Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New Web Hosting Service needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Web Hosting Service needed
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I am need in recommendations of a new Web hosting Service.

I just need reliable email with control of my website and domain. A couple of email address would be nice and enough bandwidth to send send files back and forth.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how reliable they are & whether that's enough bandwidth, but have you looked at www.siteground.com ?

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about 1and1.com

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own multiple domains, so I was glad to find a host that allows virtual hosting. Instead of paying to host each domain separately, I can host up to six domains for a single fee of $6.95 a month with www.bluehost.com. It was a snap to configure, and so far I've been really happy with them.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cis Pack
Resident

Member # 2011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cis Pack   Email Cis Pack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, I am confused (it doesn't take much). They will set up your web page free and and all you pay is $6.95 a month? I thought web pages were so expensive and the setups were $400 and up. I must be dreaming.

--------------------
Cynthia Pack
246 Diamondview Loop
Galax, Va. 24333

Posts: 659 | From: Galax, Virginia USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cynthia, you may be thinking of web design rather than hosting. Bluehost.com doesn't build the web pages for me. I build them myself, and upload them to the bluehost.com server. Does that make sense?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Duckett
Visitor
Member # 4505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Duckett   Email John Duckett       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started using www.bluehost.com also. Evrything has been good so far and the time or two I needed customer service, it has been great.

--------------------
John Duckett
Strike Creative
Greenwood, South Carolina

Posts: 277 | From: Greenwood, SC | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cis Pack
Resident

Member # 2011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cis Pack   Email Cis Pack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Russ. That does make sense. You are just so smart. What program did you use to design your webpage? Some people say Front Page is good. So if I could design my own page than it would cost just the $6.95 a month? I have just never checked on a web page because I was under the impression that it cost a lot every month. That is why I was thinking of selling things on ebay.

--------------------
Cynthia Pack
246 Diamondview Loop
Galax, Va. 24333

Posts: 659 | From: Galax, Virginia USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, I use 1and1.com and absolutely love them... have had no complaints whatsoever. Like Bluehost, you can have multiple domains for the one charge per month. I have about 20 different domains with different websites, etc. and it only costs me $9.95 per month.

Also, with my package I got 3 free domains, and to register new dot coms, nets, etc. is only $5.99 per year. They are one of the cheapest registrars out there also.

I guess I should sign up on their affiliate program, I like them so much I've gotten lots of my friends to go with them. So far none of them have come back and told me of any problems.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Transcom in England- $99 aussie dollars a year for the domain name, plus hosting- 100 meg of server space, tons of bandwidth, whatever email names you wish. No probs in three years.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, if you have broadband and your service is reliable why don't you host yourself? My mail/web/ftp server sits next to my file server. It sits in front of my firewall, everything else is behind it.

[ July 17, 2006, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Bob,
I use godaddy and I have no reason to be disappointed with their service. They offer several free add-ons like 500 emails, domain forwarding, etc. at some of their lowest rates.
I've heard a lot of good things about 1and1, but never used them.

Mike O,
You gotta post or share more on how to host your own server. It sounds too interesting [Smile]

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
I'd be interested to hear how you have your server set up.
I have my domain/email hosted remotely but have often thought about putting it on a Linux box and/or firewall at the doorstep.
With regard to the original post I use webcity.com.au who have been 100% reliable at $5.95/month Au with so many bells and whistles I'll never use a fraction of them.
Support was great on the one occasion I've had to contact them.

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a word of caution about hosting your own server - many ISP's will prohibit this in their terms of service, particularly if you just have a standard connection. Not trying to put anyone off, but something that should be checked into.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Cynthia, I haven't used Front Page, so I can't say much about it. I tend to code by hand, or use Dreamweaver. I'm not the fastest coder. But, for personal pages speed doesn't always matter as much. I have a lot of computer geek friends that have given me guidance over the years.

No matter what, it's going to be an investment of your time to learn. Even if you have someone else create the pages, it's good to know the basics. A Google search like "web page tutorial" will turn up tons of information on the subject.

The domain name itself has an annual fee, which varies depending on the registrar (the company you use to register it). Most of my domains are $10 a year. With some hosting services, they include the price of your domain fee into the price of the hosting, as long as you stay with them.

So, hosting a single domain ends up being around $100 a year. Not bad at all. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, I host my toonfactory site, and two other sites I maintain at hostgator
The packages are extremely reasonable and Ive had no down time and the email is easy to use. If you decide to host there and need any help, just let me know. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tater, the 'gator has some good info there about avoiding getting scammed on domain registrations and other stuff. Everyone needs to go there and read up on it. If I was looking for a new host I'd give them a serious look based just on that and knowing what some other hosts have been known to pull.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

The first ISP I ever worked with registered my domain under their company name instead of mine. They didn't want to give it up when I decided to change ISPs. I abandoned it, found a different domain name, and did the registration myself. Now my contact info is on the domain registration, and nobody can hold me hostage.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!