Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Any "Creative" Ideas for Storing Vinyl Rolls?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any "Creative" Ideas for Storing Vinyl Rolls?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the process of renovating the vinyl storage/weeding area here.

Once finished, I would like to find an attractive way of storing and managing what seems like a million rolls of vinyl.

This area was formerly an enclosed, insulated sun porch at the front of the house and since we only intend to be here for a short time I am hesitant to start screwing things to the newly finished walls. I just want to enjoy a nice, clean, functional environment until we sell out and retire.

I was thinking about large capacity wine racks but I would be interested in hearing about any other "simple/silly/offbeat/serious/excellent/innovative" ways that you folks use for storing all those rolls of vinyl.

[Thanks]

[ June 20, 2006, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my 15" vinyl is put back into the plastic wrap then put back into the box. The boxes sit on a shelf unit I built so the boxes are 2 high on each shelf, 7 wide. They're arranged in order of the color chart. Each box is left open with the color name written on the open flap.

As for the 30" vinyl, the few rolls of it I've bought so far are sitting behind the plotter. Gotta figure out how to store it before I get too many.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back, Doug Allan posted pics of his shop and it seemed as if all the rolls of vinyl were very neatly arranged...Doug? Pictures please?

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestion Kimberly..I did a search and found the pics of Doug's set-up. Looks neat.

-

Now I need Doug to jump in and tell me where he got the vinyl storage racks!!! His are attached to the wall but I am sure they could be, somehow, made freestanding.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use PVC pipe. Cut into sections 3/4 the height of a roll of the vinyl I want to stack, and about an inch larger in diameter than a full roll of vinyl for ease of maneuvering.
They are then stacked on top of each other, naturally the second row is offset from the first in the "dip" created by the circles of the first row.
I have open shelving loaded with the PVC rolls, and then those rolls loaded with the rolls of vinyl. The shelving has to have solid and sturdy sides, that's all.
Colors of vinyl are of course easily seen, and the whole thing can be stacked permanently by glueing up the PVC pipes with PVC glue.
I have a pack of the PVC rolls glued up under a large service table, but the rest of them are loosely stacked and therefore completely mobile.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myra..Any chance you could post or send a pic of your PVC method?? THAT sounds interesting. [Thanks]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple open shelving on the wall has always been my choice. The shelves are layered in such a way that the vinyl takes over the entire wall floor to ceiling. And if you arrange them by color and rolls neatly arranged, it's quite a colorful showpiece for the customers too. I always manage to get a wow kinda reaction.

edited to add:

I have the vinyl standing up on it's own edge so the sides don't get marked up and colors show best.

[ June 20, 2006, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone used those shelving units from walk in closets....you know - the plastic covered wire ones you can get in Home Depot, Rona etc. They mounted them on about a 30 to 45 degree angle with the vinyl laying resting against the small ledge. If you built a frame and mounted a few shelves in it I think it would work well.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

I have a wire rack that I mounted to the plotter stand. All the vinyls are right there, easy to access right underneath the plotter.

Of course I don't keep much inventory so it works for me but if you don't want to mount racks to the walls, you could make a taller rack that rolls on the floor. Easy to move around as needed that way.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-

I've already tried all the "simple/silly/offbeat/serious/excellent/innovative" ways to store my vinyl and am totally satisfied with the regular vinyl storage racks I bought last month from Fellers. They even have freestanding floor models that hold 44 rolls each. My catalog says they're 74" high by 32" wide by 18˝" deep and are easy to assemble. Pricy, but perfect.

Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
I got several racks from Product Sign Supply in San Jose, but I have seen the same wire style in all sorts of catalogues. I recently got some more from Advantage Sign Supply.

I would re-consider the effort to avoid holes in the wall. My method of mounting them is very solid & only leaves a few holes. The rack on the left in the picture is 5 racks in a row, spaced to where the 4 rows of 4 are the same distance apart as the next 4 rows of 4.

I have (2)horizontal 2x4's bolted to the stud wall w/lag bolts countersunk into the 2x4's. Then I painted some MDO & screwed it to the 2x4's. Each rack has about 6 screws holding it to the MDO, but only 8 holes in your wall can hold 5 racks, or 80 rolls of vinyl. It's not that much work to fill a few holes for the convenience of good racks. (The racks are about $40)

Of all the photos I've seen here, the one shop I always remember liking more then mine is Duncan Wilkies. I think he is the one who Kelly was trying to remember. I know there were a lot more pics posted at one time, but I was only able to find this one:

Duncan's shop:
 -

*edited to add... I also have one of the free-standing types Frank mentions (on the right in the pic of my shop that you posted) It is great for my 24' rolls... but at over $300... maybe not the choice for a guys last year in the biz? [I Don t Know]

[ June 21, 2006, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave - Fellers carries them - black & nickel plated. . . .I heard they have free shipping over $50 . . . . .
Doug - shop looks great - always that clean?

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nearly always. The tool room, production room, & paint room are more likely to have clutter... but the edge & mimaki workstations are pretty well kept. My office gets so many papers out at times, I may not see the actual desktop for days!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just stack mine in the original boxes on top of my small file cabinet. I like to know with one glance what I have in stock, and the box seems to be the cheapest safest way to store the vinyl.
I would not want it "loose" where it could get dusty or exposed to sun or Weezer hairs.
That's the HP rolls.
The Oracal 651 goes into the knee area between my two cabinets under my office counter, out of sight of the customer.
love...jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have 5 of those wire racks on a wall.
For my bigger rolls (24-60")I bolted together 20 of those large square end cap things they pack control-tac with... some rolls go on the "stubs" and others fit nicely in between.
In the corner between the wall racks and the floor blocks is a tree made with a 4x4 and dowels that spins on lazy suzans (2 screws in floor, 2 screws in wall)
 -

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once saw a shop that used tomato soup cans screwed to a painted board. Works well for 15" rolls or smaller, and is great for the budget. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being limited on space, I found the wall racks to take up too much space, and yet didn't hold all my vinyl stock. Too much space between rolls, so I hung them over lapped, and could get more per area.
Still, I soon decided I wanted my wall space for samples and artwork, so I store my rolls of vinyl out of view in a walk-in closet, on shelves. I store them standing upright on end, two rows of rolls per shelf, and they take up alot less space. I can easily see the colours. I arrange the colours from hot to cool colours. (reds to blues)

I ended up selling my wall racks for cheap less than 2 years of having them.

~nettie

[ June 21, 2006, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Janette Balogh ]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the great suggestions folks...I'll post pics when I get the room finished and have decided which way to go with the storage problem.

I do know one thing. I am going to be tossing all those one and two ft. pieces I always save "just in case".

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dave, I accumulate a lot of 1&2 footers too.. in fact I have probably 50ft worth just piled up on the floor right now. Think I'm gonna take 'em to a pre-school... let *them* throw it away - after the kiddies are done sticking it all over each other. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was without the internet all day so far today, and now that it's fixed I'm too backed up to post the photos, because it always takes me a while to get them sized right.

But I did take them, and sent them to Dave.

Anyone else interested to see send me an email and I'll send them to you directly.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, schools or day care centres love them vinyl scraps...

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vinyl is currently sitting in coca-cola flats on the floor. When I get into my shop, I plan on using a corner wall with shelves like Donna uses. To me, it makes the most efficient use of the space and lets you see what you've got easiest. The only thing I'll do differently is to put up some kind of "stay" to keep them from toppling.

[ June 21, 2006, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Dusty Campbell ]

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, for a mere quarter apiece, you can get some very sturdy chrome storage racks that are completely portable. What's more, whenever you're done with them, you can call this nice man with a trailer who'll come out to your place to collect them all. [For Your Information]

Just check out these incredible bargain racks at your nearest supermarket....where they're otherwise known as "shopping carts". [Wink]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] Ken!

I got your e-mail Myra..Thanks. Neat idea!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, for the 1-2 foot pieces, I roll them up and stick them inside the appropriate tube. Sometimes I even use them...most times I forget about them. LOL

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg DePauw
Visitor
Member # 6604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg DePauw   Author's Homepage   Email Greg DePauw       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, Flat files work great. You can find them at a used office supply furniture store.
Hey, otherwize I say use Pvc pipe.
good luck, Greg

--------------------
Greg DePauw
Art Rod Foundation
206 S. Davenport
Metamora,IL. 61548
(309)-367-4496

Posts: 52 | From: Metamora, Illinois. USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Donna...An excellent idea for storing the short pieces!!! Thank you.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!