Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What do you have planned for Dec-Jan-Feb?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you have planned for Dec-Jan-Feb?
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
December, January, and February are typically fairly slow months in the sign business...which (in my view) makes for a great opportunity. Here are some helpful suggestions for taking full advantage.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Faulkner
Visitor
Member # 2511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Faulkner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Faulkner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in times of peace.... prepare for war!

this is good advice Jon! [Applause]

for my old homies in New England... tune up the snow donkies and wax the boards!

--------------------
"No excuses!.... No regrets!..."

GEET
www.goldrushsigns.com
known associate... pinstripermafia.com

Posts: 724 | From: Florissant, CO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking forward to that slowdown to complete a lot of improvements in the physical infrastructure of the business, but that article is a good reminder to look harder at the intangible infrastructure as well. Thanks, that is good advice!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking about having a mini-meet (about 20 people) with a concentration on glue chipped signs.

I have a customer that owns a local Best Western and also is a big collector of old time stuff or new stuff that looks like old. He has it all over his walls in his resturant that is attached to the hotel.

I was going to ask him if he would donate 5 rooms to the first 5 people that registered and would make a glue chipped panel for him.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura

I would really enjoy learning more about the fine art of glue chipping. Keep me posted on your Micro Meet palns and I'll see if I can possibly make it over that way. Sounds like it would be a fun get-a-way.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The work around here does'nt slow down in the winter . . .just the sign painter [Big Grin]

When it's just TOOOO cold and I have nothing small to do in the heatable paint room, and I can't get the bays above 25,
I like to hibernate with cappuccino and good movies, lol, at like 9am when it's going to be 20 all day....Otherwise I'll have to break down and do book keeping, paperwork, housework . . . .

Winter only lasts one or two days like that here... the rest of the time "really cold" is like lows in the 20's at night and in the high 30's during the day . . .and that only on & off over about 8 weeks . . . [Wink] Average Central Alabama winter day: 40o

UH!! Why come you don't ax what we're gonna do Jun-Jul-Aug ...when it's like 95+ stroke weather EVERYday and 1000% humidity???

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, I would be interested also if you have a mini meet on glue chipping.

My winter plans are:

Cleaning the shop and reorganizing are at the top of my list this winter. Learning how to use the Estimate software I bought in Indy this summer. (and haven't had a chance to use)

Dusting off, and using the sandblasting cabinet I bought myself for Xmas last year and haven't had much time to use.

And, I guess, learning how to budget my time better. Think I will get it all done in those three months? Ha

Pam

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what I am gonna be doing in Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Dec. is gonna be cajoling all my customers into paying up before the end of the month. [Applause] [Applause]

Jan. and Feb. is gonna be spending their money on Dos Equis and Ron Bacardi Blanco!!!! [Razz] [Razz]

As far as planning for future stuff...been doing that all my life...time to concentrate on NOW!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started another post about a meet. I didn't want to hi-jack Jon's.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Laura [Smile]

Smiley: [Wink]

There's no reason you can't follow this advice next summer!

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post Jon... thanks for the reminder.

Down time is always a great time to plan ahead. Generally when we get a slow time I let the crew decide how much they want to work. If we are just off a major job where we worked a bunch of overtime they appreciate the flexible time.

For me it's a time to work on the business. That's when I redo the web-site, organize the studio better and work on things like our own signage and the grounds around the studio/shop.

It's valuable time, even though the pace doesn't have to be nearly as frantic as the busy times. We just went through 10 weeks of "between job time" and got a TON of things done which position us better than ever before. I just which there had been another two weks before we had headed into the next job... but then again the banker probably thought otherwise. [Smile]

My head sure appreciated the relaxing pace of the last weeks!

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camille
Visitor
Member # 501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually end up getting a part time job (I like the break from work but not the break from $$) but this year I'm going to try and batten down the hatches and ride it out. Thanks for the advice Jon - the suggestions made sense!

--------------------
signs

Posts: 535 | From: pa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANY "down time" is always a good time to try new techniques in sign making.As none of us has fully arrived at the top of our potential.
Practice Practice Practice

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I have planned for Dec-Jan-Feb?
BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL! and MORE BASKETBALL!
I coach an Elementary boys team, and an assistant coach for Jr. High Boys (my state champs last year), my wife coaches Sr. High Girls, and my 9 yr. old son is playing Upwards basketball. 4 different schedules.

My regular work slows down to a crawl- which I guess prevents it from interfering with roundball.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips, Jon!

Here in the Sunshine State, we're just getting out of our slow season and gearing up for the mad rush. Tourist season!

Toward the end of the year, my larger clients don't want to go over budget, so they wait til after January to start purchasing again!

Can't wait!

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jon,

I find that clients cram to get their expenses in before the end of the year and the overflow of work keeps me going well in January and sometimes February. Kinda nice to get cheques in advance of the job. Sure does cut into snowmobiling time though!!!(LOL)

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have at least one Kerry victory party a week. well, it's what popped into my mind immediately, I couldn't help it.

-------------------

Now - seriously,
the rest of the time will in all probability just be like all the other times I scheduled and planned for down time, and it simply never really comes.

I do so hope for those contingencies while I am working too many hours in spite of trying to do the work efficiently. I turn down work I don't want to do hoping to create time, but I don't really ever get there.

I have had slow times, of course. After all it's been 26 or more years now that I have had this little business. It's nust not slow very often, because I have a solid base of people who count on me..

When it happens the scenario plays out like this:
I actually notice it's slow, worry a day or two about that I might finally have been exposed as a fraud to everybody, scratch around, catch up on bookwork..clean up some..
Then I say to myself how very equally stressful this type of situation is to the normal way of life when I am way overworked.
Then I wake up and say, what's my worry, I'm doing OK. I need to celebrate it and get to some of those things I have made lists for that are headed by: "When I have some spare time....." and then,
you guessed it,
I'm swamped again.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol... [Smile] Myra

Me, ... I'm dreaming of a break

In the last 30 years I've never taken more than a 2 week vacation, I'd love to take 6 weeks or 2 months one of these years...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike O and I are going to go paint murals in Dave Grundy's apartment in Mexico......Dave the beers on you and I'll bring the one shot or two or three lol

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heading to Mexico on the 1st of November, Cancun will never be the same... Senior Frogs here I come!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil...When you are in Cancun...Do yourself a HUGE favour and take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres....

It is the most wonderful island that you will ever see. (Newfie excepted of course!!!! [Wink] )

If you want a bit of info on Isla Mujeres...E-mail me. [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mario...Forgot to say...If you and the wife need to get away from the snow in Chapleau sometime in January or February you are more than welcome to stay with us for a week.

Humble accomodations..only have 3 bed/3 bath/one with jacuzzi, pool, right on the beach, internet, beer and liquor about 5 minutes walk away. Tons of great restaurants. Sorry...no walk-in cooler though!!!!! [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!