Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Buying a Compressor, Any Tips?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying a Compressor, Any Tips?
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to buy a air compressor. Here are the details: 1.) It has to operate on 110. 2.) I plan on using it to operate a HVLP gun, air tools, and a Vortec cooler for my router table. 3.) I'd like to keep it under $600.00

I know NOTHING about these. What CFM @ what PSI would work best? What tank size would be best, to insure continuos operation for the above applications? What brand would you suggest? Do you know of a certain model that would work? I'm considering a Craftsman, mainly due to availability and cost.

[ August 19, 2006, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Tim Whitcher ]

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,

You will need a compressor with high CFM (cubic feet per minute) for a HVLP set up. Depends on the gun, but I seem to remember it'll need to be 8 cfm and upwards. The PSI isn't usually a problem, most HVLP guns run at 40psi or less. Big CFM usually means big compressor - both in size (large tank) and cost, though I think you should find something in your range. We use a Campbell-Hausfield which is ok, but we wish we'd bought one with a bigger tank.

Edited to say: You might want to look at a turbine system instead, unless you need a compressor for other duties.

[ August 19, 2006, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Graham Parsons ]

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 10 gallon 3.5HP and its 20 years old. This compressor has done well but I could use a larger tank.

If whatever you decide on PLEASE get on that requires oil. these are quieter and last longer than the ones that use no oil. I think a 5-8 HP and a 20 gallon tank would suffice but I use mine alot

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim;

Read the air requirements for all of the tools you are planning on using. Determine which has the greatest air supply requirement (CFM - probably the HVLP sprayer) and which requires the highest pressure (PSI - air tools). Buy a compressor that has a max pressure (PSI) greater than the highest tool requirement and at least twice (2X) the air supply (CFM). Most low priced air compressors are not designed to run on a 100% duty cycle (continiously) and if they are they will burn out very quickly.

I had a $350 CH 5hp contractor compressor that I was using and it fried in two weeks (my fault for abusing with continious use), I replaced it with a Gast ($1500) and 3 years later the Gast is still as good as new.

Guy

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think a compressor that fits those requirements exists.

In order to run continuously for any amount of time, you're going to need a 60 or 80 gallon tank at the least.

I haven't seen any compressors that size that run on 110v because at this level, the compressor pump has to output higher CFM to keep up which means a more powerful motor, which translates into running on higher voltage so the current draw can be kept down so it doesn't melt the circuits in the building.

Running a 110v compressor for these uses will work but you'll have to take breaks every few minutes otherwise the compressor pump will run continuously trying to keep up. Eventually the compressor will melt itself if allowed to run like that.

I have a Ciason's compressor with cast iron pump - that makes it run very quietly. The twin screw and diaphragm types are so loud they'll make you insane. When mine runs you can actually have a conversation in the same room at normal voice levels. It's 110v, 3HP, 10CFM, 20 gallon tank and it's just on the brink of tripping the 20AMP breaker. It was right about $500.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/bel6061v.html

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By continuos I mean that I'd like to run the Vortec cooler for up to a half an hour at a time without the motor actually having to run continuosly, as not to wear out the motor. Guess I wasn't too clear on that. Also would like to be able to spray paint for up to 15 minutes continually just off the tank. As for tools, being able to run a orbital sander and cut off saw would be sufficient. Thanks for all of your comments.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the CFM requirement of the Vortec cooler?

A half hour of air is a LOT of air unless the CFM and pressure requirements are very low.

Using an HVLP gun regulated at 40psi at the air inlet and rated for 10cfm, my 20 gallon tank filled to 125psi supplies less than 3 minutes of usable pressure.

A 60 gallon tank would be less than 7 minutes of air supply.

You're just going to be running the compressor to keep up with the airflow requirements.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

This is the cooler:
http://www.process-controls.com/Pelmar/SCS_Mini_Cold_Gun.html

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As they said, CFM... cubic feet per minute, is the key.
I have 2 stand up compressors connected together because the first CFM was too low.
Just because the compressor is big doesn't mean it's good.

The second compressor with a 30 gallon tank I believe, looked nearly the same but pumped much more air!

Lot's of good advice here.
Good luck!

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say you'll have to jump to 220V unless you want it portable. If that's the case , you're hooped. I have a Dayton, which is just a name on a god-knows-what compressor. It's a 6hp single stage and a 60 gallon tank. Those do go now for about $600, maybe a bit more. I've had mine for about 10 years and is works great for air tools, air blowers and of course the HVLP gun..In most cases, The compressor will catch up to heavy use, though it may take a bit longer to reach the 120 lbs pressure switch. With an HVLP gun, the 10 to 12 cfm the compressor pumps is plenty and replenishes the tank in no time.

(FYI, mine at least, when on, will automatically start up when the pressure drops to 80 psi and then turns off once the presuure reaches 120psi. Scares the beegeezuz out of you when working late, quietly.)

Whatever you do don't buy an oilless compressor..Crap!

Gerald

[ August 20, 2006, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Gerald Lauze' ]

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
FeatureWorx Creative Fabrication
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to work as an outside salesman for NAPA jobber stores.(would get manfacture reps come in and tell me all the skinny on how to sell compressors)
1. never buy a 110v unless its portability you need more then anything. 110v will use more power, create more heat and work twice as hard asa 220v.
2. if you need 20-30 CFM now....then you will be buying more compressor later...when you need 30-50 cfm.
3. cast iron oil filled single stage or 2 stage.....only real compressors. 2 stage is better then single, 2 pistons make more then 1.
wont wear out as quick, and longer life.
"A two-stage air compressor is normally used in industrial, commercial and automotive applications where a reliable source is critical. A two-stage air compressor compresses to a higher pressure than single stage air compressor. This allows the air compressor to store more air for future usage. The efficiency in a two-stage air compressor in much higher that in a single stage air compressor. A two-stage air compressor produces more cubic feet of air per horsepower that a single stage air compressor which results in lower operating costs. Also with a two-stage air compressor less heat is generated which reduces the wear and results in a longer life for you air compressor."
4. i have a 5 hp 220v single stage SEARS 25 gal tank that is close to 12-13 yrs old. ive sandblasted a baot trialer frame with it, painted a couple vehicles, and did all the paint on my 74 step van....sprayed panels, and i just bought a couple HVLP guns.....so now the compressor wont work as hard.
5. get a name brand if you want longeivity, cast iron comprssor, so you can rebuild it....or buy a $400 dollar no name aluminum and then you will buy another one in 4-5 yrs....for another $400.
so $800 now or $800 later....youre choice.
look here....give you an idea...
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_190_6&products_id=89

[ August 20, 2006, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joe pretty much hit the nail on the head. you can pay me now or you can pay me later, but if you dont buy what you really need now your going to bepaying for it in the long run.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can eat compressors quickly. I bought this one. It powers everything. Oil filled and quieter than a cheap piston compressor. You can't go wrong with this.
Find it at Home depot
HUSKY
5 Running Hp 26 Gal Vertical Compressor

Model VT6315

Price: $377.00/ea

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!