Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » granite posts HELP!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: granite posts HELP!!!!
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i have another carved gold leaf sign thats going between granite posts...i don't install granite...i tell the customer that its up to them to install the granite posts. i will make the sign...have the brackets made and install the sign.
so i was suppose to have my brackets yesterday because the customer had the posts installed...well i finally track down the welder guy from calls since last week to touch base...well he didn't get them done and is too busy this week and going away next week...blahblahblah...great thanks dude...so i call this other guy and drive an hour to meet with him...he wants me to make a template of 2x4s to fit exactly between the posts....ok i go over with my 2x4s and tools to make a template.

question for ya....should i be able to move these posts?? they seem to have a little play...that can't be good right?
i know the guy only put them in 2ft because they were only 7ft tall...(and 7"x7")
so i'm trying to make this sf template by myself and its a clustafuk...i'm sure i looked like a giant ass...of course the top part is tighter than 20" down...so i'm also thinking a welded H bracket isn't the way to go...i think i like the same type that i had for the alpine sign....where there's 2 pipes coming out of the plates and there's some lee-way..then use hose clamps to secure.

so is 2ft down enough for granite posts??...i didn't think it was...do people ever use cement???
should i tell the customer they need to put these in more securely? i don't want frost to heave them and rip out the hardware from the sign and i get blamed.

thanks!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 feet into the ground?
definately no good...
check your area for frost levels..
I have seen it here where frost will go 6 feet
deep under areas where snow has bee removed
under a blanket of snow it still can go 25-30"
Id set those posts at least 40"
I dont use cement..most people disagree with me
but if you ever need to remove a post...
you will curse the cement for days...
that is...if you know how to curse in the first place....

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should be 4 feet down in your area.
There should be no movement, whether you use concrete as I would, or just compacted soil, they should be solid as a rock (no pun intended).
Not only will frost heave them, in the spring when the soil is like muck a good wind will tilt that sign.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10% + 2
That's 10% of pole length plus two feet - in packed gravel.

That would be 33" below grade for your 7 footers.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta agree on depth

but if they don't want it cemented in, the most superior alternate is sand. It compacts so well that you would think it was cemented in...whithout the permanency.

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Boone:

you will curse the cement for days...
that is...if you know how to curse in the first place....

Oh I think Karyn can handle a few curse words! [Wink]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!