Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Documenting your vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Documenting your vinyl
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

I do alot of jobs and wonder where the vinyl came from. (failures, color matches, whatever) What I normally do is for each roll of vinyl I order in, upon receiving it, on an address label I write date, supplier, color name and color number and stick the label inside the roll avail for quick reference.

Today when I used some vinyl, I jotted down on the work order, all the above info including the date. (I normally didn't do the date thing until today) This way the vinyl is easy to track should you require the info.

I should also add, I also have a binder reserved for new orders. Each supplier has it's own tab. I always fax my orders so it's on paper and I put the document in there along with the copy of the invoice so it's easy to find, price check, whatever.

Anyway, thought I would share my brainwave for the day. [Smile] Let's hope I never have to use this info!

(edited for typos)

[ January 31, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info. Any "batch" numbers on vinyl?

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1895 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... not to my knowlege. I was hoping that if I at least documented the dates, if need be the supplier would have that info. I just looked on the sales order and they don't offer batch numbers. Good thought...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most manufacturers will put a label inside the roll with the lot number on it, but it also depends if you're buying stuff that's sold exactly as it is shipped by the manufacturer in original packaging, or material that's run off larger rolls or converted in other ways by the supplier.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my rolls have that label inside, to which I add the date (mo-yr), & approximately how many feet are left. (no jokes please)

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Bill, and I thought I was organized! [Smile]

I get alot of cut offs so that's where I lose that info.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the remaining amount on the app tape on outside. My rolls come with the other info inside the roll.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto's that Kissy.

I also write on the work order exactly which type/colour(s) vinyl was used on all copy.

Also, paint types, brands and colour samples...especially when it's a custom mixed colour...just dob a splotch of it in the corner of the work order, or if many, on a separate sheet and attach to it... [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!