Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What program do you do your designs in? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What program do you do your designs in?
Cis Pack
Resident

Member # 2011

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cis Pack   Email Cis Pack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to start doing my designs on my laptop. I use Omega 2.1 and have for the past year. It would be a lot of hassel to transfer dongles and expensive. In order to save the hassel & money, I thought I would start doing my designs in CorelDraw X3 and then transfer to my desktop into the Omega software. [Roll Eyes] What software program do you design your logos and such in? Do you have a better suggestion? It seem like the new X3 really is a much improved program and has many more fonts. [Applause] How many use freehand? Flexisign?

--------------------
Cynthia Pack
246 Diamondview Loop
Galax, Va. 24333

Posts: 659 | From: Galax, Virginia USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDraw is all I have ever used, since version 2. Everyone has their own favourite programs, but for me, CorelDraw will do 100 times what I will ever need or master.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2nd for corel!!!! throw that GOOBER STUFF away!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe Illustrator is my preferred program.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corel,,

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Adobe Illustrator.

I'm sure Corel will match up on most, if not all of the following points, so use what you know, but I recently got to work with Omega 2.5

I had a design I had done in Illustrator using Gerber foil color pallettes, it was built in layers & including a placed .tiff file. I didn't have to save back to an older version of Illustrator anymore either.

Omega 2.5 was able to import the file, the colors we're already correctly assigned & layered in the proper print order & another new feature of 2.5 was the clipping path.

My .tiff file was set to overprint as a spot color that filled in several complex gradients onto the 2 other colors of vector contours already printed. Omega 2.1 would not have allowed this, but I "clipped" several compound paths out of the rastor image.

I agree... dragging the dongle around is not worth the hassle when such good import filters are in place.

...oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the file was then saved in Omega 2.5 as a .plt file with the .tiff embedded! (finally [Roll Eyes] )

[ March 06, 2006, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Vigeant
Visitor
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Vigeant   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Vigeant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Flexi which has gotten better, but there is no way it can hang with Corel or AI for complicated print designs, but for most vector type sign art it's fine. You will have the dongle problem though.
You should see how people compare the tracing features because that can really vary. Flexi was better in older versions but now it's sadly useless. There is a new program out (reviewed in SignCraft) just for tracing that would be the way to go.

--------------------
Steve Vigeant
Berkeley Signs
Oakland, CA.

Posts: 55 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the files I spoke of to better convey the new improvements in Omega 2.5.

Upper left is the rastor image. The white areas needed to be knocked out. Upper right vector paths were assigned as clipping paths & made the "knock-out" possible. Lower left shows the spot black & silver metallic foils that printed first, & lower right was my original Illustrator design.

(The gradients were created on vector paths, so these could sometimes be imported succesfully into Omega as gradient filled vector contours... but there were so many varoius complex fills... I believe converting that part of the file to a rastor image was best in this case.)

-

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
start out in flexi and drat it over to illustrator for the finishing touches

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Dave, Corel since version 1. But I did use Ana DesignArt for many years along with Corel.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDRAW is my favorite.

You may also want to search the archives because there are other excellent discussions on this.

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign CS

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDraw since version 3 then PhotoPaint then Photoshop and last Signlab 5

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teresa Bostic
Visitor
Member # 6214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teresa Bostic   Email Teresa Bostic       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to answer on the grounds I may discriminate myself.

--------------------
Teresa Bostic
Bilbrey Signs, Inc.
Cookeville, TN

Posts: 173 | From: Cookeville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illustrator and CorelDRAW. I see very little difference between them... or I know them both well enough that switching between the two isn't a problem at all for me. [Smile] Some tasks I may be a little more profficient in one program or another so that's why I use both.

I hate Corel's Contour tool (gotta clean up tons of nodes it throws in) and the "Convert Outline to Object" tool isn't much better by the time you have to fine-tune the nodes it gives you. OFten I will bring the artwork into Illustrator for outlining because Illy gets it done fast and clean.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James McLain
Visitor
Member # 4877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James McLain   Author's Homepage   Email James McLain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDraw! gets my vote. I've used it since version 2.0.

I am currently using version 12.0. I also own various other programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Freehand and Quark Express to name a few. I always come back to Corel.

I think Adobe Illustrator is probably just as good once you get used to it. Corel, however, always seemed more intuitive to me and therefore easier to use.

I cut my vinyl jobs with Signlab. I simply export EPS files from Coreldraw. Signlab has no problem with them at all.

I do my digital printing with Postershop Production House. Again, I import EPS files made from CorelDraw.

I really don't think you can go wrong choosing CorelDraw for your design platform.

However, I must say that I like Adobe Photoshop a lot better than CorelPhotopaint. Other than that CorelDraw rules!

[ March 06, 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: James McLain ]

--------------------
Jim McLain
McLain Studios
1203 Main Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
jlm@mclainstudios.com

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait until a really good RIP for Corel draw comes out.. No bridging allowed. Plugin will be fine.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right Brain 6.0
Sign Wizard 4.1
CorelDraw 9

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signlab for cutting vinyl. Goober Omega for running the Edge and Photoshop for designing L.F. digital stuff.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerber Omega 2.1
Corel Draw X3
Photoshop CS2
Adobe Illustrator CS2

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel Draw since 3.0

I am using 12.0 now.

I have used some of the others, but Corel seems the easiest to use to me.

I can't think of anything it will not do.

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerber Omega, I have tried others like Corel and Adobe, but for SIGN design I find Gerber best.
I do use Corel 11 for some of my wide format prining work.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexi Pro here........with some Corel , Photoshop, Fireworks...and quite a bit of hand Brush work...Ya see I started in this business over 50 years ago........(Did some "Cave Paintings" with home made charcoal)........lol,,,lol.....

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe Illustrator for design, Old version of Flexi for cutting. Photoshop for images.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5398 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS2, Coreldraw 12.....

Used to use Coreldraw exclusively, but now use Illustrator exclusively - and with some exceptions like Illustrator a little better.

Also like the fluid integration of Illustrator and Photoshop.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CASMATE Pro 6.52 They've been outta business for some time now, but it works. Workin' on learnin Corel.

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I design in Gerber GA 6.2 (bare bones stuff)
transfer to Corel 9 to tart it up for emailing to customers.
Then back to GA to pounce or plot.
Then I finish it up with my good old 10 digit hands, usually adding paint.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Corel is a paying Merchant on this site, I'll say that I wouldn't use anything but Corel.

Seriously. Pick ONE of the drawing programs and practice to be as skilled with it as you can, or as skilled as you want to be. They all do the same thing. It's only the artist using the program who is the variable in the equation.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cis Pack
Resident

Member # 2011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cis Pack   Email Cis Pack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all the great replies. I have been trying to learn to design in CorelDraw for about a year now. For some reasons I keep going back to the Omega. If there was a good teaching guide or teaching CD's for Corel then maybe I could learn to use it. I just have a little trouble doing everything I can in Omega, in Corel. Maybe I just need to use it more. Again thanks everyone for your replies.

--------------------
Cynthia Pack
246 Diamondview Loop
Galax, Va. 24333

Posts: 659 | From: Galax, Virginia USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At work...

Corel 10 Suite, Flexi and Adobe Streamline.

At home...
Corel X3, Photoshop, Flexi, Streamline and all the plug ins I can muster.

Seems like lately I've been on a run with file converting. Artwork is now going out to press printers, shirt printers, subcontractors, etc and having the abilty to reformat as needed is a plus.

Cynthia,
Like you, I'm trying to readjust myself to X3...and Flexi at the same time...two very different programs in my line of thinking. Even after running most of Corel's versions since 3, there's a whole ton of good stuff in there I'm still finding.

Have a visit at the Corel website tutorial pages HERE or at Lynda.com for some good info on X3.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Corel websites are:
www.unleash.com
www.oberonplace.com

and the Corel News Group (cnews.corel.com)

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Marquis
Visitor
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Marquis   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Marquis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like many of you, I use Corel too; exclusively. Which brings up a question... If so many sign makers use Corel, why do so few graphic designers outside of the sign business use it? In my dealings with them, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have come across a Corel user.

Dan

--------------------
Dan Marquis
Marquis Signs
Lewiston, Maine
dan@marquissigns.com

Posts: 118 | From: Lewiston, Maine, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question, Dan. I think I know the answer, but I'll keep it to myself.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pencil and paper
no joke
I always start there

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still Use my Signlab 5 for the basic design and shapeshen import into Photoshop for Prints or Artcam for Models. I would possibly consider converting to X3 but I have 11 years of files for signlab so makes that a little difficult. Corel for creating the Countour Cuts and EPS for the Versacamm and Artcam/Rhino for the Router.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PhotoShop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 and EnRoute Pro 3 are the ones I use exclusively after drawing out my ideas freehand and then scanning them.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
x3 for design (sign to large format print and press printing) & omega for edge prints

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take a stab at Dan's question and say I think sign makers originally selecte Corel because it was a PC program and Illustrator et al was Mac only.

Sign makers used the software to drive plotters, which, like CAD software, were PC based.

Graphic designers first went digital when the Mac made that possible for desktop publishing.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDRAW (since ver 2), Illustrator CS, Xara X, Photoshop CS, Flash, Fireworks, Painter- different tools for different jobs.

As a "Graphic Designer"- I have designed tons of stuff with Corel over the past couple of decades- I think it is more widely used in the sign and screenprinting industry because of operating systems, cost, versatility... and over the years some of these factors have become non-issues, but it is still a great tool.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put me down for Corel Draw (since ver 1) & Photoshop.

It's all about the users ability not the program, you can make some ugly stuff with the best programs!

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!