Mastercraft tape measure from Canadian Tire.

It is pretty rugged with a 1" tape but the best feature is that it is encased in rubber. I took the belt clip off it so now when I am working on vehicles or vessels I can set it down on a nice shiney new surface and there is no danger of scratching.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 33' big-ass tape measure, very girthy.
But I prefer my 3-foot yardstick over that limp thing anyday.
It also doubles as a bum-beater.
love....jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jon...if your looking for a cool tape measure
then SignCraft has it.

-

CenterPoint Tape Measure

Here's a new tool that's so helpful we decided to offer it to our readers - an 8-meter "centering" tape. The top edge has metric tape measure markings. The bottom edge has a unique, center-finding scale. Measure the panel with the top scale, and then find the same measurement on the bottom. That's your center. It's the fastest way to find the center of almost anything!

#343 Price: $12.95
Also available in Metric #370 Price: $15.95
Order here

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is "stand out"? ...Is it like the ANGLE of the DANGLE?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barb, those are the greatest for sign people who always need to find the center. Thanks for the reminder, my list just got 3 of them on it.

I've been using the $5 lifetime guaranteed workforce 25' from ho-de. I've got 3 of them color coded with scrap vinyl. One for the van(orange), one for the shop(black), one for my office(blue).

I got one of those automatic ones from B&D because it was supposed to be able to run out its entire length without snapping and dropping, but it's just like a normal tape in that regard, about 8-9 feet, so it sits in a tool bag somewhere.

I should find it and take out the batteries so they don't ruin the connectors inside.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the same on Jon Jantz uses. I'm always having to measure things up high or in the wind. You can have my Stanley Fat Max when you pry my cold, dead fingers off it.

I also have some of the SignCraft centering tapes for mathematically challenged shop help.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's old school I guess, simple chrome jobby, easy to spot when you misplace it, or in the dark. Name has long since worn off, too much handling I guess.
Retraction has slowed somewhat over time, yet it still measures up like it was brand new.
Standout, when it was new, and happy to be out, it stood 11' straight up. Now, the exitement has worn off, to many times being left out extended and unattended, one too many attempts at pushing the 11' barier, permanent kinks have developed, and its lucky to achieve 5'.
Sometimes its reluctant to fully retract, it needs a gently nudging.
And being Canadian it goes both ways.... imperial and metric.

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use what ever I can get my hands on 2 left out of 4 left cause they break to easy so just glad I have a tape measure when needed, most use to measure here, is a 3 footer alum 2nd 4 footer alum. cause I can't get the plastic one's with level's no more which were great and miss them, just place on marked surface level draw line....THANK YOU & ENJOY LIFE

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The size of the tape is important, regardless of what some people say. You just can not reach some spots with a little 12 footer. Stiffness, or "stand out" as it is commonly called by ametuers, is a highly desirable trait. Phizer Pharmaceuticals, in partnership with Binford Tools, have come out with a great tape measure and it's the only ones allowed in my shop. I can pull out the entire 25' with absolutely no sag. Amazingly enough I've even driven nails with my tape - for demonstration purposes only. Here is the pic off their website:
 -

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky that one is in Metric!
How did you sneak it across the border?

-

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fat Max is all we use.

That's all I got to say about that. [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother in law carries a tape called the Big Johnson... NO, I'm not kidding, look 'em up on Ebay. He thinks it is the mac and is always bragging on the stand-out or as Ricky said 'stiffness' he is able to achieve.

-

Well, he came by today and we had a little stand-out competition. Needless to say, his Big Johnson could not hang.. no... um.. obtain the extension my Fat Max could. My tape was protruding a full 12' and he could barely maintain 9'.

He now has a severe case of Fat Max envy.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell the truth Ricky, you got that free with your hundredth prescription of the blue pills.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 57 year old one still stiffens to 12" but I don't use it as a rule.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i prefer the 25' LeverLock, it has all the 'stand out' I need and automaticly stays stiff as long as i need it too, no fumbling for the lock button in the heat of the moument.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup LeverLocks are the way to go.. but the tape is still flimsy 8 -9 ft max

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it when you are about to reach that critical moment of extension, it prematurly goes limp and hits the floor. It is the worst when you are trying to do it on a ladder and have an audience.

[ August 25, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Jerry VanHorn ]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine has a stand-out that is controlled by the "job" iam lookin at.......hehehehehehehehee

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen, I brought it across in my empty pistol case! [Smile] My college major was medical technology so I did study metrics in college.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!