Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Summa D60 owners, help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summa D60 owners, help!
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im cutting vinyl this morning, my d60 starts doing its thing, then the carriage goe to the left and the screen reads error in y axis. There is no friction causing it to lockup, and I was not cutting a big roll of vinyl. Ive tried re-booting, etc. and it still does it. Havent called tech support yet, thought someone might have an idea on here.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John.

The dreaded "Error on X/Y axis" eh?!

I remember complaining about the D60 in detail a few years ago about this problem.

I initially purchased one and experienced exactly what you have indicated. It was very frustrating because it was brand new, and occurred no matter if I had a small sheet running or a whimpy 10 yard roll.

I had Summa replace it with another one....and the same thing occurred.

I then was put into contact with Jim Doggett - who I must say was a Class act, honest, and the best to deal with.

I was given a decent deal on exchanging it for a new D750 at reduced rate. Summa really treated me well in this regard.

I believe Jim Doggett posted an acknowledgement in a thread within the last year or so here stating they had *problems* with the early D60's as you describe your issue.

If I am not mistaken....Jim said the new D60's have dual servo motors or a beefed up servo that eliminated the problem.

The problem was that the early servo motors couldn't handle the *tug* oj the vinyl....when they felt the jerk on a small roll of vinyl they would error out and screw up the job in some cases.

I hope Jim will pop in and correct/clarify what I am saying from my diminished memory of the issue....but it was something to that effect.

I tried giving you a jingle on the phone...but you must have been out fishing [Wink] .

I'd give Summa a call and ask them if they indeed had issues with your particular servo motor - - and I would certainly ask that Summa rectify it if that is the case....as it was a known problem, and one they redesigned in later series of the Summa D60.

But again, that sounds like the exact problem that caused me to launch into a complaint/debate on a thread where someone asked what kind of plotter they should buy. I stated my dissappointment in the D-60 and was jumped for "dis-ing" a merchant - Although I felt that the signmaker trumped over patronizing a merchant.

Good luck John, and please let us all know how your problem is resolved. Summa does have good tech support and I've been overall pretty happy with the Summa D750 (it has twin servo motors instead of the one the D60 had upon it's introduction).

[ August 10, 2006, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Doggett
Merchant

Member # 1409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Doggett   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Doggett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the plug! And for jumping in to help out.

Hi John,

Y-axis errors differ from X-axis. So a call to our tech folks is a good idea. They're at 800.323.9766 and can sleuth what's going on and what's needed to fix it.

Best Regards,

Jim

--------------------
Jim Doggett
General Manager, USA
Yellotools, Ltd
www.yellotools.com

Posts: 500 | From: Sherman, TX USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah....that's good to know there's a difference between the two.

You cannot beat Summa support...they were always there and helpful when I needed them....which hasn't been too many times.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently it was the file I was trying to cut that was causing the problem. I use vinylmaster pro for cutting, and never had this problem before, but after I dumped the whole file, and set it up again, it whizzed right along and cut it like it always has.
I remember your problems todd, but to date, this is the first one I have had. Usually, it cuts flawlessly and perfectly. I wouldnt think twice about buying another Summa because of the quality service this one has given me. I was a little concerned cause I am working on a 17' furniture truck today, and had to get done by this evening. Whewwwww!
Thanks for the help!

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL John,
I wanted to chime in and help, but I haven't had a problem yet.
So much for a 2 year warranty, eh? What good is it if you can't use it [Smile]

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

That's great...glad it was just the file....

I've been very pleased with my Summa D750....it does cut and track quite well!

Edit: John - Just out of curiosity....I checked and found the old thread I was thinking of...

According to Jim, they released a new firmware upgrade to solve the "Error on X axis" problem......so yep, that was different than yours.

You might want to check into that firmware upgrade though...what the heck.

Here's a pic of my D750 which has been a very good unit....

-

[ August 10, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's the same as a y-axis error message gotten on a Gerber Embosstrack, then it's probably a sensor problem. I just hope Summa has the part you need; unlike Gerber who stopped making & distributing parts for their older machines. I think the y-axis is the back & forth movement of the carriage, & the x-axis is what feeds thru the friction rollers. Hope it's just something simple. Good Luck! (editted 4 grammar)

[ August 11, 2006, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to chime in and give kudos for Summa also. I have a D60 and, besides an occasional X-axis error, which is easily fixed by rebooting the plotter, I've never had any problem with it. It cuts and tracks great, often cutting 50 - 100' without removing the vinyl. I have to add that the Summa people are top shelf to deal with also. If my plotter broke down today I wouldn't hesitate or even consider buying anything else. I have a Goober Envision also but it's dedicated for Edge work, not the day-after-day, all-day vinyl jobs.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Thompson
Visitor
Member # 1851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had a D60 that I wasn't very happy with. Just didn't and couldn't do what my old Annagraph did. Upgraded to the D750 SL and haven;t looked back. I call it my Hummer :-)

--------------------
Glenn Thompson
Tell-Tale Signs
Williams Lake, BC
sign@telus.net
(250)398-7446

Posts: 201 | From: Williams Lake, BC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have my old D610 that still cranks away 12 years later and we bought a D60. One of the ealier ones with the servo problems.. But another problem we found and still could never get it fixed is the sensors. If we leave the media sensor on I can ganurentee a X axis error everytime. But we leave it off and the plotter has worked flawlessly.
Have tried tech support a few times but no avail..

I am not slamming summa as I will still buy another summa Plotter when we are ready for our 60 inch.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!