Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Blasted and carved HDU 8'x12'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blasted and carved HDU 8'x12'
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was asking about blasting and compressor here about 2month ago in preperartion of this sign and thout i might share with ya-all the final product.

hope you all like it and thanks for all the sugestions. i bought a blasting pot and rented a 150cfm compressor and took about 6 hrs to blast.

chris

blasted and carved click on the picture for another page with close ups ...you can click on the close ups for larger pictures

P.s. the sign is pescado's...i have how to pictures on how i fabricated for any one who is interested and also i used panel clips to install.

[ March 11, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Chris Lovelady ]

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beautiful work Chris-the whole site. [Applause] [Applause] [Thanks]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Chris!
Coordinates very well that nice building.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys...this was a big-n

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,
Did it take 6 hours for both or each one?
What size nozzle did you use?
Can we see a closeup?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

it took 6 hours for both signs ...i had to assemble them when i blasted them i bisket joined them together.

i used a 5/32 tip with a 150lb pressure pot at 80psi...i have a ton of pictures all along the way..blasting..carving...installation....

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya, Chris!

That IS a BIG'un!

I'm curious, how you went about carving out the insides of them big/*\ss letters! [Wink]

...and, it had to have been quite the challenge, to maneuver, house, carve and paint these suckers, eh? Do tell...

Nice job!

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! The faux woodgrain looks much better then the one GrainFraim job I did. I imagine you set up your own wire jig. Can you tell us more about that, or show us?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Chris! I have also used panel clips for installs but the panels were no where near that big how did you attach them to the back of the HDU?

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

good to here from you Cheryl....thanks Janette

well...i added a "how done" page on my site. click on the picture in the blasted and carved page and you will see the new button. includes the installation using the Panelclips.

i used the sandblast stencil to as a pattern to carved through. I used a router with a v-bit that was set for the thinnest stroke and it also determined my depth, and so i carved to that depth only..i layed it out on my shop floor with no room to spare. it comsumed my shop.

All the stencil were hand cut and the patterns were made on paper on my computer useing the tile function and then pounced with my electro ponce.

doug..
i made the grain frame my self..it is a 4x8 frame made from angle iron and fench wire...since the wire is not tight the pattern is more natural...i also put some bends in it.

the installation went so well using the panel clips and the bisket joiner on the seams. I stud mounted the fish.

thanks all for your question...i want to tell and show as many people that want to see it.

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

dennis...i used stainless steel screws and construction adhesive.

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks chris [Smile]

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, thanks for the replies, I would want to show that off as well [Smile]

I'll be checking out that how-to

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!