Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Thank You! Dan & Pierre

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank You! Dan & Pierre
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish to express special thanks to Dan Sawatzky and Perre St. Marie for their patient technical help in the true Letterhead spirit on a sign we just completed.

-

I emailed Dan and he called me right back, giving me a number of pointers to help with this project. His love of textures and the hammered Copper sample in SignCraft gave me inspiration to try some new things.

Pierre St. Marie and his family have been master carvers and fabricators with HDU for a long time. Pierre took quite a bit of time on the phone to walk me through some construction details.

The logo design was by David Beck, an illustrator in the Dallas area. We have worked on some projects together. I tweaked the final design for construction purposes and came up with the 3D concept for the job. The owner was early on talking about a vinyl on Aluminum sign. I felt we just had to do it in 3D and when I described the ideas I had in mind, he got quite excited about it. Corel X3's new bevel features made a rendering easy to produce so that he could see what I was seeing.

The shapes were cut out on a Multicam router. The beveling was done with my version of MC Router and the hammered Copper look was accomplished with my very own MC Hammer. I took out lots of frustrations beating on that thing for two hours with hammers, shovels, rakes and other implements of destruction (ode to Alice’s Restaurant) and ended up with the frustration of a very sore arm. Well, actually, I didn’t use shovels and rakes, but I did use wrenches and several different hammers.

The sign is approximately 3-1/2' x 6'. The background is 3/4" HDU finished with Black Beauty smalts. It is laminated to a Dibond panel for stiffness and mounting integrity. There are keyhole slots in the back of the Dibond to align with Tapcons that were set into the wall. Additional Tapcons went through the panel at each end and are covered with circular pieces.

The outer ring was routed of ˝" HDU, with incised letters, which were finished with Black Beauty smalts. The scroll and vine work was routed of ˝" HDU and hand carved for the 3D effects. Amazingly, we only broke one piece while carving and it epoxied back together well. The letters and grapes were made of 1" HDU and the letters were carved to a prismatic shape. The drop shadows were cut out of ˝" HDU and finished with 23K Gold leaf. Most of the elements were finished with Copper paint.

Although not priced by the square foot, this job ended up being about $220.00 per square foot, installed, plus tax, permit, and lift rental.

This picture shows the carving up close. Cam, please don't laugh too hard!

-

This one, taken during installation, shows the smalts in the incised letters on the Copper ring.

-

Edited because the sign was better than my spelling. Also, I forgot to credit the designer.

Edited also to repost the photo.

[ May 09, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beeeeeutiful!!!

[Smile]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really nice David!!!
What was the copper done in? Copper Leaf? Copper Paint?

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosemary
Visitor
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosemary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know! [Razz] It was hammered or tapped, no? And its not metal at all!
HOW do I know? Cuz I have ESP or DAD, whichever you want to call it! [Big Grin]

me [Smile]

[ May 08, 2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Rosemary ]

Posts: 764 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very cool!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave was kind enough to send me high resolution files of these pics... the workmanship is nothing short of AWESOME!

The many hours of labor could have been done with the router if he had used EnRoute Pro and bitmap texturing... but then he would still have all that pent up frustration inside which wouldn't be a good thing.

I am glad I could offer a little usable advice.

AWESOME work Dave!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is stunning David! I love the design and the colours. Well Done!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, Harding. A real masterpiece. I didn't notice any hand lettering on the sign, but it is still a beauty.

I looked for you this past weekend at my hand lettering demonstration in Fort Worth. Another chance to learn the mastery of the brush just down the drain.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan told me about Sophisticated Finishes Copper paint. I wasn't able to find their full line at our local paint supplier but I did find Modern Masters Metal Effects Copper. It has real Copper particles and will tarnish and give a nice patina if desired.

I experimented with some patinas and decided to keep the Copper fresh looking and clear coated it with their clear to stop oxidation. The paint and clear coat are water borne acrylics, suitable for exterior use.

The designer had envisioned red for the outside ring and I was already pushing the envelope on color with the Copper, I didn't want to put green in there.

I could see the job in my mind's eye when we started, but it looked even better in real life.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Raymond,

I wanted to break loose to get to Fort Worth, but at this time, everyone wants a piece out of me and they all want it right now. I couldn't get away. Besides, I had to go hold my new granddaughter for a few hours.

Our daughter has two children, she named her son after me and her daughter after my wife. I guess she liked us after all. Either that, or she wants to think of us when she's yelling at her kids!

Edited to add:

One of the early ideas on this was to paint it directly on the brick. I wanted to try that but when I found out they were installing an awning before we could get up there to paint, I abandoned that--I didn't want my first hand lettering job to be under such circumstances.

By that time, I also had the 3D concept in mind as well. I think the dimensional sign is markedly better than my pounce pattern hand lettered one would have been.

[ May 08, 2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harding, that is frickin' BEAUtiful. One for the history books my friend.

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really superb! Thanks for the walk through as well!
Cat

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Androsky
Visitor
Member # 2806

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jonathan Androsky   Email Jonathan Androsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that looks mighty fine indeed David [Applause]

I'm very excited to see someone using the Modern Masters paint outside. I've been wanting to give it a try for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

--------------------
Jon Androsky

Posts: 438 | From: Williamsport, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stellar! I love it.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the nicest sign of it's kind I've seen in a long time. Every part of it is perfect from my point of view. Way to go everyone involved in this masterpiece. Thank you for sharing.
[Applause]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice and clean David...very exceptional!!!

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

If I had Enroute Pro, I would have tried one additional thing. I would have liked to make the sign slightly convex in the middle, sort of like a belt buckle. Trying to do that by hand would just be too difficult. We were also under a time crunch on this job and couldn't do too much extra experimenting.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stunning! This should go on the cover of you-know-what-magazine [Smile]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1965 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very beautiful work. I keep coming back to look at it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's great- words fail me!
(but Coal Vines sounds a pretty wierd name to me- like Mud Trees?)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Beautiful David, WOW !!!! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff Dave...love it...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Ian,

They use a coal fired oven for their pizza, hence the name "Coal". The "Vines" part comes from their wine cellar. It's in a historic part of town where coal deliveries were a daily occurrence a century ago, although the building itself is relatively new.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutly beautiful. I'm so jealous.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Nuff Said [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow i'm just seeing this...absolutely gorgeous!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful work.

I don't think you could find anything wrong with that if you injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected or see-lected it.

I've had that song stuck in my head all day since I read it this morning. I've enjoyed it, Thanks.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

You can get anything you want at Coal Vines Restaurant.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!