Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mikes Flames in Print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mikes Flames in Print
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is killing me to ask ANYTHING about Mikes flame jobs, but I am hoping to avert a disaster.

I know that I had received a magazine, probably one of the sign biz or sign builder magazines awhile back which was probably the first time that I saw his "TruFire" work in print, all I can remember is that it was a black vehicle that he had the flames coming out the side vents of the hood. I wanted to find this to show a buddy of mine some of what is entailed in doing that kind of work, he thinks he can just pick up an airbrush today and do his truck tomorrow (yeah Right!). I know I have it but cannot locate it. Any help would be appreciated since I havent seen Mike online to ask him where I saw it.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might find the info on his website. If not, going to his website is worth it either way.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here you go:
http://www.signweb.com/fabrication/cont/deuceswild.html

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta (WATCH) him perform his magic in person
Just for the Thrill of it

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may have been in AutoArt or perhaps Airbrush Action. I have a copy of whatever it was in, but it sure would be alot easier if I had a clue which box to start looking for it in.

Meanwhile I keep looking for it, Hopefully I will find it by tomorrow afternoon.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article in was airbrush action Harris. I never saw it myself, only heard several references to it, for some reason I thought the signweb article was the same, but that was just a guess. Hope that gets you to the right box [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it!

if your looking for something and your looking really hard, you might not find it. I must have looked at that magazine 5 times and said NO WAY it cant be that old of an article. The magazine dates back to 2000.

Anyway thank you for your assitance.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
pigment where its got to
go."

Doug Fielder
Visitor
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Fielder   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Fielder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was either the first re-issue of AutoGraphics or the second issue. Either way, it was Auto Graphics. I keep mine in the shop and am just getting ready myself to bang out some real fire!
As for what it takes, HOK BC White, BC lemon yellow, BC Molly Orange, PBC Tangerine, Red, Yellow and Tangerine Candys, and he uses some PBC Passion Purple as a finish. Right off the bat, that is major dollars to invest to just "TRY" it. Tell your friend, GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
Doug Fielder
Fallout Grafix
Port St. Lucie, FL

16 years with a brush in my hand...

Posts: 273 | From: Port St. Lucie, FL | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Fielder
Visitor
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Fielder   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Fielder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was either the first re-issue of AutoGraphics or the second issue. Either way, it was Auto Graphics. I keep mine in the shop and am just getting ready myself to bang out some real fire!
As for what it takes, HOK BC White, BC lemon yellow, BC Molly Orange, PBC Tangerine, Red, Yellow and Tangerine Candys, and he uses some PBC Passion Purple as a finish. Right off the bat, that is major dollars to invest to just "TRY" it. Tell your friend, GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
Doug Fielder
Fallout Grafix
Port St. Lucie, FL

16 years with a brush in my hand...

Posts: 273 | From: Port St. Lucie, FL | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Edward Jordan
Visitor
Member # 5495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Edward Jordan   Email Mark Edward Jordan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could someone please give me mikes web site i loved his trufire paintings on the vehicles please send to spell_weaver69@hotmail.com

--------------------
Mark Jordan
B2B Couriers
67 Drummond Street, Urangan, Hervey Bay Queensland Australia

Posts: 1 | From: Queensland Australia | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it was an October issue of Airbrush Action.

If you really want to show him what goes into those paint jobs, Mike's new HOW-TO DVD is now available.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... and it is/was....
The Sept-Oct 2002 issue of AUTOgraphics, pages 8-14, an article called "Burn, baby burn".

The cover is a black car with a turbocharger in the bonnet (hood?), and flames from the wheel arches & front.

Good luck!

(Mark, it's at his website- www.killergraphics.com

I think) (edit to remove a comma from the URL.)

[ February 11, 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

FYI I posted on Janmuary 9th that i did find what I was looking for, but I will still thank you people for the effort and anything new on this subject is great to put up here for everyone to enjoy.

Lets have fun, I know of a PT Cruiser that needs flames

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
pigment where its got to
go."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!