Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » special project, I need your experienced help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: special project, I need your experienced help!
Mike Lavallee
Visitor
Member # 320

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Lavallee   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Lavallee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,
I have a show car sign I'm doing that I have an idea for the base for that I need your help in figuring out how to make. here's the plan, the car is a 39 chevy called blue ice, I have the steel already made for the sign,(oval shaped, angled flat on the bottom side so when it sits in the base it'll be at an alngle to the side)

I want the base to look like big chunks of ice, I want to make it out of some sort of acrylic, my plan was to carve the rough buck out of sign foam then make a rubber mold off of it, then take the sign foam out and them use some the mold with layers of the stuff till I got kind of pourable acrylic and coat the inside of something like an ice shell, (kinda like a chocolate easter rabbit) then [Thanks] I was going to frost the inside to make it not transparent but still glossy on the outside. then I was going to use some inexpensive blue twinkle Christmas lights to give the base a neat frosted blue look.
now I need the base to be strurdy but not bullet proof. am I on the right track? I'm trying to keep this simple and not get into melting plastic over anything because I don't have the facility for that sort of operation. have any of you done anything remotely close to this? thanks, Mike

--------------------
Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, And Dance like no one's watching. :)
Mike Lavallee
Mike Lavallee's Pinstriping & Airbrush Art
Everett, WA

Posts: 449 | From: Everett, WA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, no experience there, but it sounds awesome! I can see it in my mind. I was thinking something that used fiberglass resin, but on second thought, it's probably too yellow-ish.

I saw this post, and I wondered HE'S asking for help?? I'd expect it the other way around. You do nice work.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Sheflo
Visitor
Member # 3608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Sheflo   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Sheflo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did a bit of digging from my past fascination with model railroads and the artificial lakes used in the scenery. That search led me to taxidermy products leading to this...

Artificial Water/Ice

Seems like it can do what you want. A bit pricey if you need large amount, but its only money! [Smile]

Hope this helps!

Mark

--------------------
Mark Sheflo
Renton, Washington
A-Squared Signs, LLC

Posts: 145 | From: Renton, Washington | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking along the same lines as Mark, or another thought would be the stuff used for Doming, but I believe that would be MUCh more expensive than the casting resin method.
$34.00 per gallon for casting resin is actually not that bad in the whole scheme of things

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Melting the plastic can be done chemically.

Try this...
Using white acrylic sheeting, dump a solvent like acetone or laquer thinner onto it and bag it. It should give you the texture you want, similar to how paint would look.
Backlighting it would look cool.

Just a thought...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike, the first thing that comes to mind is a block or blocks of clear acrylic. You could rough up the edges to look like ice and they would be heavy
enough to carry the weight.

Good luck.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flame polished surfaces?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No ideas for the cubes, Mike, but try to procure a bit of dry ice or a small fog machine for the show to make things look REALLY chilly!
Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mike,

Here are a couple more products that might help in your display...

http://www.iasco-tesco.com/S_GLOSS/S_GLOSS.htm

http://www.iasco-tesco.com/EZCAST/EZCAST.htm

This same company has some smaller clear acrylic cubes for sale.

You can also use the slovent, Methylene Chloride to desolve and bond acrylic material.

[ December 01, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARRRGHHH...I can't believe I typed for 10 minutes only to have the computer disconnect and loose the following...oh well!

At any rate...Years ago we had a call for "ice"...here's what we did...cut pieces of plexiglass into squares (not perfect) some 1/8" some 1/4" then arrange them on a cookie sheet lined with mylar...fill the sheet (over the top of the mass) with methylene Chloride...let it all melt to the configuration you want then poke a hole in the cookie sheet and let the "meth" drain out.

Let the piece set over nite...also the night before shred some white plexiglass into a container and melt it down with "meth" we applied this concoction with ketchup bottles (with the piece standing on edge) so we could control the flow over the cubes...but it ocurrs to me now that you could thin this white material and possibly spray it on with an airbrush (don't use your good one) you can clean it out with Methylene chloride later but will likely be tough on the seals.

At the time we also used some of the "rattle can" frostings available at the craft stores but had to clear over it to make it hold up.

A little blue and green transparent basecoat highlights and shades with the air brush and I'll bet you'll have it.

Let us know what you do and please post some pics of the finished product.

Hope this all made sense...good luck!

[ December 01, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Monte, said........It will work.

CrazyJack...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Build an acrylic box for the main support to take the weight, then make the blocks just more of a facade that don't carry any weight but their own.

Skip the sign foam (unless you have it on-hand). Glue up sheets of styrofoam to make the blocks then either carve them or spray with acetone to melt it.

Apply a soft brushable mold rubber, doesn't have to be thick because you can add a plaster or fiberglass support shell once the rubber has cured, which will help hold the shape.

Use a clear casting resin. Polyester is cheap, Urethane is nice (and UV stable) although $130 for 2 gallons mixed.
Using a resin with a short pot life, you could mix up a big batch in a shallow container, then pour it into the mold and "slosh" it around to coat all the sides. You'll have to do a few applications like this to build up the thickness.

check out www.smooth-on.com or www.industrialpolymers.com for the materials.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
Sometimes it's faster to draw a picture.
Here's an idea for you.

One of our plastic suppliers had made some shelves like this out of thick acrylic and chipped the edges up. They flame polished it then took a grinder to the back and gouged it all up.
This left the acrylic shiny on the front and and milky white with the grinder marks looking like cracks and such. It really looked like ice with the light coming through it although not clear.

Hope this helps.
 -

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Lavallee
Visitor
Member # 320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Lavallee   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Lavallee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys, I think i can take it from here! I'll let you know how it works out. Mike

--------------------
Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, And Dance like no one's watching. :)
Mike Lavallee
Mike Lavallee's Pinstriping & Airbrush Art
Everett, WA

Posts: 449 | From: Everett, WA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie uses the "blocks" of glass that can be purchased at any HQ,Lowes,etc used in building walss in bathrooms!
Looks like cubes and is paintable

Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!