Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need Help - make file from Corel 10 that will import into Fireworks MX as a vector???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help - make file from Corel 10 that will import into Fireworks MX as a vector???
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me how to do this? I know I've done it before but it's been so long I can't remember.

So far I have tried to export from CorelDraw 10 as earlier versions of CorelDraw without any compression and with compression, tried exporting as early versions of Illustrator (.ai), tried as a .png and even tried copy/paste and I still haven't figured it out.

I know it has to be something stupid!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Myers
Resident

Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Myers   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Myers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe with fireworks I have had the best luck exporting it as a Windows Metafile (WMF)

--------------------
Keith Myers
SignOn Enterprises
222 E. 3rd St
Burkburnett, TX 76354
940-569-3000
keith@signonsigns.com
www.SignOnSigns.com

Posts: 149 | From: Burkburnett, Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you tried saving it as "eps" and then Importing into Fireworks?

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Moon   Email The Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with WMF for vector files in Windows Land. @ least that's the file type I've had the least amount of problems with... because You KNOW there's gonna be problems when playing with file types and more than one program. (Murphy's Law)

The Windows Warrior-ess side of the Moon [Wink]

--------------------
The Moon
aka: Stefenie Harris
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
learnin' somethin' new every day!
stefenie@comcast.net

Posts: 550 | From: Pollock Pines, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think it is possible to do what you are asking I just had a look and Fireworks converts everything to a bitmapped file format in Fireworks. Also if you work in Fireworks and draw a vector object and try cutting and pasting into Corel it turns into a bitmapped format.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Keith
Visitor
Member # 4499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Keith   Email Jack Keith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy;

There is an article on the Signcraft website by Dan Antonelli detailing how he used Fireworks in conjunction with Signlab. It was printed in the May/June 2001 issue if you have that one. As he explains the steps are pretty much the same for Corel, Illustrator, etc. I tried out Fireworks after reading the article with the version of Corel I had then (10) and it worked great for me (thanks Dan!). I have had problems importing .eps files into Corel if I import as an encapsulated postscript file (eps) but importing as a postscript interpreted (also eps) works well. I seem to remember that problem only exists in ver 11 & 12 though.

Hope some of this helps.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Keith
Keith Signs and Graphics
12400 Stemmons Drive
Cabool, MO 65689

Posts: 131 | From: Cabool, MO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be done because I've done it before.

Jack, I only have back to Sept/Oct 2001. Can you provide any insight?

Thanks everyone. I've tried all suggestions so far!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, when I use illustrator to do stuff for Fireworks, I save it as an eps, then import into fireworks. Fireworks 3 would allow you to use ai files, but Fireworks MX seems to want only eps files. WHen you import, it still acts as a vector file, so you can break it apart, etc. It changes to a raster file when you apply the effects from eye candy or whatever.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Keith
Visitor
Member # 4499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Keith   Email Jack Keith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy;

Yep...go to http://www.signcraft.com/features.asp then click on then click on the first how-to article, "Add Dimension to Your Lettering with a Click" and that will open the pdf file of the article. You could also right-click on that article and save it to your computer where you can open it whenever without being online. That of course supposes you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Most everyone does these days but, if not, you can find a link to download it free on the same Signcraft web page. Let me know how that works for you.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Keith
Keith Signs and Graphics
12400 Stemmons Drive
Cabool, MO 65689

Posts: 131 | From: Cabool, MO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Keith
Visitor
Member # 4499

Amy;

Pardon the repeat of "then click on" in the first sentence of that last post...eat up with dumbness, I suppose. Anyway, if you have any trouble accessing the article on Signcraft's website, let me know and I'll be glad to email it to ya.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Keith
Keith Signs and Graphics
12400 Stemmons Drive
Cabool, MO 65689

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!