Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » how would you handle this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how would you handle this?
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer who had his work truck lettered 3 weeks ago. I still have not been paid. I see him at the local coffee shop a few days ago and he begins to tell me his wife does not like the font of the secondary copy. He was at our shop twice looking at design ideas and gave the final approval. This is a digital print, laminated, and installed in a one piece layout. Now, to redo the smaller text it is a COMPLETE redo.

How would you handle this???

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small Claims Court!

Wife doesn't like = he doesn't intend to pay tou!

How many times have you read, on here, YOU DON"T LET WORK LEAVE YOUR SHOP UNTIL YOU GET PAID!!!!

[Bash] [Bash] [Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he approved & signed off on the design, it's his, baby.
I hate the old "wife doesn't like it" line.
That's probably how he got his new kitchen cabinets for free too.
Si is right.
Either that or peel it off now while it's still fresh & write it off as a loss.
You shoulda kept his keys until he paid you.
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry,

I would inform him now is not the time to make any changes from the original job price. When he pays the original bill then and only then will you consider making any changes and at an additional cost. take a picture of the job and get yourself ready for small claims court.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met with him a few minutes ago. I am redoing the doors, but getting additional $$$$. The last time he forgot his checkbook. I won't let it happen again. This is the first time for a LONG time I haven't been paid before the job left.

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Just go ahead and make the sign that says:

All roosters must be accompanied by hens . . ."

LOL.

QUOTE: "He was at our shop twice looking at design ideas and gave the final approval."

Jerry by 'FINAL APPROVAL' does that mean you got a SIGNATURE??
I hope so. Otherwise you might not have a hen to stand on in small claims . . . [Razz]

I have had this 'my wife' thing happen so many times it ain't even funny . . .ya know, it's normally a wonderful thing, how influential wives are . . .except that sometimes they are influential over the stupidest things....

I'm afraid I have embarrassed one or two fellas by makin' comments and askin' questions . . here's a few you of mine you can use . . .always said with a condescending smile & a chuckle . . .and sometimes I say ALL of these to ONE guy . . .LOL ...poor fella!! . . .His little wife' already stripped him of his manhood and then I'm tryin' to give it back to him by strippin' him again . . . LOL . . .but it's just that the ol' mama lion's gotta look out for herself and her cubs...I got WAY more motivation to get paid than he's got for dawgin' me out . . . [Wink]

I'm not even 'kind'a kiddin' about these statements either . . .

~"Well unless this is HER name you signed here...you are past due on the account. Otherwise, I'm gonna call HER and I ain't gonna be as sweet as you are . . ."

~Who wears the pants in your business?? Well...ya should'a sent HER over here to order the signs then..."

~"Is she the one that's gonna be present in small claims court?"

(Jerry, pat him on the back and say....(If yer a woman you can do this...
~Pat him on the hand and say, "Well...just tell her that you're a big boy now, and YOU already made the decision on this layout and SHE'S JUST gonna HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT."

~"I reckon I can understand you wussin' out on me...since she's able to make you wus out on me. . .so I guess I gotta be MORE inlfuential than HER huh??"

"Tell ya what . . .I'm not too keen on gettin' involved in domestic issues....so...you just pay me....then you and her can hash this out at y'alls house . . ."

Jerry, I have never failed to be paid when confronting a man (or even a woman with an arrogant husband) in this manner . . .usually they laugh and realize how silly and unprofessional they've been...and all without me having to be ugly or get in a fuss, or got to court.

Also women put up with craziness off their husbands too . . .but I won't . . .

I'll never foregt this dude and his wife drove up and he wanted me to letter the back window of his dually . . .huge, big ol' pipe welder guy . . .
as I was layin' out the stuff, they stood and watched and we were all talkin'....but anytime she commented or asked anything...he would just talk to her like dirt and cuss her and then kind'a laugh about it . . .after a few minutes of this I realized this was HIM all the time and I stopped ...stood up and said. "I'm done. Y'all can leave now."

He said, "But you haven't even really started...it's like halfway done right??"

Then I said, "I ain't workin' for NOBODY that talks to somebody like you do her. If she puts up with your mouth, your arrogance, and your stupidity at home, that's y'all . . .but you're in my yard now and I ain't havin' it."

He 'bout cried and begged me to finish promising to be nice...so I did...and he was much nicer to her . . .and I noticed his wife seemed to hold her head up a little more too.

I ain't the marriage police & I don't go around jumpin' in people's domestic issues . . .but when they bring it to the shop or allow it to interfere with a job I been hired to do, then I will say what needs to be said...and more.

Good luck Jerry . . mabey he just needs another guy to give him his ...well, you know...them thangs back. . .LOL....don't be as guilty as he is of cowerin' down and feelin' 'hopeless' about gettin' paid. YOU gotta be the man and teach him to be one too . . .LOL.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, I LIKE YOU! [Smile]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kill the wife! lol

Depending on how long he's been married, he might even help, or even pay you more! hehehe

just kidding of course.....

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jerry,

Ya shoulda just told him "Bring it by the shop and I'll fix it."

Then, when he drops it off remove everything, call him back up and say "It's all done!"

When he comes back and his truck has nothing on it, should be a nice surprise.

Just tell him "Hey, you get what you pay for!" (Nothing!)

[Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Existing and potential futur customers need to like is advertising on the vehicle, NOT THE WIFE!
She will cost him money , while customers give him money!

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The slightest disparaging remark about one's wife could have unexpected results. Safest to leave her out of it. The pertinent facts are - you had an approved layout which you followed, and making changes now could get complicated. No need to angst over how it happened, (as long as we're clear it's not your fault), and there's 2 possible ways to fix it - redo completely (very expensive), or make a new strip to cover just the offending portion (far cheaper and quicker). How much does it really bother you?

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you redo it and his daughter doesn't like it [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
I'd just calmly explain to him that people have different tastes and that his wife not liking it is not a reflection on it's value or your workmanship, that he had the opportunity to change it before it was printed and that you require full payment. If you wish to give him a discount on a replacement, fine, but don't let guilt or pressure keep you from making a reasonable profit. Chances are this is going to be a PITA customer that may not be worth keeping.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant fault Jerry for not getting paid on the day he put on the signs. Sometimes you are caught in a situation where it happens as he described it. The one thing I would have done different was to call the guy the next day, and tell him to stop by with payment. Now they have had three weeks for his wife to nitpick the layout and she finds something wrong with the secondary copy. Tuff titties.
I cant count how many times Ive had problems with a customer because he brought his wife with him, and she changed everything we had agreed on, for the worse. I dont know if its a power trip thing, or if they just have bad taste. Whatever it is, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought about putting two signs in my shop showroom. One was, "PLEASE HOLD ON TO YOUR CHILDREN. MY PIT BULL UNDER THE COUNTER IS ASLEEP."
The other one was "PLEASE LEAVE YOUR WIFE AT HOME WHEN MAKING DECISIONS ABOUT SIGNS. SHE KNOWS MORE THAN I DO, AND I DONT WANT TO GET EMBARRASSED."

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila I like you too although I do think there are some times it's best to not insult the wife. Like when she's the one that writes the checks and he doesn't even know where the checkbook is kept. That being said, how about...

Gee, I didn't know your wife was in the sign business. Sorry dude, but the curiosity is killing me, forgive me for prying but since she's a sign professional, why isn't she the one lettering this truck? [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The slightest disparaging remark about one's wife could have unexpected results
...For who Joe...Me?...or HIM??..'Cause I definitely have his 'unexpected results.'..

and BTW: This goes for WHOEVER they drag into the deal...ie: '3 meetings-signature-approved-art-down-payment-job-complete' later and, uh-oh..."Well uh my business partner......Our committee chair person......The rich old coot who funds us.....WHOEVER.
SHOULD'A thought of them PRIOR to the COMMITTMENT...HELLO?

Hey I hear y'all . .. 'don't insult the wife . . .'

Sorry. Too bad so sad.

The cowering wus insults himself AND HER when he brings her into the deal as his excuse not to pay up . . .I simply make it plain with a little true-humor that I can't tolerate their shoddy & rude behavior. . .if they don't like my so called 'insulting' approach they can stop by for a visit with a marriage counsellor on the way to another shop . . . [Wink]

People bring this stuff to you ...you don't have to go lookin' for it . . .you just have to deal with it.

And to reiterate ...we're discussing people who are tardy with payment! . . .This is already an insult when you've been straight up and straight forward, sociabley business like, spent time to prepare ideas which have been approved, have contracted to conduct the business, spent more time & money to produce, and met your end of the deal!!

After that get's rudely tread upon, all bets are off as to my hospitality . . .

Of course, it's always obvious that you can change something for more bucks . . .but as far as I'm concerned, that's not open to discussion until after the original bucks are PIF on jobs where someone is fidgetin' around with the $$.

So, again, as hospitable as I can tell folks...
Don't start no mess...and there won't be no mess."

I'm so sorry y'all had to see me get SO red...but I just can't tolerate rude, coniving people who try to get out of paying their debts with silly excuses... since Jerry did ask, -» 'how would you handle this?'

[ February 19, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, this thread & your fixes to it is already worth the year's resident's fee- thanks for the novel approaches!

As John says, sometimes, you just get caught in this kind of situation. Generally though, I find human nature accommodating & signs leave here & the cheque arrives a week or two later with no problems.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one respond to this dilema?

First I whould ask if they can make a appointment to come in and dicuss their troubles.
Next, politely I whould ask if they mind to bring myself a Coffee!

After they have shown up with my coffee in hand I thank them and say......Now you have made a down payment on the work that has been done.
Please forgive myself but there is a matter of the rest of payment before we can resolve the issue.
Direct your conversation to the Wife only!

What is the problem with this line of copy? Is it the font style or do you believe that people can't read it?
If she says that problem is "can't read it" then go outside and grab 2 passing people to ask if this is true.
Their statement will be clear as they read the copy.

Now ask her if the font style was any concern as to people looking at it?

Walk back to your office and have an employee on hand to remove the graphics if needed.

Tell them that now the vehicle is on your property you have the right to remove all graphics if they refuse to pay the balance in full.

Case closed! No payment then removal!
Take the lose and inform them of your future telephone calls to others of their nit picking.... [For Your Information]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one happens all too often. It's best to leave the wife out of it, he's lived with this behavior for so long, pointing it out is only gonna rub salt in the wound.

Simply ask him to bring the truck in and leave it. Tell him to leave the keys, you might have to move it. Fix the offending line of copy in whatever fashion it takes, either replace it or do a total makeover. Charge him accordingly. Call and tell him the truck is ready, that the charge is $$$xxx and do to the difficulty you had in regards to mayment prior, you will only except cash. DO NOT hand him the keys until you get payment.
Get the ball in your court, the game is much easier to play [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baseball bat on the headlights...

...but that's just me.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thermonuclear device ,, in gas tank

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The cowering wus insults himself AND HER when he brings her into the deal as his excuse not to pay up."

Amen, Sheila.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!