Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How's this sound? (letter)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How's this sound? (letter)
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heads.

Just got ripped off with a sketch-stealer. Wrote this letter & am about to mail it. Comments?

quote:
Dear Mr. -

I noticed that new signs have gone up at your business. I also noticed the similarity of the signs to the sketch I gave to you on November 16, 2004.

I am enclosing an invice for a sketch fee of $25.00 as listed on my proposal, which you signed off on.

This is precisely why I rarely hand out sketches. I am also deeply regretful of the hour that I spent refining the sketch after you left. I was sure that you would be purchasing signage from my company. I guess the lesson that I learned about giving out sketches is far more valuable than the $25 I know that you will never pay me.

Happy Holidays.
Jill M. Welsh

Opinions?
Thanks & Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is fine except the amount, raise it up considerably more.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take out the "I know that you will never pay me" part. You earned that money, now act like you expect to receive it! Don't let him off the hook that easily!

Good for you.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
It sounds like you are already resolved that he won't pay you. Change that. Copyright begins as soon as you lay pencil to paper (or mouse to pad).

Charge him no less than $100, and let him know that Copyright infringement is a serious issue that you intend to pursue (but you would rather not). Those penatlies can run into the thousands for him AND the company that reproduced your work. Again there is no amount of "slight variation" allowed if the work is obviously yours.

Look at the Copyright section on my website, at the bottom, Copyright FAQ, and use some quotes if needed. All are welcome to use any of that info.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
Unfortunately, you probably won't get paid for your work. People who steal designs usually don't have the integrity to do the right thing. As for your letter, one thing that jumps out at me is the low cost of your sketch... $25.00 is a real bargain! You might want to also include a copy of his/her signature on the sketch and a copy of the "small claims court" form that you will be filing if the bill is not paid. I wouldn't waste too much more time on this guy, it's already a loss for you, why make it a bigger loss? If it really bothers you, you might want to find out who made the sign and send them a note about "Copy Right" infringments.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Mr. Ahole,
While I appreciate that you chose to use the design that I had produced for your signage, there are now some issues that we need to finalize.
As I'm sure you realize, you are liable for the $25 sketch fee that you had agreed to.

What you probably don't realize though is that you have infringed on Copyright of the design I provided by having the sign produced by another company. I have not released the Copyright to you by simply providing a sketch. You have also involved another company in this suit, so you may wish to discuss this with them, to help satisfy a portion of the amount stated below.

Rather than having to go through the process of a civil lawsuit, I would appreciate remuneration in the amount of $150 additional and I will release the Copyright on my design to you.

Please remit the total $175.00 by December 15, 2004, or I will have no other recourse than to advance with legal procedure.

Sincerely,
Jillbeans

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Guys. I knew I could count on you.
I eliminated that line about never getting the $$.
My proposals are older, and they say
"If you use this artwork but do not order signs from us, Jill's Custom Signs will bill you" and the sketch fee says $25, so I'm limited to that.
What rankles me is that he used my ideas, wasted my time, and paid good money to someone else (a franchise of course) for an easy job.
The sketch I did give him was a non-color draft only, but it was still my idea.
It's in the mailbox right now.
I still won't hold my breath!
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the above is great advice, Jill. At LEAST $50-100 on that sketch fee on your NEW forms. You might take a photo of the existing signs and include it with the original sketch and the court forms that you intend to file. The small claims court is easy to do...just takes time, which is kind of a drag. I HAVE done it though and when I got in front of the judge, he said to the guy, "Did you do this to this lady? Pay her!" PLUS, then he had to pay court costs which was more that the bill! hehehehehe If nothing else it teaches them they can't push people around and be buttheads.
Don't be "regretful" about your time..."I'm so sorry that you saw fit to take advantage of my good nature and willingness to be helpful." would be more to the point. Add "If this issue is not resolved by (set a time limit) I will be filing court papers at the ______ County Courthouse."
I would also send a copy of your sketch and photo of the sign to the sign company who put it up. Then I would call them and ask them nicely (at first) what gives. Who knows, they might be as upset about the guy "bamboozling" them as you are. I would approach it from that side first and explain to them that you just know they wouldn't take someone else's sketch "intentionally" but are they aware that you did the sketch?
Hey, don't let people take advantage of you! You DESERVE to be paid for what you did.
In the future, make sure your name is PROUDLY displayed on your sketches. I have a stamp that I put somewhere that it can't be missed, not in a corner where it can be covered when they photo copy it and fax it to every sign co. in the area. Ask me how I learned to do this!!! Been there, done that! Didn't like it much either!!

[ December 07, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many words and you don't need to include an explanation pouring your hurt feelings all over the place.

Get that letter out of the mailbox and throw it away.

Make up an invoice and print a copy of the proposal then highlight the line about the sketch fee and include that with the invoice.

That's all the explanation needed!

Drop that in the mailbox and wash your hands of it.

If you miss a credit card payment or a mortgage payment, do you get a letter from the bank saying "Oh woa-is-us, we have so many people missing their payments so PLEASE remit yours as soon as you can."

No, you get a letter stating "If you don't pay us, we're going to take your house back, send a collections agent over for your property, or freeze all your banking accounts."

Take your feelings out of the equation, go "stoneface" and treat it like a business, because that's all it is!

Quit giving your "customers" the power to run your gig.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene

I love the part about releasing the copyrights for an additional $150. I was going to add that I can't believe people, but nothing shocks me anymore.

I raise my price when someone brings in a design from another shop, after telling them I will not copy the design. Lately I have been emailing a lot of proofs. It saves them time of coming to my shop, and me the time of talking with them 3 times. I always have a 'This design is property of Pro Sign Design' printed lightly ovet the top of the sign layout.

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, do you have the 'Property of Jill's Custom Signs' disclaimer on the sketches? If not, I'd make sure it's there from here on.

I'd second the idea of sending a letter to the franchise.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Upchurch
Visitor
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Upchurch   Email Jim Upchurch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would follow Mike Pipes advice, it's a business. Since your design fee was so low I probably wouldn't pursue it, I doubt you could get more if that's all they were agreeing to but if you wanted to rattle their cage a little I would add to the invoice that if payment isn't recieved in 10 days you will collect via small claims court, which includes process service fees and court costs.

--------------------
Jim Upchurch
Artworks
Olympia WA

Posts: 797 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wierd...is the franchise shop THAT much lower in price?

For awhile I've considered the plight of the average policeman as: 1/3 cop, 1/3 psycologist, & 1/3 lawyer.

Maybe the plight of the sign people is becoming the same...Wierd.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have sparked me to once again change my workorder verbage. this is now the long version:

ALL ITEMS LISTED IN THIS PROPOSAL REMAIN PROPERTY OF PRO SIGN DESIGN UNTIL PAID IN FULL. 50% DEPOSIT REQUIRED, BALANCE DUE ON COMPLETION. ALL MATERIAL IS GUARANTEED TO BE AS SPECIFIED. ALL WORK IS TO BE COMPLETED IN A WORKMAN LIKE MANNER ACCORDING TO STANDARD PRACTICES. ANY DEVIATION FROM THE ABOVE SPECIFICATIONS INVOLVING EXTRA COSTS WILL ONLY BE EXECUTED UPON WRITTEN ORDER, AND WILL BECOME AN EXTRA CHARGE OVER AND ABOVE THIS ESTIMATE. ALL AGREEMENTS CONTINGENT UPON ACCIDENTS OR DELAYS BEYOND OUR CONTROL. ALL SIGN PERMITS ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PROPERTY OWNER. PRO SIGN DESIGN ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR INSTALLING SIGNS WITH NO PERMITS. DESIGNS / LAYOUTS PRODUCED BY PRO SIGN DESIGN REMAIN THE COPYRIGHTED PROPERTY OF PRO SIGN DESIGN AND MAY NOT BE COPIED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION. A MINIMUM CHARGE OF $200 WILL BE BILLED FOR DESIGN TIME IF THIS DESIGN IS REPRODUCED BY INDIVIDUALS OTHER THAN PRO SIGN DESIGN.

feel free to copy!! [Wink]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea for the future would be not to release the sketch without a deposit:

"Oh, you want to take the sketch home to show it to your wife? No problem, that's $50, just a deposit, you know, it will count against your final bill".

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Jill,

Check the spelling on "invoice". ...and talk to a lawyer.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
why waste your time? is it just to tell this guy he's a jerk? not worth it.

if you want the $25, then send him an invoice, with a copy of the signed order and the "sketch fee" part highlighted with a yellow marker.

in the end, it pays to be professional about this sort of thing.

(i understand your bitterness and frustration --we've all felt it at one time or another-- but it doesn't get any better by mailing it out to others.)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did send it.
I copied the signed proposal and highlighted it.
Mailed it along with the invoice (spelt right)
I know I shoulda left the emotions out,
but if anything, I FEEL BETTER NOW.
And that was worth the 37¢!
Love....Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, be sure to let us know as soon as the cheque arrives!

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W. R.

Why involve an attorney? Kinda overkill. This is a small issue better settled between two professional business people. Good job Jill. I hope it works. Keep us posted

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRAY for your enemys(they HATE that)all the while YOU become a better person.
Don't lower yourself to his level.

Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't anyone charge for design upfront? I always say, give your work away, the customer will think it has no value.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I agree with Pat-Pray for your enemies! Yea, when they are nasty to you, as long as you keep your own self clean, they reap what they sow. Works for me, & I get blessed!

When I first started my business, I took some layouts to a small restaurant up the road. She got back to me about a year later, wanting more layouts. Well, I had gotten better at it by then, & had given her some really nice ones, but the price was a bit higher because of the work involved, & I was a bit smarter. Well, I never heard from her, & lo & behold, there is the very first layout I had done for her, on her "new" sign, same lettering, colors, etc., & it looked AWFUL!!!! Obviously she had taken it to someone else, & that is fine with me! I am glad my name is not on it!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, when/if that happens to me, I make a courtesy call first and verbally talk to them, and ask them to provide a PO# so I can place it on the invoice. Sometimes they really are too 'dumb' to understand the initial contract and this is all it takes.

It's better to make a friend out of them than an enemy. You are much more likely to get your money in the end.

Just a note too: ALL my clientelle are long time repeat so I rarely run into this. The ones that do it are telling me they are shopping around. Duley noted, they now enter a realm of different clientelle, the type I'm not as generous with in the future. So sorry for them.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things I learned when I was a manager of a drafting department for a national corporation was the inclusion of "Proprietary Drawing" printed on each drawing supplied to a customer. Underneath was an explanation of what a proprietary drawing is, and how the customer would be charged financially, and even criminally if needed, for unauthorized use of the drawings supplied.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've all done as Jill did. Customer comes in, wants a sketch, we need the job, so we do a little sketch to maybe push the customer our way. More than not, it works. But then along comes Buster the body crab and breaks the string.
I learned a lesson a few years ago about this, so now no sketches leave my shop without a deposit, usually 100 bucks. IF they back off on that, then they arent serious about the signwork.
I had a guy do me this exact way, many years back.I did a sketch, needed the work, he wanted to show it to his wife. Here we go now...
He Took it to a vinyl shop and they tried their best to reproduce it, but missed it pretty bad. It was close enough for me though. After a couple phone calls to the vinyl shop that used the sketch, and the owner of the truck,and a few expletives, I got my sketch fee, and they got schooled.
Strangest thing, the guy actually came to me a couple years later for another job, I told him I was too busy.
Do whatever makes you feel good Jill, but get paid!
Raise your sketch fee too. You deserve to be paid.
[Smile]

[ December 08, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: John Deaton III ]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck geting paid!

I think praying for them sounds cool.

I've also heard that egg is very hard to wash off after it dries.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!