Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT...Baby bird.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT...Baby bird.
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I found a baby robin on my front porch. Every year birds build a nest up inside the ceiling vent out there. He had fallen out. I put him back in two times that day.

The next morning he was laying on the porch floor, near death. His two siblings had not survived the night, they had fallen out as well.

I could not just let the poor little thing lay there. I gathered him up...he was like a limp dish rag. I wrapped him up in an old towel and looked up baby birds on the Internet.

We started feeding him a mixture of cooked egg yolk, applesauce, water, and soft dog food that first day. A Q-tip with the cotton removed is the device I use. I had absolutely no hope for the little critter.

A week later he is still with us. His pin feathers are opening up and he is very strong. He eats every half hour from sunrise to sunset, and is very vocal about wanting to eat!

I don't know what will happen, I am sure it's not legal to have a wild bird, and hopefully he does not have bird flu! But he sure is a cute little mite. Rachael named him (or her) Larry because he has fuzz like one of the Three Stooges. Just wanted to share a picture or two. I know I've been posting a lot of pix lately!
Love....Jill

-

-

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
That is awesome. I can't wait to show Samantha when she gets home from school. She's way into birds these days.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would the world do without such tenderhearted people? Nice post!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3488 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point, he/she looks like it is ready for table scraps...chooped real fine! Birds need protien to grow.

You now have a friend for life! I know Robins are not as smart as parrots, but you will be amazed at what tis lil bird will learn!

Enjoy!

[Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added real worms to his diet today....yuk!
Luckily there was a bait can in the fridge.
Justis chopped the worm up and the bird swallered him down.
(shiver)
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is so cute Jill. I hope he makes it.
A word of warning about baby birds. I've been told if you touch them and return them to the nest the mother will reject them. They don't like the smell of humans. This may be why the bird got ousted the second or third time. Gloves might remedy that. Just a bit of trivia. [Smile]
My son brought home a pigeon once. We named him Punky. He loved to stand in front of the speaker and dance to rock and roll. He was adorable but you knbow what pigeon do best. We kept him until spring (three months) and then set him free. He kept flying at the windows trying to get in the house or landing on my shoulders and crawling under my hair. It was sad, but I'd had enough of cleaning up after him. Eventually he flew off.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a cute little thing. If he is eating well, I don't see why he woulnd't make it. You'll probably have a buddy for life though.

Edited to add:
Is there anything significant in the number of posts I have (999), and today's date???? [Eek!]

[ June 06, 2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Russ McMullin ]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WoW!

We had one of those for most of the winter. My brother in law had to move the nest for finishing his soffite on his new house and the parent did'nt came to feed the babies. Marie-Claude took care of them but they were in a bad shape and one of them died.

We release the other one last week

Here's a picture of my son feeding him with cake OUTSIDE! Believe it or not we tried last fall to release him but he was probably too young and kept coming back!  - !

If you go to a pet store they have special food that you can feed him with and it is not expensive. You can also use a seringe. Give Marie-Claude a call if you have questions, she's the bird expert!

Life is so good!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Larry flew the coop today.
I discovered there was still one bird in his nest up in the vent.
For two days I tried to get him to stay in it.
He had learned to fly and kept flapping down.
This morning I left the front door open just to see what would happen.
Larry took off!
First he clung to the side of the house, then he took off across the yard.
He paused in a tree, then flew away to another.
He is so chubby from being fed that I'm amazed he can fly!
Ironically, Justis found another very tiny baby bird on the porch today. He was a different type, and able to fly a little.
We located his nest out front in a tree, and put him in the bottom branches. By lunchtime he was back with his family.
love....Jill
PS
Cute pic, Pierre!

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word is out Jill, Jill's Diner~

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's a nice story. I've brought home so many abandoned animals in my life. It's such a great feeling to release tham back to their native habitat.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3820 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Ellis
Resident

Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Ellis   Email Dawn Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, this is such a precious post. Thanks.

--------------------
Dawn Ellis
Signs by Dawn
Long Beach, CA
signsbydawn@aol.com

Trust yourself. Listen to the voice within. It is always right.

Posts: 456 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed this post too. You guys did a great thing.

We've got lots of robins in the back yard, and one thing I've learned after trying to put them back in the nest; once they are pushed out of the nest, the parents continue to feed them on the ground. Unless they are really small and can't fly at all, I just leave them where they are. Mom's usually not too far away.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rescued this little fellow from becoming cat food this morning. I've been watching to see if it's parents are around since yesterday, but he just seems to be getting weaker. There doesn't seem to be any nest around either. Today I checked on him just in time to scare away a cat. Guess I'll take him home and give him to Niki - see if she can nurse him back to health.
I think he is a Cedar Waxwing. Doesn't he look sad.
 -

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Larry has not been back, but I miss him.
If the parents have not been around, I would pick this little fellow up.
I fed Larry a mix of:
1 Tablespoon applesauce
1 egg yolk, hard-boiled
1 Tablespoon canned dog food
Mash it all together and use a Q-Tip with the cotton removed. Be sure to get it far back into the throat.
You can also use the Q-Tip to give him or her a few drops of water.
When the baby is ready, he will fly away on his own.
I kept Larry in a wooden basket.
At first he liked being wrapped in a clean dry dish rag. Remember they are used to the warmth of their siblings in the nest.
After Larry could fly he would just perch on the basket.
Good luck!
love....Jill

Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, [Eek!] You fed Larry Egg Yolk [Confused] [Frown] Now he'll be known among all the other Robins as "Larry the Cannibal". If he ever mates, his significant other Robin probably won't ever allow him near the nest to look at the pretty Robin's Egg Blue eggs, for fear that Larry will revert to his yolk-eating ways and devour their offspring. He's doomed to a life of celebacy, and will lead a forelorn and lonely existance, until some Country & Western singer like Hank Williams writes a plaintif song about him and his sad existance. "I'm so lonely I could die"

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say?
I found it on the internet.

baby bird rescue

Hey at least he didn't bark!
hahahhaa
love....jill

Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool story! We had three birds... now down to one.. seems like we're getting another real soon.
Did you notice your "found baby bird" post was on the 5th and the "fly away" post was on the 13th. 8 days!
That's some good balanced feeding! You did VERY well! ^5

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!