Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do you do this type of artwork?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you do this type of artwork?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. Could someone tell me how this type of artwork is done? Is it vector? Is it a photoshopped photo of a fish? Airbrush? Thanks!

http://shop.oysterbaytackle.com/images/images_big/got_cha_T.jpg

http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/shirts/2005_wmo.JPG

http://www.oceancityfishing.com/clothing/skipsshirts/wmo1.jpg

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be done in any of the ways you mentioned Felix. It could also be cone with a brush. I would probably use Photoshop and a Wacom tablet.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably do it in Photoshop, or both Illy and Photoshop.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I posted a link to some tutorials on CD. They are not free, but they are well done and worth the money. Even if your style doesn't match the work in the tutorials, you still get an idea of how complex images can be created in Photoshop. The site even has downloadable samples to view.

www.digitalarttutorials.com

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

There are several ways of doing that type of art.

As stated earlier, you can do it in Photoshop. Typically, the illustration is done as line art and then brought into Photoshop for coloring and texturizing. Afterward, the colors are seperated. The sample you linked was done using spot colors.

A tutorial on how to do it this way is available at www.motorsportsillustrated.com by artist Jeri Clow. The tutorials are inexpensive and full of clear concise instruction on how she does it.

The other way is to create the illustrations first, scan them in, add the other objects and text, then seperate in Photoshop.

Below is an example of a job I did last year.

-

This is one of the earlier versions done in Corel.

-

This was the finished product.

The fish were illustrations done by a local artist. I scanned them into Corel Draw. Then I added the various elements and text. Once the design was approved, I brought it into Photoshop and separated the colors. There are 8 colors in this job. Scarlet Red, Lemon Yellow, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Light Puke Brown, Black, Underbase White and a Highlight White.

The underbase used a 195 mesh and the other screens used 305 mesh. The film postives were generated at 55 LPI (round dot, 25 degree angle) on an Oyo thermal imagesetter. The underbase was flashed. All of the other colors were printed wet-on-wet.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this one out

http://www.rachelscreenprinting.com/catalog/shop_image/product/efd4928baf48f08a44b9c18589c84e4c

[ May 30, 2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Felix Marcano ]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://rachelscreenprinting.com/catalog/shop_image/product/efd4928baf48f08a44b9c18589c84e4c.jpg

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made screenprint art from very similar photo type work that the client created. We did about 6 shirts altogther. The program is called fast films, and it takes photoshop files and converts them color separations.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Flame-Drums-TShirt?sku=410634

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Work Glenn - -Fish look awesome - I hope you sold them some signage as well - they NEED that design on their "hangar board" at their dock - - -

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carl. [Smile]

Felix,

That image.....

-

.....was most likely all done in Photoshop and Illustrator (although it could have just as easily have been done in Corel). The artist(s) definately has a good knowledge of marine life.

Looking at the other artwork offered by the company, I noticed that the same fish art is utilized in different designs, so that does make things easier. There is clipart available for purchase at Usscreen.Com that may help you get started. Also, there is plenty of pics available on the net that should be able to provide reference material so that you can render your own images in the manner that Jeri Clow does her's.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks everyone for the info. Glenn, THANKS!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they mostly start out with an airbrushed or painted illustration on board then the rest is computer "finished".
I can't remember who did the first pic... my mind is going

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Russ,

Thanks for the link to DigitalArtsTutorial. That is some killer info! I'm surprised at how inexpensive the CDs are. Time for me to break out the CC when the wife isn't looking.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!