Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » stuck on design and colors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stuck on design and colors
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right now i have 2 different water related companies i need to letter vans for. this particular one is blueish gray...i wanted to do something a little cool with the versacamm but everything i try looks like shyt. i'm just not in design/color mode and i need to be.
the lettering style is fairly bold. i'm struggling with colors to show on this...i'm doing the windows(long name) 2 lines. then i'll do the "service stuff" under the windows

what color combos might some of you use? i'd like to do a water effect but when i tried it...it looked like crap and was too hard to read. obviously i'd like to incorporate some blues.

why can't i think today? its monday and the phone is starting to ring...too much going on!

thanks!

-

[ June 19, 2006, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you need to focus your Chi....ohhhmmmm......ohhhmmmm

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn....
Don't be afraid to throw in a bit of grey, as well as some aqua and lavendar.
I'd try to keep it cool-toned.
If I knew the name of the biz and the copy you need I'd be tempted to have a play-around with it, as I'm sure others would like to as well.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karyn,
Why limit it to the blues? It would of course look great with a process blue, white and a complimentary third color, but why not try aqua and silver? A third color could be magenta (street rodders love that) or even an apricot light orange with the aqua would pop on that grey van.

Might bring back memories of Miami Vice, but hey,
Retro colors are back in! Then again, these are only suggestions and it is a Monday, so take it for what it's worth. Will you post the final decision when you finish?

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
art's water(line 1)
tech services, llc (line 2)

a bit of a mouthful.

now i'm even more frazzled...just got a big rush job on like 30 signs and banners...and nothing is small! man this business just gets too crazy sometimes! thats a good thing right? thankfully its my left hand thats in a cast!

jill...we used white and orange on his other van...very simple. but now i'd like to do something more eye catching. i'm just struggling on anything to do with a design...okay ken i'll try some meditation. [Wink]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez - i missed that post - what happened to your hand Karyn?

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the others said....Aqua, teal, turquoise always looks good on gray...silver or white outline maybe, or like steve said....a really bright contrasting color !

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks i'll give those colors a try. i'm just having one of those loser spells when i can't design anything! well maybe i could do a stop sign, but not much else! [Wink]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whazzup with your hand?
Here is my idea...
I incorporated some orange (not by choice) to match what he already has.
I'm kinda stumped today too!
love....Jill
 -

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

that's great jill...i like the water drop in the A. it definitely helps alot! i needed a new perspective! you're the best.

the wrist...i fell going down the mtn. ya know when you step down and all the rocks let go sending you on your ass with your wrist bent the wrong way. could be worse..could be my right side or a leg, right? or an eye(again)..bawahahahaha...

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jillibeans - you nailed it!! I like it a bunch - it's "punchy" & professional at the same time - great work - -
only nit-pick - that "water droplet" in the A kinda looks like a , uh, how can I politely say this. . . .part of the Male anatomy. . .meybe just put a triangle there instead in the same blue as water is . . .

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1393 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I needed an excuse to look at my new letterhead fonts again. The main copy didn't look right in any of my 6... but I thought "Art's" looked pretty good in Sofia Script, so here's what I got with the help of a google on "water texture"

-

-

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff- I like them both, Doug & Jill- well done!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7027 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

hey doug i like the fill...very nice...i'm still trying to get back to this...gotta leave the office for a good portion of the day for an out of town meeting with a client.
i found a cool water texture in one of my clipart cds...high res photos...i'll try that.

thanks again!

[ June 20, 2006, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea Doug... I've never thought of goggling "xxxx texture"

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

well not much has changed...still blocked and just in a design funk. anyhoo i've gotten this far...now i have to leave for the afternoon. this guy is just the nicest guy...real mellow...doubt he'd do pink and teal...he's not flashy...likes things simple. figures when i'd like to go the extra mile for someone i can't seem to get my shyt together. and to think i haven't even tackled my other "water related" van...and again another great guy...i hope i can rekindle the spark of creativity soon!  -

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!