Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New portfolio webpage...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New portfolio webpage...
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm open to critiques.

This webpage is more of an informal personal thing than a business site. Hopefully, it will aid in my getting out of Femaville quicker.

Edited to say:

This might help. [Roll Eyes]

New portfolio site

[ April 06, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don, well done!

-not a critique, but I'd fix the spelling of "comfortable" on the Illustration page!

edit to add, on the mirrors page, I'd prefer to say 'backlit' rather than 'backlighted'.

also on your 'about me' page, the apostrophe in a few places comes up as a little number 1, (I'd & wasn't in the 2nd paragraph, & I'm in the paragraph about pulling a u-haul trailer, & I've in the next paragraph) and the quotation marks on either side of "mirrors" appear as a little 2 & 3, but the quotes around "facts of life" are fine. Maybe your font had a different setting for curly quotes which fouls up with Firefox? I don't know.

Also, there's no need to use an apostrophe in defining years eg 1980s. At least that is a standard over here, though people do it from habit, you're not abbreviating anything nor indicating posession. I'd make workmate one word, not two (JMHO there)

Well done!

[ April 06, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nicely done...I like the way you presented your work, Don.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good start. I especially like the front page. I hope it leads to other opportunities

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I put your site to mine again Big Don, you know I like your work [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Don and well presented too.

THe site should do what you wish!

-grampa dan

[ April 06, 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Neighbor!

Nice job, Don!

Here's my 2 cents for potential improvement:

It could be my (home) computer, but reading the 'about me' & 'My Resume' page; the writing is wall to wall, a bit difficult to read, without edge borders. The other pages read well.

Where you've included links within paragraphs, they are showing up in red, and are difficult to read against the black backbround. If red is your gig, maybe larger print...?

It would be helpful and a nice touch, if you had a heading on each page, stating which page we're looking at; Illustration, Logo's, Clipart, etc. This does show up on the bar above the page, but 'my' eye doesn't take me 'there' to look for it. [Smile]

On the 'Links' page, you mention a 'Contact Button', same as 'email'?? (I know, picky, picky) [Wink] Also, 'email' in lower case red, is difficult to read.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Take Care,
Cher.

PS: Finally got a new roof, last week! [Smile]

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the look. Took some of your suggestions. I agree about labeling the top of the pages. Just have to figure out how to do it without completely redoing the header, etc from scratch. Might be something that I do "eventually" and not worry about for now.

Glad to hear about the new roof! Were you able to get Morgan to do it?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put a photograph of yourself in the "About Me" Page.....maybe painting or carving. But a great site and great work..easily loads and presents itself well.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice site Don.

On your "Links" page, I'd recommend coding the links so they open in a new window when someone clicks on them. This way, your site remains in the background and all the user has to do is close the window to return to your site.

The way you have it now, the user leaves your site and would have to use the "Back" navigation button to return.

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Don!!! [Applause]
Just a thought maybe you could set the links to pages to change color to indicate which page is being displayed.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Badry
Visitor
Member # 114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Badry   Email Del Badry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice site, Don....

--------------------
Del Badry
philmdesign
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Posts: 636 | From: Sylvan Lake, Alberta | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Don!!
That is very nicely done...I love the home page calligraphy and the Einstien quote... [Wink]

That's is one of the fasted loading web pages I have seen in a while! Everything came up almost instanty, including pcitures I clicked on to enlarge!

Oh yeh, and you do fantastic work too!! [Smile]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis:

quote:
On your "Links" page, I'd recommend coding the links so they open in a new window
I couldn't figure out how to do that with a text link. No problem with getting images to open in a new window (in "behaviors" java script), but when I tried the same with text, that option was grayed out.

I'm using Dreamweaver 3.

I've looked at source code in other people's pages to see how it's done, but guess this stuff is over my head. I'm learning, though.

The way I figure it, I've got a decent shell, and now can add features and improvements as I learn how.

Hopefully, I'll be employed soon and can delete the resume page to make room for "misc".

[Thanks]

--------------------

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Sheila. Thanks.

Photoshop has an automatic feature for making web albums.

File>Automate>Web Photo Gallery

You just prepare all your photos, then put them into their own folder. When you choose web photo gallery, a window pops up when you navigate to first the source folder (where the large pics are) and then an empty folder you've created, which is where the finished album ends up. Click OK and it does everything autmatically.

Steve could use this for putting up meet photo albums in a matter of minutes.

I didn't want to use their html format, so deleted that stuff. But all of the thumbnails were in a separate folder, ready to move to the site. I didn't have to mess with resizing, file size or anything with the thumbnails. They were ready to go.

Nice feature. May have something in PhotoPaint, too. Worth checking out for anybody that doesn't have Photoshop.

Bottom line, these thumbnails open quick.

I'm starting a new topic with the micromeet of last October, done entirely with photoshop...no web design program other than "fetch" to ftp the pics up to my webspace. I'll put a step by step there.

[ April 07, 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I wonder if you could use that for the 'panel swap' postings as well??

The 3 panel swaps that were put up recently?? They took me over an hour and a half to load and view. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Don,
Glad to see you took care of the "Dummy Factor" for goofs like me. [Razz]
Works great on the laptop now.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Don,

Here's the code for having the browser open a new window when a link is clicked.

<a href="http://www.link.com/" target="_blank">

You simply need the "target="_blank" statement at the end. No need for Java.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Thanks, Paul! I'll try that today.

--------------------

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Paul.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again!

--------------------

Kristi Percell
Merchant

Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristi Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Kristi Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Site looks great Don!

--------------------
Kristi Percell
2013 Bodega Ave
Petaluma, CA 94952

Letterhead Sign Supply
and Percell Signs
Home of the "MicroMeet"

Posts: 352 | From: Petaluma, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Don! All looks very good!
Very nice portfolio.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I think the website is great. It is very easy to navigate and the work you present is very well done.

However, I think the thumbnails are compressed too much. They tend to look "mushy". For example, the thumbnails look like this:
 -

But they could look sharper, like this:
 -

There is the downside of increased file size, but not much. If it were me I would use less compression, and just a bit of unsharp masking.

I think the banner at the top would look better as a GIF, or with a lot less JPEG compression. A GIF would be smaller, and it would keep the letters from having a blotchy effect, and the fuzzy edges.

Finally, if it were me, I would register a unique domain name. If you are going to have a web page, you might as well make the URL easy to remember. It's like $10 a year, and hosting is pretty cheap these days as well. You could even host it yourself if you have enough bandwidth.

Despite my criticisms, I think it's a nice page.

[ April 08, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Russ McMullin ]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Russ, I enlarged the thumnails a little, then sharpened them. Probably still too much compression. But, I've got dialup here at about a 48k connection, and the home page opens in about 23 seconds.

Also, I changed the banner to a gif. You were right, it IS sharper, and down to less than 10k in size to boot.

I had one complaint about links descriptions. Rather than put up with people telling me what I can or can't say on my website, I just left the links with no descriptions at all. I'm learning first hand how Steve must have felt when everybody was tryin to tell him how to run HIS site. Too bad, cause I thought it was a good idea to describe them in my own words to give it a personal touch.

Oh, and I got rid of the mouseover images that changed the gold buttons at the bottom of the page to white when you moved your mouse over them. They were slow to load on dial up and didn't really add anything to the look of the site.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm learning slow but sure.

[ April 09, 2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

I took most of your suggestions into account and made a bunch of changes this weekend.

Actually, other than content, I changed most of the look altogether. New banners, new buttons, etc. It's evolving into something. Not sure what, yet. [Wink]

--------------------

Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don looks like you were busy this week end.
Looks great!!! [Applause]

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don,

The site looks great, and has good selection of eye candy. I look forward to seeing your monthly updates.

Keep up the Good Work!

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

I'd like to make the quote on the front page ramdomly change, so that it isn't the same quote every time somebody goes there. Does anybody here know how to do that with Dreamweaver?

Thanks.

--------------------

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I don't think it would be a function of Dreamweaver. I think for something to change like that, it would require a database. It may be possible with Javascript. I did a google search for "javascript random quote" and got quite a few hits.

I also found hits for doing a random image.

[ April 12, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Russ McMullin ]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

How difficult is it to pop in javascript with Dreamweaver? It does have an html editor that looks like it would allow copy/paste.

--------------------

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

I've never tried it, but I think that would work. It seems like it would be similar to editing with Notepad, which would also work. I've done pages in Dreamweaver, but never pasted in Javascript. I always added it later.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, it looks like you're having fun re-designing your site. (I need to find the time to redo mine.)

Yours looks good, it's quick, has an easy flow about it, and showcases some great stuff!

Nice job!
[Smile]
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the shade of black you've used and I think you could have exercised a more creative use of the word Coplen.
Apart from that I think you'll go a long way as an aspiring designer provided you stick with Times and Ariel.
[Wink]

[ April 13, 2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: David Fisher ]

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, way better!
I like the way the menu bar/buttons has a gentle sag in the middle of the screen at the bottom- very creative.

(Oh, nice shade of black [Wink] , now our website needs severe surgery & pruning & updating. It's old & awful)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!