Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » There are now 8 plus signfolks here!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There are now 8 plus signfolks here!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard complaints of too much competition in many sign folks towns. It could be soon that the little town of Yarrow will have more sign people per capita than just about anywhere else I know of.

I don't much mind. In fact I welcome it.

A sign person I know and admire has just bought a place here in town. And I welcome that person wholeheartedly. I think they will do well and enjoy living here too. There was another person doing cast metal signs before I showed up and I believe there's another doing vinyl signs although they may have recently moved.

With the five of us working in our shop and the 3 plus in the other shops around it makes for one sign person for every 137.5 people who live here in Yarrow. And there are only about 10 businesses on the main drag through town. All of them have signs and I don't think any are currently in the market for new ones.

Even so, I think all of us sign folks are going to do just fine. I think we can even be friends. I don't believe there's going to be a price war anytime soon... if there is one I know I won't be participating.

All the sign people (local and otherwise) are welcome to drop by my shop anytime. I'll make it a point to drop in and visit them too.

With so many locals being signfolks, maybe we should rename Yarrow as Letterville! [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw shucks Dan! I thought you were having a "pre-Muster" meet!
That's a lotta signfolks in a small spot, but they can't compete with what you produce.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'competition' here is welcome also and I see it as a very positive thing.

When I get requests for electric signs, or screen-printing there are shops that specialize in those areas I can send work to . . .or if there's just something I don't wanna do.

There are also a coupl'a places I can send 'thrifty' customers to . . . [Wink]

There are at least 2 shops here I work together with on jobs.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one or two other "sign guys" here...but one of em is only a so-so handpainter and the other is an Upholsterer with a vinyl plotter, if you know what I mean...

So I'm pretty much it for 20 miles around or so. That works for you and against you...

One good thing about the upholsterer, is that I don't get nearly as many cheepo price shoppers as I used to...

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprise! IT's ME! I'm yarrow bound and have absolutely no qualms about competition, even with Dan or others just down the road. I never did in the past 12 years so why start now?

I had a choice to make when moving. Move to a busy main road and put up a sign or move to a quiet residential area and do things as I do now.

I chose the latter. I want cody to experience road hockey with the neighbours rather than dodge screaming vehicles going by. And I want to control the amount and kind of biz I take in. I already have repeat clientelle elsewhere and my goal is to maintain that.

Thanks for the welcome Dan!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I need some quality vinyl work I know just where to go for it. I've visited Donna in the past for her type work and have been super pleased with the quality of work I got. I'll happily send customers her way too, knowing they will be well taken care of.

The trucks she did for me are long gone but we still use the banners during the start of each season at Giggle Ridge. Its almost time for new ones though.

It will be great to have a new resource and friend just down the street!

Welcome to Yarrow Donna and Cody!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, best be careful of that Cody, he may come and be courten that grand daughter of yours one day...lol.

Donna, congratulations of your move to Yarrow, a beatiful place with a great view, and very near a great mini golf course.

Dont let on that you know Dan, and maybe the locals will let you in on the hubbub surrounding the goings on at Giggle Ranch. I know Dan like's to keep them guessing...lol

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, congratulations on your move!! It's a beautiful place, Yarrow. Doing it your way too! You'll both thrive.

all the best,
John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!