Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » west system epoxy on backside of sign question.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: west system epoxy on backside of sign question.....
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a one sided carved sign i'm working on...1.5"signfoam and i'll be using west systems epoxy to bond it to 3/4 mdo...it will be mounted between granite posts...the sign is 57"x57".
my question is...can i cover the backside of the mdo with a coat of west systems b4 i paint it??? the backside of the sign gets the brunt of the sun. i'm just not sure if its a good idea because of the expansion factor. i don't want the thing to get all cracked in the back. i will be using porter paint on this sign.
thanks for any advice.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a

[ October 21, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Cam Bortz ]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally concur with Cam.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4116 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your suspicions are probably correct. But it's not the face of the MDO you really have to worry about, only the edges. Some people swear by West for sealing mdo edges but not me. I've still seen it swell and crack there. I'd be more inclined to use something like marine caulk (3M 5200).

I can definitely advise AGAINST is using West as an adhesive for large painted surfaces. Once those surfaces start moving it'll shear the paint right off at the substrate for a total failure. Glue them raw or use a different adhesive. I know that wasn't your question Karen, but worth mentioning here for anyone reading who isn't aware of it.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not coat the back side.

Should be just fine primed and painted as usual.

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1876 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done some experimenting with epoxy on wood. Canoes, yes, signs NO. The epoxy is peeling off the wood. I tried epoxy over paint and epoxy on the raw wood then painted. Both are peeling right off.

West System is a bonding epoxy. When used on cedar or redwood boats and canoes, they lay down fiberglass and epoxy over it. The wood is simply there to hold the shape. But all the wood is completely encased in epoxy.

In my opinion, I can't see attaching wood to HDU. The life span of the two are so far apart. I have had great success using DiBond and Alumalite as a backer. We then add two steel flats across the back. All this is done with epoxy and bolts. The Dibond is epoxied to the back, bolts are epoxied into shallow holes in the back. The bolts go through the Dibond and the steel flat. Brackets can be attached with the bolts at the ends of the flats.

I'm doing this on a sign I just blasted. I'll try to remember to take photos and post them.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5401 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys...i won't be coating the back with west systems...however i will be bonding the two together with it...along with a few screws. i know lots of folks wouldn't dream of attaching mdo to hdu...but its in a very windy open area on a mtn top...and i need it so i can attached the brackets to the granite...i'm not a welder so this is the only way i've done it in the past.
i would like to try the hard coat that coastal products put out...kellie showed us about it at my meet...but i'm already into this project so i'll have to try out in the future.
hopefully what i'm doing for this will be fine! [Wink]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just put the West on raw surfaces, ok, before primed or painted. I learned the hard way.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardcoat is not the answer for the back of the sign. It works great at repairing HDU though.

You don't have to weld to use my methods. I buy little angle brackets with slots from a local machine shop. Everything else is just flat steel, machine bolts and epoxy. You don't even need to drill the holes in the steel flats since your local machine can, but I do it with my drill press.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5401 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn,
Why not make a frame out of 2"x4"P/T lumber and attach that to the granite in some manner. Screw your HDU sign onto the face of that. Then attach your MDO panel, or whatever, to the back for a finished look.

Simple, no glue-up, no seals to fail.
Even if the sign is an odd shape, you can still place the "backer" behind the frame and it will appear as if it is one thick sign.
If necessary you can add a piece of aluminum across the top to finish it off.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!