Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bilingual Sign - Help Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bilingual Sign - Help Please
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a sign that needs english and spanish...so I was hoping someone can help me translate...

"Private Property
Keep Out
Trespassers will be prosecuted"

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Propiedad Privada
No Entrar
Los delincuentes serán procesados

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are websites that will do translations for you. Just type in the wording and the language you want - easy to find on Google.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1268 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call Sal, but I think Kimmy is right. [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Private-o Property-o...

Just kiddin'!

Propiedad Privada
No PASE or NO ENTRE
Delincuentes serán procesados or violadores serán procesados.

Kimberly's is correct as well.

Here in PR we would use violadores (violators)instead of delincuentes. Really it depends on which hispanic group you are trying to keep out! Violadores also means rapists... Man you english speaking folks have it easy! English is sooo much easier to speak! LOL!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2275 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much guys...

quote:
Originally posted by Felix Marcano:
Private-o Property-o

[Rolling On The Floor] Thats what I said when I was asked to do the Spanish on the sign... Have you also noticed that when some people are speaking to someone that doesn't understand the language, the speaker repeats himself, only louder and slower... [Roll Eyes] yeah, like that's gonna help.

quote:
Originally posted by Felix Marcano:

Man you english speaking folks have it easy! English is sooo much easier to speak! LOL!

I have been told that English is the hardest language to learn, because we have so many tricks to spelling / grammar / phonetics.

I hate to admit it, but I did awful in english in school (I had to take english 101 3 times in college to pass), but I was a wiz at math (I was taking physics and calc as a senior in high school). I still have a serious problem with spelling...

I have been saying that I want to learn spanish, but I just don't have the time or patience to learn. When I was in college, I learned to speak some Russan, but I have yet to meet someone that speaks it.

[ May 04, 2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Mark M. Kottwitz ]

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, in my HS, our Spanish teacher was a French woman who married an American during the war. So how'd you like to be an American learning Spanish from a woman with a French accent? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There are websites that will do translations for you."
--------------------
HA! They sure do! I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the US State Department has been using for the past 6 years. Try it and see. First, have it translate English to Spanish. Then feed it its own Spanish and have it translate back to English. It won't be the same. Feed that "English" back for another crack at Spanglish, and back & forth, and you too may be thinking Yanqui Go Home.

BTW, Kimberly got it the first time.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using the web translators is fun and useful, but hysterically inaccurate when it comes to the choice of words or the tenses, etc.

I use them sometimes if I must to speak to Spanish speaking people, and as we do it we all crack up.

I learned English in school, and did not find it as hard to learn as French. I thought, last year, that a few night classes at the local Technical institute would allow me to learn Spanish by osmosis, more or less.
NOT
A person's linguistic foundation does not seem matter, you still have to study!!!! All I learned before I dropped out is that the more you already know the more you get confused between languages that are similar to each other.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hablo bastante español para entrar peligro, pero no hablo bastante para escapar.

En inglés: I speak enough Spanish to get myself into trouble, I just don't speak enough to get out.

My shop foreman is from El Salvador. He speaks to me in his English, I describe the jobs to him in my Spanish. Therefore, nothing gets done because neither of us has a clue.

Edited 'cause I tried to write what I say in Spanish but I didn't write it right... yeah, right.

[ May 05, 2006, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5095 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahahahaha Dave...sounds like my husband and his cooks!

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that much Spanish yet, but my wife's family is from El Salvadore. I do know, from a couple of trips to Puerto Rico, that it does depend on the hispanic group. Many word or phrases are different...just like ya'll Yankees and us Southerners.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!