Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Aussie Letterheads pictures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aussie Letterheads pictures
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean to seem to hijack Mike's thread (so I won't), but here are some pix from the Aussie meet last weekend. Hopefully others will add more pix.

I might cut & paste the commentary from the older thread about it.
This is Mark Stokes with his pic of Drew Barrymore I think. It might have taken him an hour and a half to get to this stage, I don't remember (one is in a bit of a dream at a meet [Wink] )  -

and here's another of his larger than life ones  -

and here's a skinny but four foot long panel of a few Americans:  -

Not to be outdone, Ticks did this wide angle view of a pilot who had just splattered into a cockatoo maybe
 -

and big Kev Browne did a beautiful Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (it's 2 ft high_) and later changed the background to a purple
 -

and he did this car in maybe half an hour, from a small photo, as he was 'warming up' his airbrush
 -

Heath Saunders did the expected flying eyeball, only this time it has chromed bevelled wings, about 2 feet long
 -

Mike Meyer very generously donated a T-shirt to all attendees, with a custom made David Butler design- They're another very nice souvenir of a nice bloke & a great weekend!

(edited to delete some pix as there's a limit of 8 per post)

[ October 14, 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cont'd:
Dean Tomaselli striping a truck in a standard style of his
 -

and the usual fridge, here being flamed...
 -

Someone's glass panel, nearing completion:
 -

and a panel Mike Meyer did (not yet completed here) for Ash, which turned out really nice:
 -

I'll sign off for the moment till I optimise some more pix, and firstly get some catch-up sleep & catch-up work done!

The weekend was a blast- sorry to all who didn't make it there!

The commentary from earlier:

quote:
Well, we're all so busy that no one's posting any details or photos. Like trusting letterheads we all left our USB leads at home so we can't post any pix from our cameras till later, but everyone's so absorbed in the spirit of it all that we're having a great time.

Aussie John hasn't changed much, although I'm sure he's growing a Yankee accent. We'll have to chain him up a bit more often.

Yankee Mike, or Mazeppa Mike, has proven to be a wonderful bloke- we've just had our Federal Government elections, and have voted him for Prime Minister, but were told that a Letterheads Party wasn't a legitimate political entity.

Mike's been giving us a few talks, learning to blow a didgereedoo (or trying to learn as it involves sucking, blowing & vibrating the tongue simultaneously- something we aussies are very competant at ), and Mike's brush scripts are just beautiful.

Rod (Ticks) has been hanging off his iwata, along with Heath Saunders, doing some great panels.

Big Kev has flamed the ash trays, fridge, and anything else that moves or can be restrained for more than a minute, as well as painting a Major Mitchell Cockatoo that looks better than real life- it's awesome.

Ace (Adam Howison) has been a great help with behind the scenes organising & following suit with cockatoos, flames & assorted great panels. Added to that is a pair of flamed shoes he did (a la "The Flash") awarded to the "Young Gun" of the meet- the very worthy Ash Carver from Adelaide.

Mark Stokes has everyone's jaws dropping with his oversized airbrush portraits- so fast and so darn accurate- plus a full sized full colour panel of Pamela Anderson (complete with realistically inflated parts)- It's a sight to see- great work!

Ian S-K has given a small slate carving workshop, modelled on Rob Cooper's styles, which has had a keen little bit of interest- it's not that difficult, really!

Brian Petty from Cowra now features as the ONLY aussie to have attended EVERY national aussie letterheads meet since their inception- congratulations Brian.

Liam Uppill from Clare used his new Versacamm to plot & print some great stickers for everyone to take home- the colours & detail are too good to be true. It was designed on a combination of photoshop & corel by Jamie, one of our host Brett Sustrom's employees.

John Jordan has a beautiful home made panel prepared for the meet, and everyone attending gets to keep a glass panel- about half were underway. Ian S-K woke everyone up by stippling his from the back, while looking from the front, till it fell off the rack and scattered throughout the aircraft hanger.

Brett Sunstrom has a lovely wife-Sue- who has kept us all topped up with caffiene, bread rolls, scones, and healthy tasty lunches & dinners, and is still smiling- she's a good one!

Ron Andrews made the trek from Canberra on his new 1200cc BMW complete with GPS satellite navigation system & aussie map built in. He organised the plaques for the weekend, and gave us another dummy presentation (or is it a gnome presentation- they ought to be able to breed by now, he's made so many, but I guess most have been male gnomes, and Ron's very handy with a sharp knife, which says it all...) (poor gnomes).

Two families braved the Nullabor Plain to come over from West Aussie. [to translate- Nullabor comes from the latin Null (no) Arbor (tree)- and for over 1000 km there's not a solitary tree, just desert-Each to his own I suppose...!] that trip is somewhere around 2500 km each way, or more. Stan Butler from Parnell Signs rode his motorbike over here. (He's still recovering) . The Lilly family- big Kim & co- also drove over from WA, and have been getting involved in the glass & slate panels amongst other things.

Sarge (John Serjeant spelt right there!) and Ricky have survived their drive of 2000 ish km- now they have to go back!!! Me- I'm flying, after I con a lift back to Adelaide airport on Monday.

Dean Tomaselli (who resembles a movie star from a 1950's detective story on TV) gave a demo of lettering & striping a prime mover (which you may call a tractor trailer?) We'd all like to be that quick!

A few well-known faces are conspicuous by their absence, (for various reasons) while there are a lot of first timers, which is great for the movement.

Brett's other employee Roger somehow manages to work around this invasion of 'his' space! Brett's workshop is a huge aircraft hanger. There must be two dozen caravans, six garden sheds, twenty ? cars, Brett's workshop itself, and room for a few games of tennis inside it.

There are a few more people whose names I've forgotten as they aren't wearing their nametags. The weekend has been a "Panel Jam" with no surplus murals or buses to paint, but it's working out really nicely for everyone involved.

More updates later as I can think of them, unless Mr Meyer gets here first!

so please add more pix, Mike, Ticks, Brett, others...

[ October 14, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool pics Ian - Thanks!

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Jordan
Deceased

Member # 2368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Jordan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post on the meet..........

The gilded glass panel you photographed was completed about a metre from where you were working....I did the panel for Ross of Rainbow Paints, the major sponsor of the meet.

As usual, the journalistic media cannot be trusted to get the facts correct.

Take care, regards John

--------------------
Aussie John
Caringbah, N.S.W. Australia

man makes a thing of beauty of that which he loves

Posts: 148 | From: Caringbah, N.S.W. Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"journalistic media" - ha! I'm just an amateur, but I knew there was some good reason that I photographed that particular panel. I was just a bit sleepy when I posted the pix & forgot the creator's name! I'm guessing I took it on Saturday morning, John.

Thanks!

PS I don't have a group pic, can you post one?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian
I owe you a panel!

i'll try and make one in new Zealand in a fortnight!

Thanks for the kind words!
thanks to Rod Tickle for the CD of pics and for picking up the roses for Susan for saturday night!
Australia is full of great, warm people!
Everyone should make it here at least once in life!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Hi Mike, that'd be lovely, but I won't hold you to it- just enjoy your holiday!

I've just realised, a week late, that I intended to bring a packet of Tim Tams to Renmark for you- just too preoccupied I suppose!

best wishes

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ian, thanks heaps for the update. Great pics mate!!!

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rene st-pierre
Visitor
Member # 4116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rene st-pierre   Email rene st-pierre       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the pics
im glad can see the work of people
i can see a lot of airbrush at this meet
bad for me not can be here
maybe another year
c-ya
bye

--------------------
rene st pierre
quebec city
canada

red & white 81 forever 666

Posts: 290 | From: quebec city | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like another awsome OZ Letterhead meet! Spitting tacks I couldn't make it there. [Frown]

Hope next year we have one closer ... I just couldn't afford the two days off to get there, the weekend, and another two days to get home !!!!!

Anyway, who won the fridge? Mine is somewhere in USA! But at least it has a good home with a good mate [Wink]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow what some incredible work guys!! My wife read the post about playing the didgereedoo and she wants me to learn to play it. I have no idea what for, hehehe.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] WOW!! Fantastic work!!

Great meets are happening all the time!!!

More pics please!!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!