Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What Generator to Buy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Generator to Buy?
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After being on yet another job without a good source of power I am considering buying a portable generator.

How much do I need? Mostly going to use it for my hammerdrill and heatgun, although it would be nice as a standby for power outages at home.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Coleman 5500Watt. Works great, only complaint is the noise level. This is a two person effort to move. Have it wired into the house in case of power failure, will run two freezers, fridge, lights, baseboard heater, and a well pump.

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David..I don't own a portable generator but the one thing I HAVE noticed AND appreciated is that Honda generators do seem to be MUCH quieter than many others.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Grundy is right...if it's quiet you want..then you want a Honda.

I have what Peter has. Plug it into an outlet in the garage (wired by an electrician just for this purpose), flip a switch and I'm back in business.

Paid for it with my *home brew* savings... ;)just kiddin..hehehehe.

Father in law has a Honda...nice unit but more money....very quiet as generators go. Good luck on that.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Hondas- very good. Then there is a multitude of cheap Chinese imitation Hondas about- they're really cheap, but a bit more fuel hungry I've heard, & noisier.

We use a diesel single-cylinder Robbins 3.5 kva unit that puts petrol ones to shame for economy of fuel use. But a heat gun will slow it up, so will electric fridges- for heavier power consumption, you'll want around 5kva or more. Don't expect it to start a 2hp air compressor though, unless it's empty of air, as starting power drain on capacitor start motors can be up to 6 kva, even though the running power is 1.5 kva.

We also have a 20 kva diesel 4 cylinder 3-phase unit which is very neat, but not portable. Fuel used is about a litre per hour.

An alternative is an inverter which can run off car/truck batteries & give you 110/240 volts AC. Just don't flatten the vehicle while parked or you won't get back home. If going this path, invest in a dual battery system so both can charge up as you drive, but only one can be flattened by the inverter.

Good luck with your choices

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if your going to purchase a portable generator that you want to be: reliable, easy to start, easy to maintain if it ever breaks down I can only recommend HONDA. The fire service has found that Honda is the most reliable engine for gasoline powered portable generators pumps and rescue tool power units. Of all the generators and pumps we used during the two floods we had in the past year, we only had one Honda unit go down, and that was because the idiots dropped it.
We had probably somewhere in the range of 120 gasoline powered units running at one time. Thank god they werent all Hondas or I wouldnt have made nearly as much overtime.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of the Generac's and it's dependable and loud and the ouput remains constant. My neighbor has a Honda and it's quiet and the output varies by demand. Honda also has one of the best wavelength readouts of any. During winter we often want to run our computers from generator power and that wavelength of power that has the fewest spikes and dips is most desirable. If I could afford a Honda big enough to handle our needs, I'd get one.

Now, for what you need, I once had this device that I wired into my truck and I could plug a drill or tool with a motor into it and run it off my alternator. I'd need to keep the RPM up to get enough speed, but it worked fine for the occassional use on a job.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David~

The fire department I work at uses Honda. As it had been stated before, they are hands down the most dependable & quietest around. We do in excess of 7000 calls a year, we have them on fans, Holmatro power units & a generator (5500 watt) on every piece of apparatus, believe me, they get USED HARD!!! In the 15 years I have worked here, I don't think there has ever been once that they have never started or preformed 100%.

You mentioned that you want to use a hammer drill and run your place in the event of a power failure. You can easily carry a 1000 watt portable to use with your tools, but your talking a totally different application when it comes to running your place of business/home. I would not think you would want anything less than a 5000 watt for home/shop. That is kinda overkill and hard to lug around just to power a drill.

If you do wire it in for home/shop use, be sure to do it correctly. We have been with the power company when they are working on lines and the genius homeowner has a generator back feeding into the power lines on the street. It happens more frequently that one would like to imagine, and the poor SOB in the bucket gets the brunt of it. Not a pretty sight and makes for one unhappy camper!

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have an ONAN 6.5KW mounted in the mobile sign shop. i got it when i bought the truck. it is wired into the truck the same setup as a motoer home has. i can run it to power all lights and receptical or i can plug the truck into a 110v 30 amp circuit and run everything that way. it fairly quiet and runs at a lower rpm then most other generarators..so its not constantly reving up or down. its the same commercial type ONAN they used to put in high end motor homes.
as for an occasional use of electic on a job site...get a 400W or bigger INVERTER. simple thing to work i got mine so it can plug into a cigarette light socket. i can run my laptop and plotter of the 400W i have with just the vehicle engine at idle.
expense is the next consideration...
INVERTER $40-200 GENERATOR $399-4000.00!!!!
id try the inverter....unless you have a need for a generator....i do i live in fla....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an inverter for of site power. It will run a drill moter or a small saw easily. $60 bux .

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honda is getting raves all over even from people I talk to. Too much money though for the limited use I will have.

Inverter sounds good too, will look into it.

Thanks for all the replies.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Curtis and O.P. on this one.... INVERTER !!
I used to have a big Coleman generator that took two men to muscle it around and a trailer to put it on. Sold it !!
Then, I got a 2500 watt inverter off e-bay for about $180.00. A fraction of what a generator cost. Weighs about 10 pounds, easy to hook up and will run ANY 110-v thing you hook up to it.
For example... E-Bay INVERTER here

[ June 19, 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: John Smith ]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!