Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Thanks Letterville Friends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanks Letterville Friends
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to a cancellation, I had a little spare time today. I decided it would be a good time to tuff-up and go through my Mom's papers deciding what to throw away and what to keep. I haven't been able to do this since Mom passd away in September of 2003.

It was not an easy task. Throwing away some things would be like throwing away part of my Mom or Dad. Dad passed away in 2000 and some of his stuff had been kept by Mom at that time.

As I was starting to think about how much I miss both of them I ran across something that really helped a lot.

Troy Haas had posted about Mom's passing when it happened. I had printed the post and replies, and stuck it in the back of one of the drawers. Reading those replies felt just as good today as it did last year.

I am not sure if I said thanks to anyone at that time, so I wanted to be sure to do it now. It means a lot to have friends to lean on when times get tough.

Thanks Letterville

BTW... I did put the printout of replies back in with the things I am keeping.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a VERY GOOD feeling to have "Friends" that care and help supprt yyou in times of need!

We will be praying for you and yours

Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate Don. When we first announced Cody's birth and adoption story, the replies were very heartfelt. I printed the thread and put it in Cody's memory book. I read through them the other day. WOW. Brought back a flood of wonderful memories.

It's wonderful having the support here that we all do!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya got a friend here!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, my dad passed 17 years ago and just yesterday I put his collection of POGO books on e-bay. It will never be easy for anyone to part with a loved ones possessions. I have scaled down tremendously the past 2 years. The last two hurricanes helped quite a bit though!!!! There are still shoeboxes of papers that Mother will not go through...... like check stubs from 40 years ago!!!
Just continue to hang tuff and draw on the strength from your loved ones.

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I can totally identify with you and what your dealin' with.

Over Thanksgiving, I went thru some more of my parents stuff (I also lost my Dad Nov.30,2003... my Mom, Jan.22,2001)

I went to my Mom's sister's for Thanksgiving and was able to get her to identify some cool old pics and show her a letter she and my gran'pa wrote my Mom . . .dated Aug.15, 1948. Pretty cool keepsake.

. . .Looking at lots of old pictures and wishing I'd listened closer to the stories behind them...or the ones I wish I'd ever even heard a story about . . .

I've gotten some picture albums to organize the endless boxes of pictures and interesting 'scraps'...

Also, the WORK of dealing with paper-work and wondering WHAT to keep or throw away . . .not really sure if something is VERY important.

Still feelin' a tad angry that they KEPT so much stuff, and did'nt cull it out themselves in the 40+ years they lived in that one house, and that I've had to do it alone...
You got back and forth thru so many emotions . . .
Angry then sentimental then tired then interested.

I have a stack of stuff that I'm gonna make my brother to figure out when I visit him soon.

I still have an entire 8' table in my dining room FULL of stuff and the beginnings of several stacks- separating and organizing.

It's all very difficult work, but has helped me to realize that I'm NOT going to leave it crazy like that for my kids. I really wanna leave them with clear, organized stuff.

[ December 02, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi don. I too lost both of my parents in 2000 36 days apart. My mother first and 36 days later my daddy.

Going through their lifetime (cleaning the house out) is a very emotional experience. You run across things to laugh about and then cry.

I am a master pack rat (as was my father). I still have most of my parents possessions packed up in boxes and stored in the back of my shop. There is nothing valuable there, but it my parents "Stuff" and I just can't bring myself to part with it. It is all that is left of my parents life.

One of these days I will bring myself to get rid of this stuff. My son is not a sentimental person and doesn't understand why I want this stuff, but I can relate to every item that is packed away.

So much for the gloom and doom. Just wanted you to know you are not alone in this experience.

Take care. Hope to see you in Illinois again this next summer.

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Parr
Visitor
Member # 3868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Parr   Email Dave Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don,

I couldn't help think, while reading your last post, of a place a guy like you might find to think and reflect. I always found the catwalk of a tower on a nice day a heck of a place to look out across the world and think. Kind of like sitting out in the woods, but with a different view. (Of course, that was during break time only!)

Hey, I hope you and yours have a nice Christmas. [Smile]

Dave Parr

--------------------
Dave Parr
Sign Painter
USA

Posts: 709 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, When you started this post it reminded me of when my Mom & Dad died. [Frown] Bill wrote such a nice summary of my parents and everyone answered with their sympathies. It really DID mean a lot to me that my friends here were so kind so I did a search, went back and printed them out and put them in my drawer with important papers. (That was a great idea, by the way.) I know what you mean about our friends here, some of whom I have yet to meeet face to face. It feels good to know that we area all connected and care about each other. (Cue violins... [Wink] ) And the ones that we HAVE met, it just makes it that much sweeter.
Love you guys~!~!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,
I can empathize. When my dad died (it'll be 3 years next Thursday actually) I went back to NJ to clean out his house/studio. Being an only child on one hand was great because I got to make all of the decisions and the other hand was that I had to do it all by myself.

I got a truck and a dumpster and put them side-by-side. I gave away quite a bit of his stuff but the rest went either in the truck to come back to CA or in the dumpster.

Now that I have a lot of it back here, I find myself constantly going through it and as the years are passing, it's been easier and easier to let go of some of it.

Right after my dad died, his mentor (Bob Wendlandt of Bob's Signs in Englishtown, NJ and Sarasota, FLA) emailed me to tell me about a post that had been made here. I answered that post and have been here ever since.

I had a very tumultuous relationship with my father. He wasn't the easiest person to get along with for long periods of time but we had our moments. By being here with all of you on such a regular basis, I am able to focus on the "Letterhead" side of him which was creative, fun and relaxed. Fun and relaxed weren't words often associated with him - he was your typical tempermental artist - but when he was doing Letterhead stuff - going to meets, talking to many of you - that was when he allowed himself to enjoy life.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!