Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » nutha gold leaf question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nutha gold leaf question
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i went up to that place to gild the letters on location...after i sanded and prepped both sides i sized 5 letters...and as soon as i started to gild the wind started in...musta been 30mph the whole time. needless to say i missed my short window of opportunity to gild so 4 of them look like shyt...ya know lines and cracks.
i need to go back tomorrow and finish so i wanted to redo those 4 letters on that side.

can i just resize over the gold or do i need to sand it off?

i guess i can only get away with 2 at a time...and tomorrow it may only be 1 at a time cause thats the sunny side.

thanks folks!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn, Now you need to size the rest of the letters in the same line, then let them dry just the same or the first five that you guilded will look slightly different than the next ones. Then start over. John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer.
I think John is right. That coating of size will probably result in a different finish.
Was it quick size? Because size is meant to have an "open" time it doesn't cure like paint. Give it a thumbnail test to make sure it's dry before recoating. I would test a small area first and wait 15-20 minutes to be sure there's no reaction like alligatoring.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1127 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh thats ok....the first letter on both words were vandalized so they had the company that originally made them do 2 new letters...that company didn't know that the customer had painted all the letters metallic(of course they busted some taking them down so they already look bad)...so these were new and gold leafed(too bad they put them up with nails that rust)...the ones i'm doing now...are the originals...then they were painted with metallic and now they'll have 2 gilds on top of it....trust me i'm putting a bandaid on a bandaid for sure.
here's a pic so you can see why i'm not too worried...hopefully it will all blend in when i'm done...speed limit is like 50mph...lol  -

[ July 23, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! You ARE a bear for punishment!
If you are doing these outside...use patent leaf! You will have more control in a 'breeze'! Also you can use what's left on the paper to patch those cracks and holidays...after you burnish, the patching will disappear.

Don't know what you are using for size, but I like 1Shot quick size. But otherwise, sounds like you are doing OK ...except for sizing too many letters at a time.

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man...they only installed them with those little finish nails?

Would'a been cool if you coulda just taken all the letters off and back to the shop with you where you could work on them so much easier. . .or either the whole sign.

It's such a bummer to do stuff like this on-site . . .I ALWAYS winde-up having to go back to the shop 5 times, or get 'surprises' as I start into the work that make me have to entirely re-organize and go get different stuff. . .

OOF!-ARRGGGG!-ACK! [Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

makes ya wanna throw somethin' don't it . . . [Razz]

Good luck girl!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

of course i'm using patent!!! i aint that blonde si!! [Razz]

i do like slow size sooo much better...and a control environment helps. i wonder how many empty pieces of paper flew down the hwy. man it was windy!

yeah shiela i wish i could have taken them down but they did that b4 and broke alot...they didn't want to venture down that road again.
nevertheless...they are a great account...so i hope i can make it look ok.
i saw a moose on the way up and one on the way back. i never get sick of seeing them...of course i haven't hit one yet...few close calls...but "brake for moose...it could save your life!"...we actually have hwy signs that say that.

well i just finished painting some other letters downstairs on a carve sign i need to get out this week....time to go for a walk in the woods with the doggies!

[ July 23, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn, if you would mix a little slow size with the fast, you would not loose the tack and could even wait in between gusts of wind.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!