Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Are Ya Into Jazz....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are Ya Into Jazz....?
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so F***ing tired of the oncoming rap
of the day that I just wanted to dedicate MY
day to Jazz. A little Getz, some Bird, a spot o'
Garner, a taste of Miles, Ella, Billie.
Thowed myself into some MJQ, Monk and just to
find my footing layed down some Highway 61 and
a dab of Floyd as a nightcap.

Music...........!

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no other drug as good.......was eating at a restaurant the other nite, and its not a run of the place, its all vegitarian/vegan food, and all thru the meal they had bessie smith in the background.......

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jack .. yer speaking my language!

Got all of those on vinyl .... only problem is my player died [Frown]

One day I'll find somebody to cut them all onto cds for me. I do have enough of Benson, Franks and Oscar Peterson to make road trips tolerable. Vangelis and Enja fill in the gaps. [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love jazz.

Personally, I can never hear enough Pat Metheny Group.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a local jazz/blues station (GLT). NPR and Car Talk also featured on this station.

I enjoy a just about all types of music, even classical, but jazz is what sizzels at the top of the list.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jazz is right at the top along with blues for me.

My dad and I shared a drum set in the 60's and we both played with bands -- me rock and him jazz.

When he almost killed himself in a car accident when I was in high school, I had to take over his gigs. I played jazz every weekend for a few years and became a life long fan of the music. For a kid I always had money, too, because of it.

I'm like you, Crazy Jack, when I need a comfort zone I listen to folks like Monk, Miles, Ahmad Jamal, the Duke, Dave Brubeck, Dexter Gordon and even the great Louie Armstrong and Harry James along with all the other cats -- Coltrane and a host of newbies. I love those great singers like Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Ella, Etta, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and the great Tony Bennett. Aretha Franklin can poop out some good jazz, too.

Man it's so good to hear there's somebody out there that likes this great style music. I thought I was the only one.

When they had that PBS special on about it I was glued to the screen and requested the book on the series and got it for Christmas. I'm always in that book reading those stories. Way cool, daddy-o!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the old but progressive stuff like Vangelis and Kraftwerk but do listen to a jazz channel occasionally and the classic stuff feeds my mind.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget..Chris Conners,June Christy,
(Something Cool) Chet Baker, Hampton, Jimmy
Guthrie, Oscar Pterson ( saw him at the London
House,in Chicago)
And ya just can't count out Frank. Have many of
those sides.
I know there is a mes of new talent and listen
to it all daily on two stations. We have a big
blues following here and occasionally I offer
t-shirts with many blues artists on them to the
station.

It's hard to pick a favorite blues group but I
will say that Joe Bonamossa, has been kickin'
the doors down lately.

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listening to Flamenco Sketches right now.

Miles, Cannonball Adderly, Stanley Turrentine, Charlie Christian, Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Madeski Martin & Wood, Etta, Ella, Billie are all staples here.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coltrane, can't for get John Coltrane. Now I gotta listen to Giant Steps and get some sh!t done.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DON'T FORGET DJANGO!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

You know, for all my guitarishness, I don't know Django Reinhardt. I know more about the Maccaferri guitars he played than him or his music. I'm strange that way.

I want to and I will check him out, but I also have never seen Jaws, The Godfather, or Apocalypse Now. I just recently watched Citizen Kane. I like to save good stuff.

--------------------
Industrious

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since I saw Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in Chicago in the mid 70's I've been hooked. I just got "Sinatra at the Sands" w/Count Basie a while back. Been listening to that a lot. What a great live album!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, are you talking about the Ken Burns Jazz book? I just found it at the book store on sale and decided to get it. I agree... the stories are great, I couldn't put it down.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose Davidson
Visitor
Member # 6168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rose Davidson   Author's Homepage   Email Rose Davidson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a former life, I was a roadie for a local Blues band...So while I appreciate the Blues, I seek them out only when in the mood.

Most of the time it's Smooth Jazz...Artists like:
Joyce Cooling, Marc Antoine, Acoustic Alchemy, Brian Culbertson, Larry Carlton, Jeff Golub, Boney James, Dave Koz...

I personnally find it difficult to listen to the Jazz players that sound like they are getting paid by the note... Yet I love anything by Scott Joplin!

--------------------
Rose Davidson
Sleeper Woods Design
Honoring Tradition with Technology
Lakeport, CA 95435

Posts: 104 | From: Lake County, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Eartha Kitt,.(What a name,Huh?) Lena Horne,
Joe Williams........It's THE music,Man.
Many rythm & blues musicians started in jazz
and found bigger audiences in R&B.
Ray Charles, for one and everyone knows the
song "LOUIE LOUIE", that song was originally
written and recorded by Richard Berry, from
Seattle. He made a few other records but never
made the big time.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

It's just my opinion, but I think too many of these blues acts with the loud guitar players are sounding too much like rock bands. Anyone agree?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God for ITunes and the internet, I listen to jazz stations from all over the country. Just turn on the radio section of ITunes, and pick a station. Blues, Jazz, Easy listening...... AWESOME!

Bob C.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg DePauw
Visitor
Member # 6604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg DePauw   Author's Homepage   Email Greg DePauw       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with you Jack- Last night I went to a big BLUES concert on the NEW river front in East Peoria, Yes Jack, "East Peoria" has a very nice riverfront area now. Remember where that giant old CILCO building was with the GIANT neon "Ready-Kilowatt" sign on the East Peoria side? Well Jack that building is gone and that area is redeveloped with a nice river part area.
Anyhow last night was a great blues fest there. From 1:00 in tha after noon till 12:00 midnight.. Jack,it would have made you proud to see /hear it man.
Hey again Jack, thanks for your DONATION to the ART ROD FESTIVAL. I have to ask everyone again to follow Crazy Jacks leed and drop something PINSTRIPED or CQQL for our auction. It is coming up early in SEPT. See my address below? Send items there. BE GENEROUS Lets help some kids with quality ART supplies.
~Now, back to some Jazz / blues~

--------------------
Greg DePauw
Art Rod Foundation
206 S. Davenport
Metamora,IL. 61548
(309)-367-4496

Posts: 52 | From: Metamora, Illinois. USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Nugent
Visitor
Member # 3743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Nugent   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Nugent       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it!
Piano_Oscar Petereson, Art Tatum, Nat King Cole,
Sax_Lester Young
Clarinet_ Artie Shaw
Trumpet_Louie Armstrong
Guitar_Tony Matolla
Drums_Gene Krupa, Cozy Cole
Vibes_Lionel Hampton.
Fiddle_Stephan Grapelli
Voice_Billie Holiday_ Joe Williams

--------------------
Bob Nugent
Hotrodsonline.com
Gainesville, GA 30506
hotrod@hotrodsonline.com

Posts: 46 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack, you da man!!!!!!!!!!!Yu shore post some good things now.
If life is good enuf to count our blessings... a lot of you know I was married for many years to a jazz bass player. He also worked at Nielson's and grew up with the family (Cheap Trick's Rick).
My husband, Dave was extremely talented enough to play opposite of Count Basie at the Boca Raton hotel at a ball in 1979 or 80, and I was invited to attend.
Count Basie's wife, Katie and the Count are awesome dear folks and she was in the dressing room and I spent time with her. We had wonderful conversation as she made me feel so like a queen. She wanted me to get up and sing instead of my hubby's trio's singer, ha. I loved the night and got to dress in a 40's vintage gown and drink champagne, etc, but the best part was meeting the band behind stage. They used to tell me they all lived out of suitcases and didn't get good treatment from the places they played as they were in the "service" industry. We do have to realize that our beloved musicians do not get the respect they deserve for all the gifts and pleasure they bring into our lives.
After that a couple weeks later, my husband and I were treated to an Ella Fitzgerald concert at the awesome Sunrise Musical theatre in Sunrise, FL where I fell in love with satin doll music as Ella voice melted my soul, with Stan Getz band. We had special personal passes to the dressing room after the show also.
I love every type of jazz and blues, and still, I guess I don't know all of the musicians you named above, but, I am always wanting to learn. You see, I hate the rap when it is vulgar lyrics, but can tolerate some of the instrumentals and melodies to an extent, but that's a short rope there also.
Give me Chick Corea, Freddie Hubbard, Ella, Count, Stan the man, etc anyday, everyday, all day.
Please give yourself some time to try listening to jazz and have a little fun in life, kick back and see if you can find another part of your soul that you've suppressed all these years. There are many types of jazz too, so try a few.
It took me a while to become enthralled with the jazz music, but once I was taken through the journey, there was no going back, I think.
I hope you all take a chance on lovin and livin the jazzy way.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

There was Jazz at the Lighthouse with many
great west coast groups and I remember most of
all "Stan Kenton" a band that produced many
jazz artists and goin' to The Blackhawk Club on
Turk and Hyde, in San Francisco and Dantes'
Inferno off Market Street and during a time
before Cannery Row became a tourist trap, Jazz
was alive and well in Monterey.
Luckily we still have the festivals.

Deb, you are the Girl.......
I gotta call you some time.
E-mail me.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Great story Deb. A friend of mine owned a jazz club in California in the 50's and he's got some great stories.

That's marketing for you Brent. Blues got popular again, so of course rock bands with blues elements/influences are gonna ride that train.

I love how flexible music is, like Willie Nelson's jazz influenced country stuff. Listen to his guitar licks and vocal phrasing and timing. Bringing sophistication to us hillbillies.

--------------------
Industrious

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Campbell:

I love how flexible music is, like Willie Nelson's jazz influenced country stuff. Listen to his guitar licks and vocal phrasing and timing. Bringing sophistication to us hillbillies.

Dusty, Willie Nelson lists Django Reinhardt as a major influenece.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Brent, the Ken Burn's book that parallels the PBS series. Frigging outstanding!

I particularly like the story about Louie Armstrong receiving a trumpet from some white folks he worked for when he was a tott. His mom was a whore in the Storeyville section of New Orleans and these folks were eeking out an existence and the rest is history. They keep going back to Louie and the huge influence he had on others. He was the man and his music is absolutely timeless.

The music is filled with all these unique performers too. I mean there's Buddy Rich's lightning fast left hand and Dizzie Gillespie's cheeks.

I also got to hear Freddie Cole in person at an outdoor concert a few years back. He came on stage at dusk, and when I closed my eyes I could swear I was hearing his brother Nat.

I especially like the great female singers today such as Megon MacDonough, Jane Monheit, Diana Krall and Norah Jones. But if I really want to get yanked around I'll listen to some Nina Simone. "Put a little sugar in MY BOWL there, baby!!!"

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil Riley
Visitor
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil Riley   Email Neil Riley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone getting into the new Donald Fagen album?
Man it's fast becoming my favourite album. Ultra smooth grooves, tasty guitar, impeccably arranged...and Donald's voice has never sounded better.
If you haven't heard it...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5N62U/sr=8-1/qid=1155569124/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4939395-1392044?ie=UTF8
I dunno if that link will work, but check out Morph the Cat

--------------------
Neil Riley
Riley Signs
Adelaide,
South Ozzz

Posts: 157 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Yeh, you're right Dusty. Marketing. I'm into guys like James Harmon, Little Charlie and the Nightcats and Bob Margolin. Margolin just played here last month and he's the real deal. He was Muddy's guitar player in the 70's and has a great sound.

Bill, did you read the story about Dizzy Gillespie cutting Cab Calloway with his carpet knife?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ol'friend Don Randi owns the Baked Potato jazz club in Studio City, California. Used to go there in the 60's. Me and my friend David built the entire interior as well as the front, we did it in period style of burnt pine, still stands today I'm told [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Didn't hear that story, Brent. What happened?

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Bill, just read it in the PBS Jazz book. It seems Dizzy used to carry a carpet knife for protection and got into a little scuffle with Cab Calloway when Cab decided to fire Dizzy from his band. He didn't like Dizzy playing that "Chinese Music" which we now know as Bebop.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!