Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cone Heads ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cone Heads ??
Steve Carter
Visitor
Member # 494

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Carter   Email Steve Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this problem on numerous occassions and know that there must be a better way!

I need to place text on a straight line around a cone shaped object. If I try to apply a straight line it will curve.

To get around this, I apply some scrap vinyl to the object where the text will need to be applied. I then turn the object upside down and scribe a straight line onto the vinyl. I then remove the scap and scan the line into my Corel Draw program. In Corel Draw I use Edit Text and apply Text to arch. I remove the curved line and cut the stencil. Apply the design/text to the object where the scrap was originally.

Takes a lot of time! Anyone have a better way or formula to get a straight line on curved objects.

In this case, I am etching names onto a set of Martini glasses for an event locally. Once the first one is set up, it is a piece of cake for the rest, but takes some time!

Thanks in advance,

--------------------
Steve Carter {:{)
a Touch of Glass
254 Lexington Mill Rd.
Magnolia, DE, 19962
PH: 302-335-3170

Posts: 181 | From: Magnolia, De, USA - Center of the Universe | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a very thin book published by Signs of
the Times, back originally in 62 & again in 1970,
called "how to Screen Print on Cylindrical and
Contoured Surfaces". It has been a very long time since I'd read it, but judging by the pictures inside, I think it describes what you are asking about. There are formulas among the illustrations, but I'd have to read up 1st. Judging by 1 picture, it looks like you have to determine the cones' radius to its vanishing point. Measure from there to the bottom (or outer-most away from VP) of your lettering would give you the radius of the circle that establishes the proper arc. But shouldn't we assume that today's sign softwares have that
ability already built into them?

Simply stated, you need to find the Vanishing
Point, or Radius. (In pictures, they are the same) That will determine your arc. Sign software should take it from there. I think I remember seeing something like that in Graphix Advantage at one time,where the arc was determined by the radius (which is obvious).

[ February 03, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two ways to do this.

1. Project (or guess) where the peak of the cone is and measure from that point to the outter rim, or where the line of text is. That will give you a radius to use for a circle you can align the text to.

2. If it's difficult to project where the peak of the cone is, like if the angle isn't very steep (it should be very easy for a martini glass) it's time for trig and a scientific calculator. You'll use the formula:

h=((1/2)D)/sinX

Where:

h=the hypotenuse of the angle formed by the wall of the glass, which becomes the radius of the circle you use to create the text.
(1/2D) = half the diameter of the open end of the cone

sinX = the sine of the angle of the cone (angle is given but you need to measure it) and you'll need the calculator so you can enter the angle and hit the SINE button.

This equation basically breaks the cross section of the cone into a triangle with one 90 degree angle so trig can be used.

Example: The glass has a rim diameter of 3" and the side of the glass is a 45 degree angle. It looks like this:

h= (1/2)3/sin45 which breaks into:

h=1.5/.707

h=2.12 inches

That means you would draw a circle with a radius of 2.12 inches or diameter of 4.24 inches. If you created text aligned with that diameter it would fall right on the rim.

If you wanted the text to fall 1/2" below the rim you would use a diameter of 3.24 inches

I created a sample piece and photographed it. I guessed on this one, it's really close.

-

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it your long way round, Steve, and it worked.

Thanks for the proper maths way, Mike, I appreciate that!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problemo.

It also seems to work better if you use the Envelope/Warp tools to form the letters to the right radius, otherwise fitting the text to the path can screw up the kerning and any vertical lines in the letters may not track straight back to the peak of the cone.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Carter
Visitor
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Carter   Email Steve Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having some computer problems - about to re-format hard drive!

Thanks for the advise and formula for cutting straight lines/artwork on cones. Will have to dust off the ole' Trig. book!

Hope to be hack up and running by weekend with help of computer friend!

--------------------
Steve Carter {:{)
a Touch of Glass
254 Lexington Mill Rd.
Magnolia, DE, 19962
PH: 302-335-3170

Posts: 181 | From: Magnolia, De, USA - Center of the Universe | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!