Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do you hide a dumpster?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you hide a dumpster?
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here at the ranch we had to locate our dumpster about half way down the driveway which put it right about the center of things. To skirt a massive walnut tree which we love the driveway had to curve sharply and the big garbage trucks were a tight fit.

But small problems are great challenges and the task at hand was to turn the ugly dumpster into a feature in our yard. The solution we came up with was to hide the dumpster inside a small mountain. Today was mountain moving day.

We prebuilt the mountain top a while back inside the shop. Since we built it in the winter we did it inside to stay out of the wet weather. That has been sitting outside for a while awaiting the next step.

Over the last day or so I built the heavy structural frame and massive steel doors which will open outwards for garbage removal. Today it all got moved down the driveway to the site. The local lumber yard guy arrived with the boom truck and in minutes we had it all loaded for the short trip to the front yard. Like clockwork it was zoomed up into place without incident. I LOVE it when a plan comes together!

Plans call for us to finish the bottom half in place. On the back side in the shade of that GIANT walnut tree will be Phoebe's play yard complete with her own play fort and a short slide down to the ground. It will all be built with Fiberglass-reinforced-concrete over a welded steel frame like many of the projects we build.

This is one FUN project!

Here's the mountain going on to the truck... lots of sweat here as we test out the welding on the lift points!
 -

I'm breathing easier at this point for we are ALMOST into position...
 -

Here's the concept for the back side with Phoebe's playhouse and slide.
 -

It's FUN to do grampa stuff!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Androsky
Visitor
Member # 2806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Androsky   Email Jonathan Androsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful Dan, if you keep posting stuff like the crane truck, people will start to think that you work for a living [Wink]

Seriously though, that's cool as all get out. Thanks a million for posting Dan. You're always good for inspiration, especially on crappy rainy days [Razz] .

(Edited for spelling)

[ May 11, 2006, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Androsky ]

--------------------
Jon Androsky

Posts: 438 | From: Williamsport, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sawatzky, I think perhaps you were born with two brains in your head, and try to max out both of them.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6730 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Rick, I'm catching myself with my mouth hanging wide open....and saucer eyes.

Your two brains are blowing mine.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I get it. How do you get it out to dump it?

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The middle picture is the front side and there are two giant layered steel doors which swing open to reveal the dumpster. Like our shop doors they have a compound curve from top to bottom and side to side. The circle in the middle will have a funky oversize handle which turns like a puzzle lock.

And I only have one normal sized brain... but unfortunately its stuck permanently in overdrive. [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now don't you be making Phoebe into no dumpster diver, Dan! [Razz]
She's got a better future than that!!!!!!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh No! Her play house is going to smell like rotten food and swarming with flies and bees.

[Wink]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!